Devil May Cry 4 PC DEMO

Just played this on max settings at 1920 x 1200 with max AA. Looks awesome and plays awesome with the Logitech Rumblepad.

Runs great, looks great, sucks for KB+M and is not my kind of game.
Has install issues with XP64, requires to copy Temp dir content (Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Temp\Latest Temp Dir) to desktop for install.
On ward and upward to Fallout 3 and Mass Effect.

downloading now.. the screen shots look great. I'll get back with yall when I play around with it a bit...

The game itself is hard! And the camera angles are still annoying and confusing. Not sure if I like it. I gave up on Devil May Cry 3 after the 1st level.

As a huge fan of the series, especially DMC 3, you should give 4 another shot. The first half of the game is considerably easier than DMC 3 and even DMC. The last half of the game ramps up in difficulty to approach that of DMC, but by then you should have the skills to handle it.

Anyone getting this error upon game launch?
65708895pa0.jpg

I've re-downloaded, and re-installed the game twice, have the newest video card drivers too. (175.16)

Anyone getting this error upon game launch?
65708895pa0.jpg

I've re-downloaded, and re-installed the game twice, have the newest video card drivers too. (175.16)
I did not get this error but you might want to run to Microsoft.com and download the latest DirectX runtime which contains all of the versions released and install it. That should help.

solved my issue, after googling for a while turns out the game didn't like my desktop res of 1680x1050 and needed to be turned down to the game's default res of 1280 x 1024 for the initial launch. Odd, but I fixed it.

Ran everything Super High, 4xMSAA in game, 1680x1050. Bench gave me a B. I dipped down to 30s in some parts of the second map. Besides that it was mostly 60+ fps.

Benchmark results 1680x1050, 4xmsaa, 8xaf:
scene 1: 100 fps
scene 2: 72 fps
scene 3: 124 fps
scene 4: 67 fps.

Anybody know what the framerate on the 360 version is?
The optimization is impressive. Game runs amazing on my rig. I'm definitely considering this one for purchase. Makes me happy to be a pc gamer.

Benchmark results 1680x1050, 4xmsaa, 8xaf:
scene 1: 100 fps
scene 2: 72 fps
scene 3: 124 fps
scene 4: 67 fps.

Anybody know what the framerate on the 360 version is?
The optimization is impressive. Game runs amazing on my rig. I'm definitely considering this one for purchase. Makes me happy to be a pc gamer.

It's locked at 60 fps on the 360 and PS3. Unlike Lost Planet, this game is cake to run(it doesn't look that great)

Very enjoyable experience and ran very smooth with my sig rig. It dipped into the 30's and gave me a B rating in the performance benchmark, but I still enjoyed the demo very much! So far, I'm very impressed with the quality of this port and I hope this is the way that games will be made/ported from now on. I will be looking forward to this when it gets launched. :D

Yup, plays great and looks great, can't ask for more. This gives me a good feeling about Resident Evil 5 on PC, since it uses the same engine as DMC4 (and Lost Planet too).

Yes, very impressive looking demo, runs very nice even with high resolution DX10. :eek:

dmc4benchmarkxe3.jpg

How's the story and characters in this game? I thought Devil May Cry 3 was really cheesy and did not like it much at all. I hope the 4th one improved on that.

How's the story and characters in this game? I thought Devil May Cry 3 was really cheesy and did not like it much at all. I hope the 4th one improved on that.

Well, the demo doesn't have any actual story but Dante's dialog is very cheesy. :p

best capcom port to date. Looks better than my ps3 version too :D

Is there really any compelling reason for a double dip here if I played the PS3 version and was well satisifed with it?

I'll try and play the demo later this weekend myself...

DMC games....not really good on story substance :D More just for action and style.

As a huge fan of the series, especially DMC 3, you should give 4 another shot. The first half of the game is considerably easier than DMC 3 and even DMC. The last half of the game ramps up in difficulty to approach that of DMC, but by then you should have the skills to handle it.
I think the first half of DMC4 is easier because Nero is easier to use. I'm just not good at keeping Dante fighting smoothly.

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/06/04/no-resident-evil-5-for-pc-says-capcom/

Might not happen. Resident Evil hasn't sold on the PC, so it may not come. Capcom typically announces the PC version along with the rest(Bionic Commando, Street Fighter iV, etc.)

Pretty sure it will, all these Capcom games (Lost Planet, DMC4, RE5, etc.) are being developed for PC first then ported to the consoles. It'll be virtually effortless for Capcom it to release it for PC.

I've not played DMC 1-3, but like the DMC 4 demo. It reminds me very much of Painkiller.

I have found a few problems with DMC4 (yeah I know its a trial but better to address them now than with a patch). There seems to be some problem with the AA transparency.

Here is the original shot:
DMC4AAissue.jpg

And circled to show emphasis:
DMC4AAissuecapture.jpg

The first and second circles show were the AA is messed up and the third one shows when the texture is in front of another object. The jaggies don't go away even with more AA. Now, it could be that the 174.74 drivers are old or that it is an issue and needs to be fixed.

Yup, plays great and looks great, can't ask for more. This gives me a good feeling about Resident Evil 5 on PC, since it uses the same engine as DMC4 (and Lost Planet too).

has that been confirmed? i hope its true tho :O

Pretty sure it will, all these Capcom games (Lost Planet, DMC4, RE5, etc.) are being developed for PC first then ported to the consoles. It'll be virtually effortless for Capcom it to release it for PC.
Yeah, I wouldn't totally rule out RE5 for PC. If they were discouraged because RE4 didn't sell on PC then maybe they should look at what they released and realize that PC gamers demand a little better quality. Anyway, I'm not very confident that many PC gamers would actually buy the game so I understand that Capcom would want to put it on the consoles first to maximize their sales and then maybe 6-12 months later put out the PC port to make what they can from that like what I bet we will eventually see Rockstar do with GTA4.

Haven't found an answer because I see a huge image quality boost with even just 2xMSAA. Unfortunately, I drop into the 30's for fps (which is not good in DMC 4) at 1600x1200 with 2xMSAA and max settings, so atm I just have AA off (AA seems to take a huge performance toll on my rig for this even if I scale the rez down a lot) and am running at otherwise max 1600x1200 settings.

As far as RE5 goes, ShackNews had an article a little bit back about that RE5 for PC is all but confirmed. Apparently, Capcom are actually developing their games for the PC first now and then porting them to the 360 and PS3, making good PC ports like DMC 4 easy and convenient for them. As far as RE5 goes, as long as I can get my Wiimote/Perfect Shot working with it, I'll be set, xD (the Wii version of RE4 was by far the best from my experience purely because the controls really added to the immersion of the experience; since there won't be an RE5 Wii, RE5 PC should be the next-best thing).

Speaking of Wii controls, I've been working on a GlovePIE script for the DMC 4 PC demo. I'm still working on fine-tuning the forces and such, but pretty much all of the actual scripting is done so you can tweak those yourself if you want pretty easily w/out any scripting knowledge (I have them hard-coded atm but I'll probably switch them over to constants later). I'm also looking to fix it up a bit so that it doesn't matter what direction the Wiimote is facing when you make a gesture, just what direction the Wiimote moves in (currently you need to hold it with the 'A' button facing the ceiling).

Here are the controls:
Melee Attack: Wiimote Horizontal Swipe (assumes the Wiimote's 'A' button is facing the ceiling)
Gun Attack: Wiimote 'B' button
Jump: Nunchuk Upthrust (just move your Nunchuk hand towards the ceiling quickly)
Devil Bringer: Vertical Wiimote Swipe (assumes the Wiimote's 'A' button is facing the ceiling; also, just a tip that the most reliable way to ensure this works atm is to point the front of the Wiimote at the ceiling and thrust upwards)
Devil Trigger: Wiimote Forward Thrust
Lock-On: Nunchuk 'Z' button
Exceed: Wiimote 'A' button (THAT is a hell of a lot more convenient than the 360 and keyboard lay-out imo as far as Exceed is concerned, xD)
Taunt: Wiimote '1' button
Change Target: Tilt the Nunchuk left or right
Reset Camera: Press Down on the Wiimote's D-Pad
Move: Nunchuk Analog Stick
Camera Control: Hold the Nunchuk's 'C' button and tilt the Nunchuk (also, to manipulate menus, tilt the Nunchuk and tap 'C' to move the cursor up/down or left/right)
Accept: Wiimote 'Home' button
Back/Menu: Wiimote 'Minus' button

The script:
Code:
//Created by TerranUp16 (June 5th, 2008)
//DMC 4 PC Demo Wiimote + Nunchuck Controls
//Nero
//!IMPORTANT!
//Make sure you are using the default keyboard controls

//Set LED to Player 1
Wiimote.LED1 = True

//Controls
//Melee Attack- Horizontal Wiimote Slash
//Gun Attack- Wiimote.B
//Jump- Nunchuk Upthrust
//Devil Bringer- Vertical Wiimote Slash
//Devil Trigger- Wiimote Thrust
//Lock-on- Nunchuk.Z
//Exceed- Wiimote.A
//Taunt- Wimote.1
//Change Target- Nunchuk Horizontal Tilt
//Reset Camera- Wiimote.Down
//Move- Nunchuck Analog
//Camera Control- Hold Nunchuk.C and Tilt
//Accept- Wiimote.Home
//Menu/Back- Wiimote.Minus

//Gun
Keyboard.J = Wiimote.B
//Lock-On
Keyboard.Space = Wiimote.Nunchuk.ZButton
//Exceed
Keyboard.Q = Wiimote.A
//Taunt
Keyboard.M = Wiimote.One
//Reset Camera
Keyboard.P = Wiimote.Down
//Enter
Keyboard.Enter = Wiimote.Home
//Menu/Back
Keyboard.Escape = Wiimote.Minus

//Rumble for gunshot and Exceed charge
if (Wiimote.B OR Wiimote.A OR Keyboard.N) then
   Wiimote.Rumble = true
endif

if (Wiimote.B == false AND Wiimote.A == false AND Keyboard.N == false) then
   Wiimote.Rumble = false
endif

//Melee Attack
if (Wiimote.gx > 1 OR Wiimote.gx < -1) then
   Keyboard.I = true
else
    Keyboard.I = false
endif

//Jump
if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.gy < -.5) then
   Keyboard.K = true
else
    Keyboard.K = false
endif

//Devil Bringer
if (Wiimote.gz > 1.75 OR Wiimote.gz < -1.75) then
   Keyboard.L = true
else
    Keyboard.L = false
endif

//Devil Trigger
if (Wiimote.gy < -2) then
   Keyboard.N = true
else
    Keyboard.N = false
endif

//Change Target
if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Roll > 55 OR Wiimote.Nunchuk.Roll < -55) then
   Keyboard.O = true
else
    Keyboard.O = false
endif

//Move Up
if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.JoyY < -.15) then
   Keyboard.W = true
else
    Keyboard.W = false
endif

//Move Down
if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.JoyY > .15) then
   Keyboard.S = true
else
    Keyboard.S = false
endif

//Move Right
if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.JoyX > .15) then
   Keyboard.D = true
else
    Keyboard.D = false
endif

//Move Left
if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.JoyX < -.15) then
   Keyboard.A = true
else
    Keyboard.A = false
endif

//Camera Controls
if Wiimote.Nunchuk.CButton then
   if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Pitch < -20) then
      Keyboard.Up = true
   else
       Keyboard.Up = false
   endif

if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Pitch > 20) then
      Keyboard.Down = true
   else
       Keyboard.Down = false
   endif

if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Roll < -20) then
      Keyboard.Right = true
   else
       Keyboard.Right = false
   endif

if (Wiimote.Nunchuk.Roll > 20) then
      Keyboard.Left = true
   else
       Keyboard.Left = false
   endif

else
    Keyboard.Up = false
    Keyboard.Down = false
    Keyboard.Right = false
    Keyboard.Left = false
endif

Definitely provide feedback b/c I'm still fine-tuning this (think of this as an "alpha" release, per se- just getting this out there b/c I think that many of those interested in this will be able to use this as a base for their own script if they want and it does work "well enough" atm).

you guys think it looks better than the console version?

Well of course, the PC version has higher texture rez and better shading than the PS3 or 360 will ever have. Plus the image on screen comes directly from the GPU, it's not resized or anything to make it look like it has a better rez.

The PC version has a sharper image. It doesn't look like we get improved textures or anything but the better filtering on the PC seems to make a difference. You can see the details a lot better in this version. The image has a certain kind of pop to it IMO.

I have played both the demo specifically and DMC4 itself on my friend's 360 quite a bit, and I can definitely say that even with a relatively mid-range rig DMC4 PC looks much better than the 360 version. The image is far sharper (particularly with AA) and the textures do have some extra resolution (though the game's graphical design ensured that even the 360 version looked fairly clean, so you're not going to see a huge graphical difference there with just a glance, but those higher rez textures support your higher PC resolutions and also definitely make a big difference at various points). Imo, lighting and increased rez (and, to a degree, AF) are the big image quality improvements for the PC here.

Well demo runs great even in my not so amazing rig :)

And gameplay is very enjoyable (at least on my logitech pad).
I'm definitly waiting for PC release.

I'm definitly waiting for PC release.
I'm grabbing a copy on release day as well. I played through the first third of the game on the PS3 but stopped to play GTA4, Mass Effect and Grid. I'm going to try and finish it when I get it for the PC. I should have Mass Effect finished by then.

Back