Dell2707WFP & absurd pricing policy?

After reading thru' this forum for the past few days (excelent forum btw),
I finally made up my mind and decided on the Dell 2707WFP as my next purchase.
(seemed the right upgrade from my old 19" Hyundai L90D+).
But upon checking the prices over @ Dell Europe I was a bit surprised (thats an understatement ;) ).

Dell USA: 757 € (that's $ 1.019 )
Dell Belgium: 1508 € (that's $ 2.040 )

(calculated @ current exchange rate of 1,33)
I checked Dell Germany, Holland, and France and the're all more or less priced at 2.000$.
That's TWICE the price you guys pay in the States!!!

Now, even if you account for the 21% taxes we pay here in Belgium, that would still only come to about $1.230 or 916€.

What's up with these crazy prices here in Europe???

yeah we pay a fair bit in australia too
1,799.00 AUD = 1,100.59 EUR

though it seems cheaper than belgium

Can someone confirm whether the models for USA are identical to those for Europe?
If so I'd try to find someone to import one to Brussels. No way i'm paying $2000,00 ! ( i can get the Samsung275T for $875,00 here in Europe).
Not sure if the 2707 has a universal/auto-switching power-supply like most modern electronic equipment these days.

States: 110V / 60Hz
Europe: 230V / 50Hz

Maybe video inputs differ also altho' that should only be the case for TV-tuners.
(Europe : PAL/25fps, States: NTSC/30fps)

no idea but what we pay for in america is absurd to begin with...the panel is essentially a carbon copy of the 2407 but with 50cd/m2 less brightness, a .303 pixel pitch, and of course 3 more inches

same S-PVA panel, same color gamut, same native resolution, same inputs even!

i do not see how dell is justified in selling the 2707 for double the current american price for the 2407.

no idea but what we pay for in america is absurd to begin with...the panel is essentially a carbon copy of the 2407 but with 50cd/m2 less brightness, a .303 pixel pitch, and of course 3 more inches

i do not see how dell is justified in selling the 2707 for double the current american price for the 2407.

Supply and demand, as long as people buy them for that price they will gladly sell them at that price.
Put yourself in Dell's shoe's wouldn't you want to maximize profit?
Every company does....

It doesn't have the same color gamut -- it has a wider color gamut, like the difference between the 3007 and 3007-HC.

But yeah, I agree, the price difference is largely unjustified.

Can someone confirm whether the models for USA are identical to those for Europe?
If so I'd try to find someone to import one to Brussels. No way i'm paying $2000,00 ! ( i can get the Samsung275T for $875,00 here in Europe).
Not sure if the 2707 has a universal/auto-switching power-supply like most modern electronic equipment these days.

States: 110V / 60Hz
Europe: 230V / 50Hz

Maybe video inputs differ also altho' that should only be the case for TV-tuners.
(Europe : PAL/25fps, States: NTSC/30fps)
I don't know about the 2707 but some of the other models (2007WFP for example) seem to be made in different factories for different markets. The 2007 we get in North America either comes from China or Mexico...it seems Europe/Australia gets theirs from the Czech Republic. I don't know if there is any quality difference however..

Uhh..no. The 2707WFP may have a S-PVA panel but it is not the same as the one found in the 2407. As already mentioned..the 2707 has the 92% color gamut as well as the obvious 3" increase in screen size..as well as a different stand/bezel design.

when i said the same S-PVA panel i only meant that it has an S-PVA, whose price does not warrant that of S-IPS imo. many people on here have said that the 2707's color gamut was the same as the 2407. i didn't have time this morning to comb the forums to be absolutely sure

Dude, look on eBay.nl for the "2707WFP". Some guy named Supradictus sells those 2707's for €1099. 5-year warrantee and a pixel guarantee. How I know? I received mine about 2/3 weeks ago from him.

Dell USA: 757 € (that's $ 1.019 )
Dell Belgium: 1508 € (that's $ 2.040 )

But is that Dell Begium price discounted to begin with? You quoted the discounted Dell price but probably the undiscounted price in Belgium. Obviously it won't be the same price, but the difference won't be as massive as you make it out to be.

many people on here have said that the 2707's color gamut was the same as the 2407

I love the amount of misinformation that flows through here and how everyone takes everything as fact...

Back