Dell U3011 $1000 @ Newegg - 1 Day Only

I find it hard to jump on this when compared to the 27" import option @ 400$. For 1200$ I could get 3 of those compared to one of these.....

Yep...I always wanted one if these but I love my cheap shimian. Good deal if you have to have
the dell

Yeah...jump if you need this particular monitor.

As for me..I'm sticking with my $375 dollar Crossover from Korea!! In fact, I got two of them!

I had been wanting a 27-30 inch 2560xXXXX monitor for a LONG LONG LONG time and couldn't ever justify the $1000+ price. When I found the Korean deals...I jumped immediately and couldn't be happier!

Having had both glossy and AG finishes...I definitely prefer the glossy finish. Both comes with their downfall (reflections vs dirty, less sharp image), but I much prefer to live with reflections.

Yeah...jump if you need this particular monitor.

As for me..I'm sticking with my $375 dollar Crossover from Korea!! In fact, I got two of them!

I had been wanting a 27-30 inch 2560xXXXX monitor for a LONG LONG LONG time and couldn't ever justify the $1000+ price. When I found the Korean deals...I jumped immediately and couldn't be happier!

Having had both glossy and AG finishes...I definitely prefer the glossy finish. Both comes with their downfall (reflections vs dirty, less sharp image), but I much prefer to live with reflections.

Are the Korean one you're talking about the one from the hot deal thread?

Gotta laugh at the noobs on SlickDeals who try and compare the Dell U3011 to a 32" HDTV wondering why anyone would spend $999.

Are the Korean one you're talking about the one from the hot deal thread?

Yeah. There was a Hot Deal thread on them a while back. Its still active but I think it got moved to the discussion forum. There are 3 or 4 brands (Catleap, Crossover, Shimian, etc). All 27" 2560x1440, glossy panel, IPS screens. Exact same LG panel as the Apple Cinema display.

There are some small downsides of course. You are likely getting an A- panel...so could be some minor imperfections. While I think they claim to have a year warranty...being in Korea, you pretty much have no warranty.

So if you are willing to take a small risk, definitely much better deal IMO

If you're going to bring up the Korean panels every time someone posts a new monitor it's going to get old fast.

The 3000 series is a fantastic monitor if you want the larger pixel density, a proper AG coating (like those of us who work in real office buildings with sh*t lighting), and a set of inputs/scaler/features that wasn't dragged off the cheapest PCB they could find. You're paying more than the Korean panels simply because you're paying extra for the warranty, the color calibration, and the IO.

If you're mostly playing Crysis the $400 monitors are far more then adequate, but $1000 is still a great deal compared to the $1400 you'd normally pay for this screen. And most of those people are the same people who pay $5000 for a certified professional workstation rather than building a box themselves.

Plus if you're a professional, this is a great tax write off.

None of what you said is worth the $1000 except the warranty. Then again, you need a warranty for a $1000 monitor, not so much for a $400 one. Color calibration can be done with software and I would expect that to be a bit more precise than the OSD menus. I work in a "real" office with crap lighting and work on a 27" Apple Cinema for my Mac work. The glare is not that distracting at all. But then again I can focus my eyes on the correct information. I even have a large picture window directly behind me. Other than the flat glass on front of my work cinema, there is no difference with my Shimian. They are not next to each other, but makes the difference if there is one, even less important.

Not against anyone who feels they need this or can use it as a tax write-off, but don't downplay the korean options. I have not touched any of my OSD buttons on any monitor at my work since I initially set them all up.

Heh lets go into this deeper since my brain ain't working today. If I buy this 30inch now, I can write it off by saying its work related correct? Cauuuse I would totally buy one for when I'm working at home and then write it off. I do lots of work from home on the weekends and my 3 16x9 23's bug me sometimes

I picked up an HP 27" LED Monitor about a year ago from Fry's (they price matched newegg and knocked off 100 dollars)

Been rocking it every since -- 1920X1080P Crossfire configuration means I have a bigass sexy screen, all the bells and whistles turned on :)

Last monitor was a 24" UltraSharp -- loved it but it was getting old.

Uhmmm, excuse my Noobness and Stupidity but... why would I need to let go of 1000 cheeseburgers when for a fraction of that money I can get a decent one? :rolleyes:

I guess what I am asking is... what is so special about those monitors? :eek:

Uhmmm, excuse my Noobness and Stupidity but... why would I need to let go of 1000 cheeseburgers when for a fraction of that money I can get a decent one? :rolleyes:

I guess what I am asking is... what is so special about those monitors? :eek:

high resolution, good color reproduction (eIPS, though not the best... i think only 10 bit), good warranty

for any 27" monitor or above with resolution higher than 1200p, you'll pay >$1100... now, they're on sale, good price for any professional who needs it (eg video/photo editor)

otherwise, a cheaper Catleap/korean $350 monitor might be more price-effective

Saying you can't compare is also forgetting the fact that it's 3" bigger and has nearly half a million extra pixels (2560x1600)

30071.jpg

It'd be the same as saying "why buy a 24" monitor for $150 when a 21" is only $80?" 3" is a pretty substantial difference.

They're both going to get the job done - but comparing a Hyundai Sonata with a BMW 3 series and saying "They both have 4 wheels and this ones half the price!" isn't really an appropriate comparison. That's why most people who bought those monitors have to disassemble them and mount them to a 3rd party stand, or prop it up with a can of PBR.

If you were comparing to the U2711 or the glossy Apple display then it's justifiable to ditch the scalar and features for the price.

As far as taxes go - consult your accountant.

yeah I love slickdeals - but there are some true tech retards on there who have no idea about technology.
Not necessarily that different from here on [H]. Present company excluded, of course. ;)

Heh lets go into this deeper since my brain ain't working today. If I buy this 30inch now, I can write it off by saying its work related correct? Cauuuse I would totally buy one for when I'm working at home and then write it off. I do lots of work from home on the weekends and my 3 16x9 23's bug me sometimes
No, unless you can claim it as a business expense, such as being self-employed. If you're working from home but employed w/ someone else, then I don't think you can claim it as a business expense. Just like you can't claim your commute to work as a tax write-off. But I'm sure people try. :D

You could take a tax write off on the other screen too and still have a lot more money sitting around.

There are a lot of reasons for this monitor, especially if price isn't a major concern. 16:10 vs 16:9 and an extra 3" is a big deal, and 160 pixels vertically isn't something to sneeze at either. The Samsung A- screens at 350-400$ SHOULD be brought up, because they are a significant discount for a reasonable compromise.

As far as gamers go, if you are going to be buying a 30" gaming monitor, you should probably be looking more at the zr30w instead of the U3011 IMHO anyways.

I probably don't need this monitor, but I bought it when it was on sale last year and don't regret spending a single penny. It's glorious. Some people can't or don't want to justify the money spent for something like this, and that's fine. I bought it because I could, and if anyone wants to settle for less that's entirely their option and I'm not even going to talk down about those other monitors so I don't understand why people have to downplay the U3011. This is my 3rd 30" monitor and I've thought about going back, but I just don't think I can. I'm definitely spoiled, and I'm not alone.

You could take a tax write off on the other screen too and still have a lot more money sitting around.

Not unless your other business expenses have already maxed out what you can write off. If you owe Uncle Sam $1,000 in business taxes and instead of buying the $1,000 monitor you buy a $400 Korean monitor you're still going to have to pay the $600 you weren't able to write-off in taxes so you didn't save anything.

Not unless your other business expenses have already maxed out what you can write off. If you owe Uncle Sam $1,000 in business taxes and instead of buying the $1,000 monitor you buy a $400 Korean monitor you're still going to have to pay the $600 you weren't able to write-off in taxes so you didn't save anything.
Tax write offs are tax deductions not tax credits. There's an enormous difference.

Tax write offs are tax deductions not tax credits. There's an enormous difference.

Yeah I guess you're right about that part, this will be my first year filing self-employment tax and so I hadn't researched much the difference between tax deductions and tax credits yet lol. So I guess if you were in a 25% tax bracket it would only save you $175 in taxes to go with a $1000 monitor over a $300.

Last edited:
I have one of these (Dell 3011) and I love it. I use it for Photoshop and gaming and sometimes for work (multiple Matlab windows and plenty of room to work with). Well worth the price, IMO, unless you just want to game.

I have had mine for about a year as well. I got it direct from Dell for $1050. There was a 15% off coupon code for tv's that also applied for this monitor. I only use if for gaming.

For anyone that has had both, is it worth the upgrade for me to trade up from my 3007?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that)

I've had 2x Dell 3007 for almost 4 yrs, I upgraded from 2407FP. Best monitors I've ever owned

To each his/her own.

If you're happy with your sub $400 Korean monitor, more power to you.

I love my Dells & nobody can change my mind

If you work from home for a company you can write off about everything. I write off my monitors(2007x2 and 3007-hc), chair, power, sqaure footage of the room, office desk, cell phone you name it lol. You can only write it off for 5 years then just have to buy new stuff so you can start writing that off on your taxes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or something like that)

I've had 2x Dell 3007 for almost 4 yrs, I upgraded from 2407FP. Best monitors I've ever owned

To each his/her own.

If you're happy with your sub $400 Korean monitor, more power to you.

I love my Dells & nobody can change my mind

Just a question, but have you actually seen one of the Samsung A- panels? They're actually really, really, nice.

Just a question, but have you actually seen one of the Samsung A- panels? They're actually really, really, nice.

Can you give some model names? Are they out yet and how much do they cost in the 24, 27, and 30" size categories?

Back