Dell U2412M

GTA = Greater Toronto Area

As for this source, even dell premium lists the monitor with no discount, 399. So youre saying you have a source that beats even dell premium by 25%?

Anyone located in / around the GTA can contact me.

The source I have is $300 new from Dell for #1 monitor, you might get a better deal if you're ordering 2+. If we all get it together it might be even cheaper :p
So it only works for GTA?

Dayum another thing to add to the "Montreal is jealous" thread...

I already got 2x U2311h's for $400 shipped a few months ago... must... resist...

Must... save... money...

(What *would* I do with a U2412m.... )

Mine doesn't and so far no one else has had any either, so it seems in that regard, quality should be good and you are likely to receive a replacement without dead/stuck pixels or sub-pixels.

I got my U2412M a few days ago, and it has a stuck pixel. When I display black, that one pixel is always blue.

So it only works for GTA?

Dayum another thing to add to the "Montreal is jealous" thread...

I'm thinking Digital-Viper-X is talking about doing a group buy for a better discount, with GTA peoples.

I got my U2412M a few days ago, and it has a stuck pixel. When I display black, that one pixel is always blue.

You can replace it with their super duper over-advertised ultrasharp warranty. I used the online chat for the U2711 I had.

Well, as I have seen happened to may others, DELL once again served the monitors a lot eariler than it was supposed to, had an expected date of arrival on the 31st of august and they were delivered yesterday morning (ordered tuesday afternoon, less than 48 hours delivery!).

I am no expert at monitor reviewing and analysis, so I will just write my impressions as a regular user. The monitors have come to replace a dual screen setup made of a Samsung Syncmaster 204B and an LG Flatron L1413S, quite a big upgrade.

Also I have not had many time available to spend with the monitors and won't be able to spend more till the begining of september :(

The first impressions before even connecting the displays were very good, the pretty looks, the low weight, the easily adjustable mount, the nice ergonomics, USB hub… Overall it looks very well constructed and it has a very professional but not too serious look.

Firstly I connected one of them along with my Samsung 204B for some comparisons which proved interesting. I have to say that as I had not much time to play with them I used 10e settings right away, as I appreciated it looked better than default I kept it. From my comparisons with the Samsung I have to say the U2412M showed better colors, a very good and not too bright white (the white in my Samsung has always been yellowish), a very clear and sharp image but a bit worst black level which surprised me. Angles of vision were clearly improved also. The OSD is extremely simple and comfortable to use, and the buttons work nicely. Having both screens close together with a dark image I could easily appreciate the IPS glow that many talk about, it seemed to me that this “glow” was the responsible of the worst black I appreciated in comparison with the Samsung 204B.

After that I mounted both U2412M together to check if any of them had any dead pixels or evident bleeding which resulted in no dead pixels and regarding the bleeding… won’t be able to tell really. I have taken a picture with my iPhone so you can see the same as I:

2xU2412Mlow.JPG

I could not go backwards more than 1,5 meters and it was looking the same at that distance. It didn’t seem terrible to me and while using the monitors I could not appreciate it but I had no chance to play a movie with dark images or play a game for a while so no idea if it would bother me or not. From what you can see from the pictures… ¿is there any noticeable bleeding in any of them? ¿how will that bleeding affect me while using them?

I could also notice the coating on the surface, doesn’t bother me at all, actually I prefer that rather than shiny screens…

Overall I am very happy with both monitors, colors look extremely well the white is close to perfect, text and image is clear and sharp, very good viewing angles, excellent ergonomics. I have to say that only could experience them during 1 hour, so will need to spend a lot more time with them before I can make a conclusion, can’t wait!!!

PRAD says it have 93% sRGB coverage:
vergleich-srgb1-thumb.jpg

doesn't lack of full sRGB support defeats the purpose of buying U2412M as sRGB monitor over U2410 in the first place? :confused: and opposed to U2410 it is uncorrectable flaw...

You're in for a surprise! This is going to be a huge upgrade GL2814.

I've just received and setup my U2412M! You're right, it's certainly a HUGE upgrade!!
Thankfully, there's no backlight bleeding or any dead (sub)pixels.:)

Of course there's some IPS glow, but I'll get used to that. The colours look great out of the box, but I'm going to try TFT Central's .icc profile and 10e's settings.

The AG-Coating isn't too aggressive, by the way. I'm already used to it!

I don't have time to read this entire thread.

Could someone please do a pros vs cons comparison of the U2412, U2410, and ZR24w?

Thanks.

PRAD says it have 93% sRGB coverage:

doesn't lack of full sRGB support defeats the purpose of buying U2412M as sRGB monitor over U2410 in the first place? :confused: and opposed to U2410 it is uncorrectable flaw...

The U2410 has a bigger under-coverage of sRGB when in sRGB mode, so unless you are using it in Adobe RGB mode and using color management in a color managed program it will be worse for sRGB than the U2412M.

It's not a flaw, and it's actually quite a high coverage of sRGB.

... senna?

:D

No, he's posing as maxxx88 or something like that. He left the same 120hz versus 60hz posts on www.overclock.net.

The U2410 has a bigger under-coverage of sRGB when in sRGB mode, so unless you are using it in Adobe RGB mode and using color management in a color managed program it will be worse for sRGB than the U2412M.

It's not a flaw, and it's actually quite a high coverage of sRGB.

What are you talking about?
U2410 has 100% sRGB coverage from what I see from prad.

What are you talking about?
U2410 has 100% sRGB coverage from what I see from prad.

Reading is KEY

It's not a flaw, and it's actually quite a high coverage of sRGB. If anything, the U2410's extended gamut is a bigger flaw, because in regular use, getting 120% of sRGB coverage yields screwed up colors. And if it's anything like the U2711, the sRGB mode on the U2410 will yield some not-so-perfect results because the gamut limiting is not exact in all parts of the spectrum.

Last edited:
Well, as I have seen happened to may others, DELL once again served the monitors a lot eariler than it was supposed to, ...so will need to spend a lot more time with them before I can make a conclusion, can’t wait!!!

Thanks for the review. I also have a 204BW and recently bought a U2412M. I hope it's a big improvement :)

but actually everything looks so much better in aRGB and there is 100% sRGB coverage in this mode so when color-aware professional program demands it then it will get it :cool:

but I understand some people don't like AdobeRGB. As strange as it seems, there would be no point in having it and not using it I think... :rolleyes:

but I understand some people don't like AdobeRGB. As strange as it seems, there would be no point in having it and not using it I think... :rolleyes:

How about the fact that 99% of all content is intended for display in sRGB.

but actually everything looks so much better in aRGB and there is 100% sRGB coverage in this mode so when color-aware professional program demands it then it will get it :cool:

Stuff designed for print looks much better in aRGB. Stuff designed for computer display, by and large, looks better in sRGB.

LOLANG's contact got me the $320 price, so I put the order in and am now anxiously awaiting the monitor! Thanks LOLANG! :D

Here's my U2412m:

u2412mb.jpg

sidebyside.jpg

blackpatch.jpg

I used 10e's settings and colors are great. Stock settings had a blue hue to the white and now it looks great with 10e's settings.

I don't like it too bright so I'm just using a brightness of 20. Everthing looks fine except on a white page there seems to be a patch of black on the right side and left side as shown in the picture above on the the google page.

Side by side picture of my current Samsung 215TW with the U2412m. I love my Samsung it is perfect.

Can't really see in the picture but the top right has a bit of yellow tint and the bottm right has that glow, is that IPS glow or blacklight bleeding? How does my LCD look does it need to be exchanged?

Thanks.

Can't really see in the picture but the top right has a bit of yellow tint and the bottm right has that glow, is that IPS glow or blacklight bleeding? How does my LCD look does it need to be exchanged?

If the picture that has both screens side by side is taken from a further distance than the first photo, it could be just normal IPS-glow. They're a bit small shots to judge from, but if the dual screen picture is what you actually see, then in my opinion it looks almost as backlight bleed free.

Reading is KEY

It's not a flaw, and it's actually quite a high coverage of sRGB. If anything, the U2410's extended gamut is a bigger flaw, because in regular use, getting 120% of sRGB coverage yields screwed up colors. And if it's anything like the U2711, the sRGB mode on the U2410 will yield some not-so-perfect results because the gamut limiting is not exact in all parts of the spectrum.

understanding is also better than reading.
U2410 is a good monitor for sRGB color accurate work since you can use the AdobeRGB "preset".
Talking about sRGB or AdobeRGB outside a color managed environment has really no sense imho.

understanding is also better than reading.
U2410 is a good monitor for sRGB color accurate work since you can use the AdobeRGB "preset".
Talking about sRGB or AdobeRGB outside a color managed environment has really no sense imho.

Your post makes no sense to me. The only time you should be talking about Adobe RGB versus sRGB modes is outside a color managed environment. If you are color managed (and preferably calibrated) you don't care about sRGB mode.

But really if you want a monitor that will do that convincingly you will spend a few extra bucks and get a similar panel in a far superior screen: NEC PA241W-BK-SV

I said "unless you are using it in Adobe RGB mode and color management and a color managed program it will be worse for sRGB than the U2412m".... You are repeating what I said.

You can use the U2410 in either fashion:

1) sRGB mode with a generic Windows or Mac sRGB profile, or using colorimeter and software to calibrate the sRGB mode.
2) In Adobe RGB mode with a wide gamut profile for proper gamut transformations

Both approaches have issues

Approach 1) yields under coverages in greens and blues far larger than the U2412M, and Approach 2) requires using color managed software, meaning that outside color managed software you are seeing over saturated and blown out images. So with approach 2) you are going to be switching back and forth between Adobe RGB mode to sRGB mode which is painful.

Buying a U2410 without the need for Adobe RGB mode is a waste of money IMHO. It's a fine monitor, but that's not the target. Same for the Asus PA246Q. And notice, Prad does not list the sRGB coverage in sRGB mode on the U2410 and does not comment on it.

That's where you buy a U2412M, for sRGB color. Wide gamut > U2410, sRGB > U2412M.

TFTCentral's 2D diagram that they achieved in Lacie Blue Eye Pro with an I1 spectrophotometer shows the gamut coverage of the U2412M as being nearly perfect, as well as the white color temperature being almost exactly 6500K. This is also why I like reading different reviews, because they get different units and we see how much variance there is.

XoR said it was an un-correctable flaw after he bought a used U2410 and gushed incomprehensible over on the U2410 thread on how much he loves it. Go figure.

what I saied is that who care color works in a color managed environment,
who works in a color managed environment will find U2410 better than U2412 for both AdobeRGB and sRGB.

So your
Wide gamut > U2410, sRGB > U2412M
is a no sense to me :)

Here's my U2412m:
blackpatch.jpg

I don't like it too bright so I'm just using a brightness of 20. Everthing looks fine except on a white page there seems to be a patch of black on the right side and left side as shown in the picture above on the the google page.
Thanks for posting that photo. Since I'm the same way and have a monitor coming, I've been wondering what effects come with taking a profile or settings with, say, brightness=40, and running them at 20. Does the whole thing, or certain settings, have to be recalibrated for that?

I was getting those black bands on the sides. I'm using 3 of these and it turns out the black bands were the drop shadows from the windows on the other screens (using Mac OSX). The windows were overlapping the screens just a tiny bit, but it was enough to put the shadows on the screen edges. I simply adjusted my window sizes a tiny bit and the shadow went away. May not be your problem but it's what happened to me.

U2412M if it match sRGB then it's perfect monitor for it's price. If it have less like PRAD measured it is only very good for it's price :(

How about the fact that 99% of all content is intended for display in sRGB.
all content is intended to be viewed in a way so it looks best to viewer :rolleyes:
for me sRGB display won't do...

U2412M if it match sRGB then it's perfect monitor for it's price. If it have less like PRAD measured it is only very good for it's price :(

Total rubbish.

all content is intended to be viewed in a way so it looks best to viewer :rolleyes:
for me sRGB display won't do...

If you have no interest in an sRGB display, then why are you in this thread? Asking to join Senna and Slanti on my ignore list?

A bit OT, perhaps, but when does Dell's 100% satisfaction period kick in? When they ship it, or when it's delivered? The reason I ask is that mine is supposed to be here on Monday, but I live directly in the path of hurricane Irene and delivery may be delayed for a while depending on how bad the roads are. It may get here on Monday for all I know, but if it took an extra week I wouldn't be surprised either.

all content is intended to be viewed in a way so it looks best to viewer :rolleyes:for me sRGB display won't do...

Then you should read reviews and find the display with the worst possible color accuracy if you want everything to look completely oversaturated and unatural.

Last edited:
I just recently purchased this screen after reading through this thread, While I've absolutely nothing bad to say about it, it's fantastic, I've noticed when using 10e's settings or TFT's colour profile there is a noticeable red tinge to the screen. Has anyone else noticed anything like it? Do I have a defective panel or something?

Took some more pictures with different colors using pixel buddy. No dead pixels which is great.

Pics are taken 2 feet away. Looks good?

blackbu.jpg

blueyd.jpg

greenji.jpg

redtp.jpg

yelloweo.jpg

whiteeg.jpg

whiteleft.jpg

whiteright.jpg

whitetop.jpg

I've noticed when using 10e's settings or TFT's colour profile there is a noticeable red tinge to the screen. Has anyone else noticed anything like it? Do I have a defective panel or something?

Absolutely not! Each panel has some variation. My 3 arrived on Friday, so I started off with 10e's base settings then adjusted from there until things looked right on various images and compared to my other screens (as I don't have a colourimeter at the moment). There was definite colour differential at the same settings on each.. so don't worry about it.. just adjust from there. :)

All 3 screens are pretty much defect free. The only thing that took me a bit by surprise was the IPS glow on blacks. Coming from S-PVA/A-MVA I wasn't really used to the slight silvery sheen on blacks off angle, so that took a little getting used to. I don't remember it happening to quite this degree on my 2005FPW (S-IPS) either. After a day or so of light usage, it's becoming less and less noticeable to me, though.

I have to wait for some bits to turn up next week to upgrade my games PC before I can try gaming across them all (6950 2GB directcu ii, cables, sabertooth p67, 2500k etc).. I'm pondering doing a bezel strip for Eyefinity at some point. If so I'll post disassembly pics.

PQiut.jpg

I just recently purchased this screen after reading through this thread, While I've absolutely nothing bad to say about it, it's fantastic, I've noticed when using 10e's settings or TFT's colour profile there is a noticeable red tinge to the screen. Has anyone else noticed anything like it? Do I have a defective panel or something?

using the same settings that someone else computed with another monitor is unuseful.
every monitor are different, fine tuning a monitor with settings calculated on another monitor is nothing good.

I have three Eizo and I use completely different settings to make them similar.

what I saied is that who care color works in a color managed environment,
who works in a color managed environment will find U2410 better than U2412 for both AdobeRGB and sRGB.

So your
Wide gamut > U2410, sRGB > U2412M
is a no sense to me :)

I don't think it ever will. Too bad.

The point is, if you don't need Adobe RGB, get an sRGB monitor, and don't worry about exact percentage of coverage.

Total rubbish.

If you have no interest in an sRGB display, then why are you in this thread? Asking to join Senna and Slanti on my ignore list?

In 3...2....1

wow, so negativity from saying that this monitor is only 93% sRGB and I like wide-gamut for it's versatility...

you people feeling good?

The gamut on mine was like PRAD's (possibly worse):

gamut.png

Not only that but the blue primary was 46% too bright and could not be corrected!

pands.png

But, PRAD's and tftcentral monitors don't have the luminance problem with blue, so I may have got a dud panel.

Currently deciding whether to roll the dice and order another one.

Back