DFI X48 DK Pre-Order - $253.98 shipped

Alpha&Omega

Limp Gawd
Just found this at motherboardpro. According to the website they will start shipping it next Friday.

DFI X48 Dark

I really like the appearance of this motherboard with the heatpipes...

Just because it uses the x48 chipset doesn't mean it has to use DDR3 memory. The new Asus RAMPAGE FORMULA x48 board uses DDR2 as well.

I'm sure he's alluding to the loss of max potential of using DDR3 vs DDR2. If you can afford these expensive boards might as well go DDR3 and get the max performance of the x48 chipset.

Okay, the X48 LT-T2R is just an X38 flashed with a X48 and diff cooler...

the same goes for the DK version...

price dropped to $237.98 shipped

Yep, even hotter. And the fact that it's DDR2 actually makes it hotter to me. Saves you money over any DDR3 capable X48 board price, and DDR2 is still a whole lot more cost effective right now. In fact Tom's Hardware's recent memory comparison showed dang near zero practical benefits performance wise in DDR3 over DDR2 right now.

If that keeps you from buying it, then you clearly don't have your priorities straight.

If I really hated the color orange it just might keep me from buying it lol. I was shopping for a PCP&P 750w Quad Silencer and I found the red crossfire version for a little cheaper and considered buying it instead of paying more for the black version but then I realized what an eyesore that bright red PSU was going to be in the silver or black Lian-Li case I was putting it in, especially considering I'm using nVidia cards instead of ATI Crossfire lol.

If I really hated the color orange it just might keep me from buying it lol. I was shopping for a PCP&P 750w Quad Silencer and I found the red crossfire version for a little cheaper and considered buying it instead of paying more for the black version but then I realized what an eyesore that bright red PSU was going to be in the silver or black Lian-Li case I was putting it in, especially considering I'm using nVidia cards instead of ATI Crossfire lol.

I know how you feel! I too am a bit vain sometimes and like my stuff to match. My Abit 680i board I used to have in my compy had the most awesome led's surrounding the back side of the mobo. They were incredible. They would cycle in awesome patterns around, reflecting of the metal of your motherboard tray. I've never seen a cooler looking LED lighting effect in a case before. It was straight off of Star Trek with a hint of Knight Rider ... But on the top side of the board, it had this one orange/reddish LED that was always on. Oh how it CLASHED with the sexy blue LED's on both the other side of the mobo and in the rest of my case - fans, PSU fan, HD indicator, etc.

I changed to the EVGA board, and even though it lacks the ubercool blue LED's on the backside, it somehow feels more pleasant because it has a single blue LED on top. And while it's quite simple and unimpressive alone, it compliments the rest of my setup much better.

I'm having trouble seeing how this is a hot deal. Seems like it isn't really a leap over P35 and the like. The P35 wasn't exactly leaps and bounds over 965, either.

Why should someone get this over a $140 motherboard?

I'm having trouble seeing how this is a hot deal. Seems like it isn't really a leap over P35 and the like. The P35 wasn't exactly leaps and bounds over 965, either.

P35's are excellent value, but X38/48 is more of an enthusiast class part. It does have a few more tweaks up its sleeve, and probably some more ports, overclocking options, cooling options, etc. Differs by manufacturer, but this DFI board is a well-made board with lots of bells and whistles. Yeah, maybe the performance edge is only ever-so-slightly above a P35 board, but that small difference is worth the premium to many. Look at extreme edition or black edition processors, for example.

I like refrigerators. Look at them as another example.

Model A keeps your food cold for $1000.

Model B keeps your food cold for $2600.

Both models are 22.6 cu feet and keep the same exact amount of food cold. Some people want the stainless, or the water dispenser, or the child safety lock. Yes, both models probably do exactly the same job - keep food cold - but it's the addition of extra features and abilities (and sometimes even better looks) that sell the higher priced models. I can understand why someone would want a fancier/nicer looking fridge in the kitchen. They will look at that for years, and nice matching appliances can help it seem more valuable if the owner ever wants to resell the house.

I sexy looking motherboard and the extra bells and whistles mean a lot to some users. Some show off their PC and have open windows to show its components. Maybe you place absolutely no value on such things. But for those that do, this low price on a dandy motherboard definitely qualifies as a hot deal. If you can find a better X48 board with comparable features and a lower price, please post a new thread in the Hot Deals section, and maybe even add a link to it here...

Enthusiasts boards made to be pushed to the limits of overclocking, and nothing else. Hard core enthusiasts would gladly shell out the big bucks to go 4.5 ghz with a dual core or over 460fsb with a quad(and rightfully so).

Back