Dell Ultrasharp vs. Non?

zypher_84

n00b
Whats the difference between Dell Ultrasharp and Dell Non-Ultrasharp? There's a 20 inch ultrasharp monitor I was looking at, but the 22 inch Non-ultra is cheaper. I looked at the specs, and it seems like the non-ultra has been response rate, etc, and same resolution. From what I can tell on Dell's site, ultrasharp monitors have adjustable height, and usb ports. Are there any other differences? What should I get and why is the large monitor cheaper?

Thanks for all your help!

The Ultrasharp series has better color reproduction due to the use of a more expensive panel. It also increases the viewing angle.

I just purchased the 20in Ultrasharp and if all goes well I will have it tonight after I pick it up.

The regular monitors are 6-bit panels and have to use dithering to come up with 16 million plus colors. Dithering means using adjacent pixels to approximate a color the monitor can't do normally (ie if the monitor couldn't do green, it would use a combination of yellow and blue next to each other to get green). Now I bet the monitor can do green naturally but I was using that as an example for dithering.

Ultrasharps have 8-bit panels and can do 16.7 million colors without using dithering. Colors are supposed to be much better and viewing angles are better.

I have read that the difference is small when comparing 2 monitors with 10 ms response time or lower.

The Dell Ultrasharp is 16 ms but it's a black to black rating. Some monitors are stating their Gray to Gray response time to make themselves look better. The Dell Ultrasharp has a 8ms response timer in Gray to Gray.

I think the decision comes to whether bigger and little faster is better than picture and viewing angle.

Most comments on the Ultrasharp say it's fast enough and my desk can't hold 22 inches due to its design so I chose to go with the Ultrasharp.

The ultrasharp uses a much higher quality panel, it is height, pivot, and tilt adjustable, it has 2 usb, one dvi, one vga, one composite, and one svideo input. It has a higher quality looking casing and is sharper due to the fact that the 22" increases by 2" but uses the same resolution. I personally am either getting the 20 or 24 inch ultrasharp.

22"
320-5123.jpg

Ultrasharp
320-4688.jpg

I just got my 20in Ultrasharp. I don't see any dead pixels so I'm happy. My biggest gripe so far is the location of the USB ports. They're not easily accessible being behind the monitor. Somewhere closer to the front or side would have been nicer.

Back