Depressing FSB

Feileung

Limp Gawd
I'm baffled.

I have my RAM set to 533, 5,5,5,15
(OCZ DDR2 800 2x1GB)

My VCore is 1.4

CPU Multiplier is 9x.

Somewhere between 315 and 320 FSB my OC fails. I can boot but Orthos craps out within 5-30 minutes.

I thought that maybe my strap issue was showing up a little bit lower than most people experienced so I jumped up to 401. It's completely unable to post. My motherboard beeps, shuts down and resets the FSB to 266. I tried 430, knowing the strap varies, with the same results.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I feel like I have the weakest TForce 965PT or E6600 out there.

what vcore u using ?? ~ didu locked up the PCI/PCIE frequency?? ~ try to set the FSB ratio to 1:1 5-5-5-15-2T ~ and what about ur TEMP ??

Thanks for the responses guys.

My VCore is 1.4, I've been inching up w/no apparent affect on stability.

Temps are fine: about 30 idle and 45 or so at rest.

I had my PCI-E locked at 100 for a while, now it's at 101. I read that that could help.

Thanks again for that chart jbmx, if I can't understand ram dividerrs at least I can look them up;) Also, which of those straps do I want to shoot for? 1066?

Anyone have any other ides? I'm still stumped.

I RMA'ed my RAM today and ordered some Firestix. Hopefully that'll help.

What kind of voltage are you feeding the RAM? How's the cooling on the memory and northbridge? Could also be you need more voltage, I am not sure how much droop those boards have, 1.4 bios could be only 1.35 actual.

The RAM is rated at 1.8 and I've tried various settings. Right now it's at 2.0.

The memory sits right under my 120mm fan that's attached to my Ninja. Also, right now the side door is off. I don't know for sure but I'd doubt a problem w/RAM temperature.

NB, now that's another story. The stock heatsink is a little bit whispy and has no fan. I've been meaning to upgrade it (at least w/arctic silver) but haven't done so yet. Do you think this is a likely culprit when the system boots but crashes after a few minutes of testing? I haven't overvolted the NB at all.

It's not the latest BIOS but, it's the one the folks at rebel's haven have been reporting the best luck with. 914rh2

I thought that maybe my strap issue was showing up a little bit lower than most people experienced so I jumped up to 401.

thatl do it. 400fsb is the end of the 1066 northbridge strap, at 401 it forces a 1333 strap (on 975 chipsets atleast, not 100% sure about the 965s) this causes latency issues with your fsb, which is why a large portion of overclockers with the 6600 hit a wall at 400 (if not sooner :p ) i run mine at 399-400, there are workarounds but im far too lazy to do math and 3.6 is fine by my book. this is why youl find 400fsb is faster then 401+

Ghost, I wonder if those numbers apply more to the 975 than the 965? I ask this because everything I have read has talked about 965 owners running into problems at around 330-350 FSB. Typically these people were able to resolve their problems by jumping up to 400 or 401.

Polygon, from the rebel's haven forums, mentioned that this value can fluctuate but that there tends to be a dead spot in the 965FSB somewhere between 330 and 400. Nevertheless, I'll try your suggestion when I get home and report my findings here.

Thanks again for another well thought out answer.

So, after barely being able to boot past 300MHz FSB, and trying everything I could think of, I RMAed my RAM (2x1GB G.Skill DDR2800) and bought some Buffalo Firestix.

Problem solved. With no other changes to the BIOS or hardware I bumped the FSB up to 355 and I've been running Orthos for 6hr 40min w/o fail.

I'm looking forward to pushing this chip more later this week.

Back