DFI LanParty LT X38-T2R vs. Asus Maximus Formula

Wildfire788

Weaksauce
I am planning on getting a DDR2 X38 motherboard and am looking at the LanParty LT or Maximus Formula. Which one do you guys like better and why?

anything other than the max formula. i hated that mobo.

not very useful, please elaborate

problems i had with two max formula mobos ...

* didn't like corsair memory, and wouldn't run more than one stick of anything, and never at rated clock speeds. ram works fine in other boards.
* both mobos froze up constantly. just getting windows installed was a real chore. never could get a stable system after about 80 hrs of work.
* NB and SB ran very hot.
* no room for OC. couldn't get my QX9650 to OC even 200Mhz. in a different board, the same proc easily did 4.1Ghz on air.
* didn't like dual video cards, and could never get crossfirex working. couldn't even get to windows login screen. same cards worked fine on another P35 board.
* bios sucks - even the latest v1004. would overvolt the memory, and even on manual settings, actual voltage was 0.1V off of selected voltage.

there were many other problems i found, but thats a start. no more asus for me.

I'm ordering the DFI. I love tweaking things and the DFI is the board for that.

Im assuming the DFI hits slightly lower benchmarks when you use completely stock bios settings(auto) verse other boards that dont offer the settings.

With a few hours/days of tweaking each setting in bios, I'm assuming it can be the fastest DDR2 x38 board.

I just ordered the DFI myself

It looks like it's going to be a phenomenal board once I figure out the northbridge waterblock scenario. The DFI has an irregular mounting setup for the northbridge heatsink. If you plan to use the stock one, you should have no problem.

Currentl Dennis over at Dangerden is keeping in good contact with me about supplying me with an updated x38(custom) acrylic top for the DFI board.

Michael

Back