Dell warranty and ebay - quick question

Elipsn

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, its my understanding that dell issues "service tags" on displays larger than 24 inches, right? And a service tag is all you need to have the warranty, right?

I know on displays without service tags you must have the original order number, but does that apply to displays 24inches+?

Thx

well I think you still need the order number. I was looking into the ones on ebay and a few people said the sellers will give you the order # that it was bought on (also the warranty starts according to the date on their order #, not when you buy it from them!), then you need the service tag from the back of the monitor. When I exchanged mine they did ask for both! and the SN on the back (not sure why you need that if I already gave them the other 2 numbers), but since I bought from Dell direct my info was linked with the order #... I don't know what would happen if bought from ebay, I believe the warranty is valid but they might ship the replacement to the place that it was ordered from. Keep in mind that some of the sellers ship them to you directly and others have Dell ship them to you (I don't know how they are set up though). I went straight through Dell because I had the small business 20% off coupon plus a stackable 10% off one (expired now). Warranty was only $50 to extend it to 5 years as well.

customer support is a joke though, my advice is to baffle them with your knowledge of computers and tell them everything you did to fix it, they will normally just issue a replacement and not even try to walk you through "fixes", the guy I talked to with mine just typed everything I said and told me "sounds like you have a bad monitor, we will ship a new one out, not a refurb, next business day" I am not sure if I got a new one because I just bought mine or because they don't have any refurbs yet...

Dell support suck. (Arnt they all?)

As long as your monitor match up service tag and you are happy with the dates, then you dont need the order #.

Now if it doesnt, then I had to go to 10 loops and calls for 3 days before they know my pain and finally someone in India was able to fix it for me. So have your order # handy.

my dell 2209wa was from an ebay seller, this was a proper retailer tho, was a brand new monitor which I got a proper invoice for.

The retailer had a no dead pixel garantuee which was I picked them.

I bought a new u2711 on ebay, and it was defective, coming from the seller. Dell replaced it just fine.

Word of advice: when calling Dell, call when it's normal working hours in your country.
Generally you need to your information to match up with the information in dellserv on the service tag. If it says Steve owns the monitor, and your say your name is Joe... could be a problem. Some techs will understand, some will go by the rules.
The original purchaser can actually call and have this information changed to the new owner as well.
And yeah, i'm actually sitting here in the dell building. I'm not a dell support tech though.

And yeah, i'm actually sitting here in the dell building. I'm not a dell support tech though.

see any 3008wfp's laying around? :D I'm thinking about trading in the 3x VW266H's towards one, i'd be losing about 18" of diagonal (I have them in portrait), but the increase in quality and lack of bezels might just push me over the edge!

Word of advice: when calling Dell, call when it's normal working hours in your country.
Generally you need to your information to match up with the information in dellserv on the service tag. If it says Steve owns the monitor, and your say your name is Joe... could be a problem. Some techs will understand, some will go by the rules.
The original purchaser can actually call and have this information changed to the new owner as well.

Thanks, my wife told me to do that too, but I was so pissed it was DOA that I wanted the exchange process started that night! I guess its just the "extended hours" that are transfered out to India to save costs ;)

When you get your monitor from ebay and the seller says it is under warranty, go to Dell website to check right away and if it is not correct, let the seller knows and its his job to correct it.

Thanks, my wife told me to do that too, but I was so pissed it was DOA that I wanted the exchange process started that night! I guess its just the "extended hours" that are transfered out to India to save costs ;)

If you use dell small business you can get the *only* North America option for support

Back