Dell U2412M still best 16:10, 24" option?

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
After the recent theft of my belongings I'm looking at buying replacement LCD monitors. Previously (2012) I had settled on U2412M 24" LCD monitors as the best choice for my purposes (programming, Photoshop, After Effects, 3DS Max and the occasional gaming, mostly).

Looking at the currently available 24" monitors I see some new Asus PA, HP and NEC monitors among others, but in addition to being generally a 100 Euro more expensive than the U2412M they don't seem to offer much over the latter. USB 3.0 is nice, but since one generally uses the built-in hub for keyboard and mouse, it's not a requirement. The IPS panels themselves are roughly the same too. The 'coarse' AG coating on the U2412M doesn't seem to bother me.

Considering the low price of the U2412M (~250 Euro), is it still the best deal, even when compared to ~350 Euro IPS 16:10 monitors?

If the AG doesn't bother you, I think you will be fine with the Dell, and not missing out on anything :)

If you were happy with it you'll probably be so again. That is, if you didnt notice the problems with it such as non-adjustable aggressive overdrive, PWM dimming and fairly grainy anti-glare coating.

I can't seem to find the PWM numbers, but Prad.de and tftcentral don't seem to mention it. Also, no crosshatching, just really grainy when on a white screen.

NCX to the rescue as always. Even though its old, I'd be interested to know what the pwm freq is.

The Dell P2414H seems to be a good alternative to the U2412M now as long as you don't specifically need 16:10 aspect ratio. PWM free, light AG coating, better contrast ratio, good pixel response times, no overshoot, low lag

@NCX - the HP Z24i seems quite nice. Sadly the review on PRAD is still paywalled, but what can I expect from its IPS panel? Is it 8-bit? No PWM is a big plus.

@Drags - I looked at the monitor, yes. For my work the extra 120 pixels are very welcome, however :)

Last edited:
Regarding the HP Z24i and whether the panel is 6-bit or 8-bit, I don't think LG makes any 24" 16:10 AH-IPS S-RGB panels at all, do they? Last time I checked, the choices were either 6-bit S-RGB or Adobe color.

It may not matter a whole lot if FRC is decent. But as far as 8 bit/6 bit stuff, we may have seen the last of the 8-bit 24" SRGB 16:10 panels.

Is there a 24" 16:10 display with the same subtle AG coating as the Dell U2413 (I.e., not grainy like the U2412M), but without the overdrive issues?

Edit: Meant to say U2413 not the U2410.

Last edited:
Since when was the U2410's AG 'subtle'? :D
Ooops. I meant the Dell U2413.

From TFTCentral
The screen coating on the U2413 is much like that featured on other recent Dell IPS screens like the U2713H and U2713HM, all of which has been a positive change. It is a normal anti-glare (AG) offering as opposed to any kind of glossy coating. However, this is contrary to a lot of other older IPS based screens which usually feature a grainy and aggressive solution. In fact the Dell U2410 featured such a coating and was often criticized for its grainy, dirty appearance, especially on light coloured backgrounds. When Dell released the 27" U2713HM users were impressed by the new lighter AG coating which is an almost semi-glossy type coating. This has been retained on the new U2713H and U2413 as well thankfully. Dell seem to have toned down the AG coating on recent models which is great news. It retains its anti-glare properties to avoid unwanted reflections, but does not produce an overly grainy or dirty image that some AG coatings can.
I wonder if the HP Z24i is similar, but without the overdrive issues?

The Z24i & BenQ BL2411PT have similar performance with a few trade-offs. The BenQ's overdrive is better than the HP's (BenQ AMA High=slightly faster pixel response times vs. HP's Overdrive Off. On introduces overshoot). The HP has a lighter & more reflective coating (same coating as U2413H) while the BenQ's is stronger. I recommend spending the 3$ to read PRAD's Z24i review. Neither is plagued by obvious overshoot ghosting unlike the Dell U2x13H, 3014 & S series monitors.

The Asus VS24AH's coating will be the same as the PB248Q & BL2411PT=grainier vs. HP but lighter vs. the U2412.

Last edited:
At what % does the PWM flicker become prominent? I was thinking of getting this unit for a not-particularly-discerning office user. They're happy with an HP LP2475w, so I don't think the grain will be an issue, nor will the overdrive. It's a bright environment, so I'm thinking the brightness will probably be high enough to avoid significant PWM flicker.
True, true. Although, what could be a problem is that it has quite bright max brightness. So even in a bright environment the potential problems with PWM is there. On the other hand lots of people arent bothered by this regardless.

Mind that the HP is a CCFL monitor. Probably high quality wide gamut CCFL too? So its difficult to compare.

Btw. Dell uses PCBs that have 360hz PWM for the U2412 and monitors from that era. Might be some variations. For example there is one revision of U2312 that is PWM free.

For example there is one revision of U2312 that is PWM free.
A06?
Some local folks claimed Revision A00 is PWM-free too. They were unable to detect any PWM flickering (either there's no PWM or it has a pretty high frequency).

Hi guys! Im about to buy a new monitor, however I am not sure whether to get the P2414H or the VS24AH. I would really love to get the new Z24i since I like semi-glossy monitors but it is just too expensive. As far as I understand what favours the VS24AH over the P2414H is the 8bit vs. 6bit+FRC panel. Can anyone give me a good advise?

Hi guys! Im about to buy a new monitor, however I am not sure whether to get the P2414H or the VS24AH. I would really love to get the new Z24i since I like semi-glossy monitors but it is just too expensive. As far as I understand what favours the VS24AH over the P2414H is the 8bit vs. 6bit+FRC panel. Can anyone give me a good advise?

Both of those are 6 bit + FRC, to the best of my knowledge. The 16:10 ratio favors the VS24AH.

My advice probably would be to wait until Black Friday (if in the US), and then look for a sale on the Z24i.

Back