Denon reciever vs X-FI Xtrememusic

Pepiz

n00b
now should i output from my motherboard (K9N Plat) to the reciever or should i use the xfi and connect it to the reciever through red and white RCA with a 3,5mm to 2 RCA cable? i dont remember what model the reciever is, its like.. 4 years old..

this is for a stereo setup only 2 speakers and a sub

in either case if i get some headphones where should i connect them? reciever or x-fi? (without amp)

I don't have an X-Fi card, but I do have an Audigy 2ZS and the sound output is much much better than the onboard on my Asus board.
Use the X-Fi and the 3.5mm to RCA cables for hookup.

For the headphones, you can hook it to either and the sound should be great.

but outputting digital from mobo would make the reciever decode it right? the question would be which decodes best

Pepiz said:
now should i output from my motherboard (K9N Plat) to the reciever or should i use the xfi and connect it to the reciever through red and white RCA with a 3,5mm to 2 RCA cable? i dont remember what model the reciever is, its like.. 4 years old..

this is for a stereo setup only 2 speakers and a sub

in either case if i get some headphones where should i connect them? reciever or x-fi? (without amp)

Use the receiver. COAX digital is the best. You can order the $14.95 part form Creative for Optical otherwise. Stereo 96KHz is very nice. I have full 5.1 but still listen to music using Stereo 96kHz. Denon can do two speaker surround sent from the sound card, I've not tried CMSS-3D through my bud's Denon though.

Digital I/O Module

Donnie27 said:
Use the receiver. COAX digital is the best.

I am skeptical to say the least.... Can you show me how you came to this conclusion?

Mister X said:
I am skeptical to say the least.... Can you show me how you came to this conclusion?

Coax is the best for shortrun digital. He didn't have to come to the conclusion himself, it is pretty much the "standard" in the industry. Optical adds another conversion at each end, which you don't need on short runs.

Optical is advertised as the cool, high tech method, when in most cases it only adds a layer of complexity which can only be detrimental.

I'm fairly confident that even a 4-year old Denon will be better at DTS, DD, and DPL conversion than an x-fi. I've got a denon 4800/4805(can't remember which) and it is much better than the x-fi platinum in my PC. I don't really use my PC as a source for anything other than gaming, though, which I usually use headphones for.

I don't like attaching thousands of dollars of A/V equipment to a creative labs product, when you get right down to it.

Mister X said:

Info came from one the AVS forum members who I trust. He's the one who sold me on 96KHz Stereo in the first place.

eastvillager said:
Coax is the best for shortrun digital. He didn't have to come to the conclusion himself, it is pretty much the "standard" in the industry. Optical adds another conversion at each end, which you don't need on short runs.

Optical is advertised as the cool, high tech method, when in most cases it only adds a layer of complexity which can only be detrimental.

I'm fairly confident that even a 4-year old Denon will be better at DTS, DD, and DPL conversion than an x-fi. I've got a denon 4800/4805(can't remember which) and it is much better than the x-fi platinum in my PC. I don't really use my PC as a source for anything other than gaming, though, which I usually use headphones for.

I don't like attaching thousands of dollars of A/V equipment to a creative labs product, when you get right down to it.

Same here but I don't have a Denon, just a cheap Pioneer 5.1 receiver because I got tired of Computer Multimedia speakers quiting on me after about a month or two after the warranty ran out, like clockwork.

so.. sell the x-fi, connect through optical (from the motherboard) to the reciever then plug everything there? remember this is only for a stereo setup still better?

tnx for all replies ^^

Pepiz said:
so.. sell the x-fi, connect through optical (from the motherboard) to the reciever then plug everything there? remember this is only for a stereo setup still better?

tnx for all replies ^^

No, keep the X-Fi. My Motherboard sound had more background noise and sucked for everything else. Even when bypassed it sucked.

eastvillager said:

Thank you but I am well aware of the "audiophile rationalizations" that apply to this topic Would you care to explain how 5 minutes with rightmark audio analyzer directly refuted the claims that coax is superior for short runs on my system? ;)

Donnie27 said:
Info came from one the AVS forum members who I trust. He's the one who sold me on 96KHz Stereo in the first place.

Why did I already know that you had nothing to support this conclusion?

To quote Geddy Lee:
Show me don't tell me, I've heard it all before. :p

Mister X said:
Thank you but I am well aware of the "audiophile rationalizations" that apply to this topic Would you care to explain how 5 minutes with rightmark audio analyzer directly refuted the claims that coax is superior for short runs on my system? ;)
Ah but not everything that we hear can ever be measured ;)

Ahriman4891 said:

Are you suggesting that I am just supposed to believe Donnie27's ASSertion that coax digital is the best?

Donnie27 said:
No, keep the X-Fi. My Motherboard sound had more background noise and sucked for everything else. Even when bypassed it sucked.

even through digital out? i thought it was same output well so i should then use the digital out on the x-fi to connect it to the reciever and in case of headphones connect its there? recievers have amped headphones port right?

Donnie27 said:

How was the onboard solution connected to the rest of the system?

Mister X said:

Why did I already know that you had nothing to support this conclusion?

To quote Geddy Lee:
Show me don't tell me, I've heard it all before. :p

Dewd, take what I said or leave it? Honestly, I don't need to show you anything though LOL! Show me where in the hell he said he a short run for example;)?

I'm a bit lost on some of the comments posted but I would venture to say that a digital (Coax or optical) connection would definitely be better than an analog connection. I would also venture to guess that Denon (well known for high end home audio equipment for 20+ years) probably has a higher quality DA converter than a PCI sound card or onboard sound chip does.

Mister X said:
Are you suggesting that I am just supposed to believe Donnie27's ASSertion that coax digital is the best?
No, it was an attempt to be ironic not transferring over Internet. Despite the ;)

That is, I believe the Rightmark measurements :)

Donnie27 said:
Dewd, take what I said or leave it? Honestly, I don't need to show you anything though LOL!

You are trying to convince someone to spend money on what you think is the best solution.
Don't you think you should at least make it clear to him why you think that? ;)

Donnie27 said:
Show me where in the hell he said he a short run for example;)?

Here you go------->

Optical adds another conversion at each end, which you don't need on short runs.

It really doesn't matter. You are specifically looking for stereo sound from your computer (not sure what audio you are going to play) and transition it to your Denon receiver (model unknown). You just want 96 Khz sound via 2 channels, so I don't believe the X-Fi via digital will be any different that the Onboard audio via digital other than the X-Fi's specific processing.

If you are connecting Digitally, you may not see much difference. If you are connecting via the front 2 channel 1/8th ohm jack to RCA then the X-Fi would be a marked improvement over onboard.

The question I have is what type of audio are you playing? Is it FLAC EAC? or is it MP3 where it doesn't really matter.

Ahriman4891 said:
Trust me - yes it can. Our measurements have range limits and error is always a factor, but we can measure what occurs in electronic components and in the air quite well. We can't "measure" our perception and place a number on psychoacoustical properities, but we can evaluate them fairly well, and we (collectively) understand it all quite well. The latter really has nothing to do with digital transmission, though.

The signals from optical and coaxial should be identical. The most obvious error here would be bit drop-out; bit-flips are a nearly impossible occurence. The light pulses delivered via fiber optic cable can be measured quite precisely at the shortest or longest distance one can achieve through a continuous fiber run. I prefer coaxial just because optical tends to be A) expensive and B) fragile, though durability goes up when you spend the bucks. It's also been rumoured for a while that numerous bends and twists may cause drop-outs, but this hasn't been properly evaluated (to my knowledge).

Donnie27 said:
Honestly, I don't need to show you anything though LOL!
Would asking you to back up your claims with concrete evidence or research be too much to ask? Just because your friend says the sea is red doesn't make it true.

phide said:
Would asking you to back up your claims with concrete evidence or research be too much to ask? Just because your friend says the sea is red doesn't make it true.

When I can I do, I posted the info you asked for didn't I? ;) I used 96KHz 2 Channel to test.

No, look Closer, he has a X-Fi and didn't mention that it was a Platinum, meaning no Optical Out. I asked him to get an Adapter and gave a link to it. My comment about better is from personal experience of trying one of these adapters and COAX. I need at least 12ft of length. Then note that many folks don't have their receiver right next to their Computer. Hence my comment about "short run". My heavy duty RCA-COAX cable is 12ft. I wish I still had the adapter so I could test it, but I don't.

There is a raging debate on the Web when it comes to COAX vs. Toslink, for my X-Fi to receiver, I vote COAX. So one else may work better with Optical but that's for them.

And I think it's a pretty silly debate. Can you elaborate on your experience with the adaptor? It looks like a fairly nasty device.

I believe I see what happened here, and why X jumped on it. It sounded like you were saying that coax is always better, when in fact you meant that it's better with the X-Fi (assuming you don't use the bay device).

In any case, to offer my opinion to the OP, you could really go either way. If you use the analog outs on the X-Fi, you may end up with coloration you prefer (though the X-Fi is fairly natural). The optical from the motherboard and the coaxial from the X-Fi should be pretty much identical, though the X-Fi certainly comes with its own perks.

phide said:
And I think it's a pretty silly debate. Can you elaborate on your experience with the adaptor? It looks like a fairly nasty device.

I believe I see what happened here, and why X jumped on it. It sounded like you were saying that coax is always better, when in fact you meant that it's better with the X-Fi (assuming you don't use the bay device).

In any case, to offer my opinion to the OP, you could really go either way. If you use the analog outs on the X-Fi, you may end up with coloration you prefer (though the X-Fi is fairly natural). The optical from the motherboard and the coaxial from the X-Fi should be pretty much identical, though the X-Fi certainly comes with its own perks.

I said better, I didn't say always! I tried to help and offered something, that's more than you or Mr X have done;) I wasn't Nasty to anyone as well.

But the X-Fi I have and didn't see him mention an I/O bay, hence the COAX comment.

He didn't ask about Analog outs. One more I time, I vote Coax, if you like Optical, go with that. Trying to come down on me is silly and there is no debate about that LOL! Now please post something constructive for the OP?:)

ok tnx of the help, ill use the onboard optical digital out to the reciever and sell the x-fi i could use some money ^^

Donnie27 said:
I wasn't Nasty to anyone as well.
I never said you were. I said the device looked nasty.

Donnie27 said:
He didn't ask about Analog outs.
No, he did indeed:
should i use the xfi and connect it to the reciever through red and white RCA with a 3,5mm to 2 RCA cable?
This is of course an option, but probably not the best one. I would of course use the analog outs as well as the digital out, as this won't lead to signal degradation or complication. The two can be flipped between easily enough with the X-Fi.

Donnie27 said:
Trying to come down on me is silly and there is no debate about that LOL!
I just wanted you to back up your statement, as you did indeed word it as if it were unequivocally true:
COAX digital is the best.
If we want to avoid these interpretation entanglements, be more specific when constructing your posts. As I've said before, I can't read minds, so take time to formulate your posts so that these issues no longer occur.

Donnie27 said:
Now please post something constructive for the OP?:)
I offered him my opinion, which is precisely what he was seeking.

phide said:
I never said you were. I said the device looked nasty.

No, he did indeed:

This is of course an option, but probably not the best one. I would of course use the analog outs as well as the digital out, as this won't lead to signal degradation or complication. The two can be flipped between easily enough with the X-Fi.

I just wanted you to back up your statement, as you did indeed word it as if it were unequivocally true:

If we want to avoid these interpretation entanglements, be more specific when constructing your posts. As I've said before, I can't read minds, so take time to formulate your posts so that these issues no longer occur.

I offered him my opinion, which is precisely what he was seeking.

OK, whatever LOL!

Back