DFI LP LT X38-T2R

This is a damn good looking board. However it isn't all that in the layout department. You can't install or remove memory modules easily with a video card installed in the first PCI-Express x16 slot. Secondly the floppy connector is badly placed and lastly the last PCI-Express x16 slot is useless for dual slot video cards for 99% of all the cases out there.

well if you swap out memory every day put the video card in pci-e 3 and you have all kinds of room.
Dual cards go in 1 and 3 so if you are running duals you will have to make allowances.

whats a floppy? LOL
yea its a bad spot, can you boot and flash on this board from usb?

On the same line why do we have a pata connector, I don't think they should be on any board but they all have them. sata dvd drives are cheaper than any device now.
Maybe people have an older HD they want to use?

well if you swap out memory every day put the video card in pci-e 3 and you have all kinds of room.
Dual cards go in 1 and 3 so if you are running duals you will have to make allowances.

whats a floppy? LOL
yea its a bad spot, can you boot and flash on this board from usb?

On the same line why do we have a pata connector, I don't think they should be on any board but they all have them. sata dvd drives are cheaper than any device now.
Maybe people have an older HD they want to use?

Yeah a lot of people ended up with rather sizeable PATA drives that they dont want to retire. The more recent PATAs are pretty fast too. As far as floppy connectors go, I dunno. I haven't used one in about 3-4 years, but I imagine it could be useful to some people who prefer XP and need to load drivers from floppy etc.

i acually had no problem switching ram with my 3870x2 installed, it's one tight fit but i just managed it. now it's up and running on phase :)

i acually had no problem switching ram with my 3870x2 installed, it's one tight fit but i just managed it. now it's up and running on phase :)

Squeeze any extra performance out of it due to mobo swap yet?

nah not yet :( gotta go sleep. but il try maybe this weekend :) il might throw in some pics tomorrow on how beautiful this mobo sits in my rig :)

throwing up some pics for ya!

''
overview of the system.

a little closer.

the very tight fit between gfx and the ram banks.

the insane amount of space below gfx

Are you gonna WC your Mem?? :p

I wouldn't bother. I have that exact RAM and I've never seen any significant improvements by water cooling them. If anything it just adds constriction of flow in the loop and makes installing and removing modules a pain in the ass. In any case the heatsinks on those modules are quite effective using air cooling alone.

Does that DFI mobo fit with the Zalman CPU Cooler. I'm thinking about getting that mobo since it looks impressive

I wouldn't bother. I have that exact RAM and I've never seen any significant improvements by water cooling them. If anything it just adds constriction of flow in the loop and makes installing and removing modules a pain in the ass. In any case the heatsinks on those modules are quite effective using air cooling alone.

but it's damn nice ram huh? =)
so annoying i can't fit my corsair memmory cooler though :/ might be able to squeeze it in if i remove vid card.

but it's damn nice ram huh? =)
so annoying i can't fit my corsair memmory cooler though :/ might be able to squeeze it in if i remove vid card.

It is some of the best DDR2 RAM I've ever used. Highly compatible, easily overclocked, decent enough timings and far cheaper than equivalent Corsair modules using the same Micron D9 chips.

Dan, Whats your setup? i find it pretty funny that we use the same psu and the same RAM, looks like i've been reading up my hardware :p

could anyone that runs a pretty heavely overclocked system tell me how high your pwm temp is ? mine is through the roof ~ 73* without fan blowing at it at full load, 1.552V vcore, 1.250vtt 1.51vpll 1.40vNB. im starting to think that this is my instability problem

I can't get the 2 coolers installed....HELP

I have the TRUE and the little northbridge cooler.
How do I get both installed with fans ?

The true won't mount facing the back its heatpipes hit the base of the NB cooler.
So I am going to mount it facing up.
But now with a 120 on the bottom of the cooler I can't get a fan on the NB.

AHHHHHHH shoot (not exactly what I was thinking)

stupid question but exactly what fan size does the northbridge cooler use?

throwing up some pics for ya!

the insane amount of space below gfx

An effective way to cool my ram was with 120mm fans.. You and I have a similiar setup.
Here is a shot without the fans mounted so you can see the setup..

DSCN8910.jpg

Here is a shot with the (2) 120mm fans in place..

SideView01.jpg

So if its a choice between this board or the Maximus Formula, which one do you guys think is better?

Yeah a lot of people ended up with rather sizeable PATA drives that they dont want to retire. The more recent PATAs are pretty fast too. As far as floppy connectors go, I dunno. I haven't used one in about 3-4 years, but I imagine it could be useful to some people who prefer XP and need to load drivers from floppy etc.

I don't know about you but I quit buying standard EIDE drives ever since SATA drives hit the market. I think most enthusiasts did as well. Following that line of reasoning few people are likely to have any high capacity EIDE drives.

I don't know about you but I quit buying standard EIDE drives ever since SATA drives hit the market. I think most enthusiasts did as well. Following that line of reasoning few people are likely to have any high capacity EIDE drives.

There are two kinds of enthusiasts (yeah, I know, there are exceptions too): those who spend big bucks and get all the latest and greatest, and those who take lower level stuff and OC them to the max. To put it another way: both those who buy dual-QX9770's and those who OC Pentium Dual-Cores to sky-high levels are enthusiasts, just different kinds of enthusiasts. (I myself am somewhere in between the two.)

I could see the latter type wanting to keep their old PATA hard drives, just as I kept my old PATA optical drives. They ain't broke, why fix them? Also, there are often better sales on PATA drives compared to equivalent SATA drives (I got a free-after-rebate 80 GB PATA drive and $20 after rebate 200GB a couple of years ago, for instance, now in external enclosures). I also still have a floppy drive in my computer; it cost $10, and though it very, very rarely gets used, it's nice to have it there when it does come in handy.

I really don't understand people being unhappy about legacy connections still being on motherboards; they cost peanuts to implement, and can be disabled in the BIOS if one is concerned about the extremely minimal performance hit of having them active. If they're useful to even 5% of the people that buy said motherboard, they're worth it IMHO.

Back