Dell U2711

I got my U2711 today and the AG coating is not bothering me at all, it not worse than the Samsung 305T Plus i had, great details compared to the PVA panel in my old Samsung 30":D

The current Dell price is $849.00. Might pull the trigger. Is this a good deal?

Greetings!

Hope this monitor is a fine all rounder, performs well, reliable, and has a long life-expectancy.

Is this fine monitor scales well to about 1920x1080/1200 in games?

Just because possibly my ATI Radeon 5770 1GB would be insufficient for its native resolution.
Perhaps buying another one of this GPU would solve the issue?
Or which single ATI gpu would you recommend for this LCD?

Thanx if you know sg.
Bye.

Funny thing is, DP port didn't work with my m11xR2 - but that laptop's DP worked with my U2311h (I think it was called that?).

Then the DP worked with a HD5770, HD6870 (but would lose the link all the time), then a HD6950. I don't really know what is up with it, lol. I dunno why the m11xR2 wouldn't work (and I had a M11xR1 before that - well, two, after RMA of the initial unit - and it worked fine, too, though only on the nVidia GPU output [since iirc, the outputs were only keyed to the nVidia GPU on the R1]).

Then again, maybe I should just blame the Intel IGP, since I've rarely gotten that sucker to work with just about anything.

I've started getting horizontal colored lines filling the exact left half of my u2711.

It will happen randomly throughout the day (not related to what I'm doing). It's as if the display is divided into two halves - the right side is perfect; left is just going crazy with shaking lines.

Any idea what it could be?? I've noticed that sometimes if I tap/hit once on the top of the bezel where it's happening, it will suddenly stop (though not always).

Strangely, I've had two other Dell ultrasharp monitors before this that each got the same problem after a couple years (hence causing me to upgrade each time). I've been using the same laptop (via vga) through all these monitors, though they always start out fine. Could my old Dell laptop's intel graphics (82855) be somehow wearing out the monitors?

Very expensive monitor to have just die. Thanks for any suggestions! Surely someone knows what it could be...

Last edited:
Strangely, I've had two other Dell ultrasharp monitors before this that each got the same problem after a couple years (hence causing me to upgrade each time). I've been using the same laptop (via vga) through all these monitors, though they always start out fine. Could my old Dell laptop's intel graphics (82855) be somehow wearing out the monitors?

Twice might be a coincidence. Three times is a conspiracy. Suspect your laptop's VGA port. Get a new laptop with digital outputs.

Twice might be a coincidence. Three times is a conspiracy. Suspect your laptop's VGA port. Get a new laptop with digital outputs.

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know if it's possible for a computer's graphics card to wear out a monitor somehow. I know it's not the vga port because the u2711 also has the horiz. lines with other input sources now. However, it seems almost impossible that three ultrasharp monitors can have this exact same fate, though they've all been connected to my 7 yr old laptop...

thanks for any ideas. In case it's something else, would hate to replace the computer and reach the same problem with another u2711.

Electronics quality on VGA outputs is probably very cheap on monitors these days. Honestly they should just get rid of the connection. They are mostly included as an afterthought, guess Dell cheaped out. You really need a new laptop.. or a monitor other than an Ultrasharp, your choice..

Electronics quality on VGA outputs is probably very cheap on monitors these days. Honestly they should just get rid of the connection. They are mostly included as an afterthought, guess Dell cheaped out. You really need a new laptop.. or a monitor other than an Ultrasharp, your choice..

VGA ports are included on laptops mainly for the business crowd. VGA is the most common port on projectors :)

I agree that three different monitors that failed with the same issue would seem to indicate that it's your laptop causing it, somehow.

Just bought a pair of these for our photo/direct print people.

Hey guys, been having a new issue with my U2711 not fully entering a sleep state. The screen used to turn off and be completely black, but now it seems to be partially backlit. Instead of taking 5-6 seconds for the monitor to wake up, it's instant. What's the deal? :confused:

Thanks.

U2711 owner here. I just upgraded my video card to a geforce gt 730 and am having problems with running the monitor at 2560x1600 resolution. The text is all fuzzy and pixelated. I'm using a DVI-D dual link cable on both ends.

Back