Devices for always-on VPN link?

Hurin

2[H]4U
Hi All,

I seem to be using our VPN service a lot lately. But when I'm home, it's putting me on a subnet that, while being on our office premises, isn't quite as local to our specific subnet as I'd like.

What I'd like to do is set up a device on our exact class C subnet at work. And then have a (identical?) device here at home behind my home router that will have an always-on VPN link to that device at the office.

The idea being, when I want to be "on my work network", I just plug into that device here at home, and it will think it's at work. Make sense?

I get about 60Mbps downstream and 8Mbps upstream here at home. Any recommendations for VPN devices (can't use PCs for it, power and space considerations). . . and/or can anyone recommend a guide for this particular situation.

I'll of course clear what I'm doing with the enterprise network admins (I'm the local admin for our small subnet). Otherwise that VPN tunnel might raise an alarm. =P

Best,

H

Look into something that runs OpenWRT if you plan to use a stock openvpn, ipsec, pptp (bad idea), softether etc. Archer C5 (non V2) or Archer C7v2 might be good options in that case.
//Danne

OpenVPN is going to need some hardware behind it to push anything more than a few mbps.

A pretty simple solution is to setup a pair of EdgeRouter Lites doing IPsec. You home connection will not even stress them doing IPsec.

Archer series can probably push around 20-25mbit/s without compression.
//Danne

AES-192-CBC based on the performance of my WDR3600 routers which uses a slower SoC.
The new Mediatek SoCs looks very interesting as they offer superior performance than the Atheros/QCA MIPS SoCs but wifi is still a bit behind.
//Danne

Back