Dell vs Gateway vs HP vs Viewsonic

Commander0Zero

Limp Gawd
I have narrowed down my search to 4 monitors ( if you call 4 narrowing it down :rolleyes: )
The Viewsonic VA2012wb (great price on this at costco by the way)
The Gateway FPD2185W
The HP F2105
The Dell 2005FPW

Just looking for you guys opinions. My main concern will be PC gaming(FPS mostly), xbox360 connectivity/performance and HDTV output in that order. The rig I'm running has a AMD 3400, 2 gigs of RAM and a evga 6800GT stock. Will the native resolutions of these monitors kill my card. Frames Per second and response time would be very important to me as a Battlefield player. I have read these forums and others and I am mostly aware of highs and lows of these lcd's. Just want to get some fresh opinons. Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have the gateway and a friend has dell. Lets just say there is no competition. Hands down gateway is the best IMHO. Although its a bit pricier. but the backlight bleed on the dell is terrible and the specs on the gateway can't be beat espeacially for gamming.

I have 2 Dell 2005FPWs. No dead pixels or backlight bleeding. I might have gotten lucky though. Anyways, if you can get a good one, I think that they rock. However, I don't know if they would be the best for connecting an XBox 360.

Commander0Zero said:
. My main concern will be PC gaming(FPS mostly), xbox360 connectivity/performance and HDTV output in that order. The rig I'm running has a AMD 3400, 2 gigs of RAM and a evga 6800GT stock.

The gateway is as fast or faster response as those others....all will work on the Xbox.....and the Dell does NOT do 1080p HD nor is it HDC compliant...not sure about the HP....

I have been through a couple displays, checked out some friends models, and the Gateway is my choice...I am really liking mine....

Many have returned the Gateway because of a very annoying buzzing noise coming from the panel, read the Gateway thread.

Manon66 said:
Many have returned the Gateway because of a very annoying buzzing noise coming from the panel, read the Gateway thread.
heh..if you wear headphones and listen to music while working, that shouldn't be a problem :p

i dont hear anything from my gateway...that may be because i keep my tower right next to it on my desk :p

I love my Dell, but you can't go wrong with Dell or Gateway. Those are the only two I would really consider at this point.

For the most part the Dell does everything fantastically, so you just have to decide if the Gateway is really worth the extra money for the screen real estate and inputs.

Just got my Gateway yesterday,,,

Love it :)

DSC00776.jpg

Thanks guys... It looks like I'm leaning towards the gateway still I need to research the viewsonic a little too.

I have almost the exact same specs for my pc as urs except for the 1gb ram and I have gateway. I play cod2 at max resolution and 4x AA without any problems. Only in very intensive battles does my fp slows down, for example, the beaches of normandy D day.

Gateway:
• Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
• Composite video
• S-Video
• Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)

The others don't seem to support High Def like the gateway.

Yeah the dell looks like the way I'm heading.... Still gonna check out that viewsonic a little more before I purchase...

just bear in mind, windows vista and high def movies if your going to want to watch them

I got my gateway yesterday, I LOVE this thing. No buzz, no dead pixels, no backlight bleeding, about 50 times better than my old CRT. I would highly recomend this monitor.

WLDock said:
Gateway:
• Digital (DVI-D): 24-pin DVD-D (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i). Includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)
• Composite video
• S-Video
• Component Y Pb Pr (supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i)

The others don't seem to support High Def like the gateway.

I am just curious, how does it support 1080i with 1050 vertical pixels? Scaling?

Yeah I've also got to add to the Gateway tally. I have one and love it. I don't have any buzzing either and the only blacklight bleed does not bother me at all.

Got my FPD2185W about a week ago. Coming from a Viewsonic Nokia 445ZA 21inch CRT, I could not be happier. Vibrant colors and great blacks. No problems with gaming (for me at least). Started out with VGA, DVI makes a huge improvement. Text is crisp and easy to read. I had problems reading text on my 445ZA and bad eye strain. No problems yet with the gateway. Very minimal backlight only noticeable when looking at a complete black screen, such as when booting in a dark room.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Back