DFI Ultra-D or SLI-DR Expert?

film

Weaksauce
i noticed the price difference is only 50 bucks.. is the Expert worth the extra $? i plan on running it with a x1900xt in the meantime, but will most likely upgrade to a pair of 7900gt in a couple months when the price goes down a bit.. the extra $ doesnt mean that much to me, just don't wanna feel like an idiot getting a bunch of extra 'toys' in the box if thats all im getting... appreciate any input..

-

I'm curious to know as well.. Aren't all the ones above the Ultra-D the same board except with SLi? I mean... I wouldn't want to do the SLi Mod on the Ultra-D either. Would I expect the same overclocking potential with the other boards above the ULtra-D?

Ehg... the DFI Expert is supposed to be a better clocking board. New layout and some better components.

However, if your getting one (or any DFI board for that matter), good luck getting one that works right :rolleyes:

Viper87227 said:
Ehg... the DFI Expert is supposed to be a better clocking board. New layout and some better components.

However, if your getting one (or any DFI board for that matter), good luck getting one that works right :rolleyes:

yours runs like crud?

Viper87227 said:

?

Mine works just fine. Even booted up the very first time I tried...of course that just may be my experience talking =D.

noobtech said:
yours runs like crud?

No, mine doesnt run. I got one of the infamous no cold boot boards. First time I gave the board a cold boot, it tanked. Powers on for a few seconds, then shuts off. I have messed with it since yseturday almost non-stop... nothing works. It's good as dead. Now I get to be computerless for 3 weeks while it RMA's.

Funny how DFI works. When the Ultra-D came out, I got three consecutive bad boards, all having the faulty 5V memory problem. One of them took a CPU with it. I have build more computers than I can count... yet I only have problems with DFI boards. If I were the only one, I would say its my wrongdoing, but im not. Just go check out DFI-Street forums. The problems Ive had have all been widespread. Quality-Control issues anyone?

I said it after the Ultra-D fiasco, but this time I mean it. Never again will I purcahse a DFI product.

Viper87227 said:

That is true, the Expert supposedly does clock better, but the Ultra-D is good HTT to about 350 or so unless you are going for insane HTT, it should hold you over.

Hmmm, there was nothing wrong with my board...

well I am glad to hear about this because i've been considering getting rid of my mobo in my master rig... lol. Looks like i'll just keep her.

noobtech said:
well I am glad to hear about this because i've been considering getting rid of my mobo in my master rig... lol. Looks like i'll just keep her.

You've got a nice board. If it works, just keep it.

the expert has a different layout, dimm slots in different position, more space between the pcie slots. also has been engineered to get best results using bh5/utt type ram. been seeing some stuff about board wont start with hi-power psu's unless you send it back to factory for $15 mod, and some jive about it killing cpus.
ultra d runs great with tccd or infineon ram, a little picky with ram, especially corsair. new rev (not that new anymore) fixed a lot of the ram compatibility probs. easily converted to sli with a pencil and an exacto knife. i have had 2, and another in my kid's box, all three have run perfectly. luck? i have never owned an expert, or had one come across my bench, and have only read or heard about the above probs. i dont think it would be worth the extra $50. save it, and take your girlfriend to vegas for a week or 2.

vanilla_guerilla said:
the expert has a different layout, dimm slots in different position, more space between the pcie slots. also has been engineered to get best results using bh5/utt type ram. been seeing some stuff about board wont start with hi-power psu's unless you send it back to factory for $15 mod, and some jive about it killing cpus.
ultra d runs great with tccd or infineon ram, a little picky with ram, especially corsair. new rev (not that new anymore) fixed a lot of the ram compatibility probs. easily converted to sli with a pencil and an exacto knife. i have had 2, and another in my kid's box, all three have run perfectly. luck? i have never owned an expert, or had one come across my bench, and have only read or heard about the above probs. i dont think it would be worth the extra $50. save it, and take your girlfriend to vegas for a week or 2.

It you can manage a 2 week trip to vegas with your girlfriend on $50, I salute you :D

Back