Diablo 2 (like) Game

moetop

[H]ard|Gawd
Since I haven’t played this type of game in a long time, and my searches resulted in basically nothing. I thought I would ask if anyone could help me find a game similar to Diablo 2.

The reason I am looking is because Circuit City had a sale on Diablo 2 for $7 or $8, so I bought a couple of copy's, but I noticed it only runs at 640x480, and started to wonder if there is a similar game that met these specifications.

- Very Similar game play to Diablo 2
- $10 or under (not a month, one time cost). (a link to where you can get it would be nice)
- Supports at least 1024x768, and runs well on middle of the road hardware.
- (Min) 8 Player network (Non MMORPG)

Suggestions are appreciated.

If you don't have the expansion you're missing out on sooooo much, it changes the whole game. It does up the res. to 800x600, which I know isn't much, but I doubt you're going to finder a better point and click action RPG.

For middle of the road hardware I would recommend Sacred and its expansions. Its cheap and huge. Not sure your computer can handle it but Titan's Quest can be dubbed Diablo 3. It is that good. :D

Slartibartfast said:
If you don't have the expansion you're missing out on sooooo much, it changes the whole game. It does up the res. to 800x600, which I know isn't much, but I doubt you're going to finder a better point and click action RPG.

Word, word, word. If there was any way to convert people who didn't find D2 addicting when Classic came out, the Expansion helped. Look at it this way...Wal-Mart still sells D2 for 20 bucks, and the expansion for 20 bucks. A SIX year old game is still drawing a price tag greater than almost all new games after a few months, and it still sells! :cool:

I didn't like the Dungeon Siege games.

But as the previous poster mentioned, Sacred was almost a exact replica of Diablo 2 except better in alot of ways. And it doesn't take very good hardware either, 2D preanimated sprites just like D2.

Character selection and creation is an exact clone, and the inventory/combat system is very similar. Some of the combat numbers and the details of how different atributes work was kind of vague which was the only frustrating part for me.

The world itself was much better, you didn't have all these square zones connected by little paths. The world was much more free-form and flowing. The layout was much much better.

Nox was pretty fun. I don't know about the resolutions its an old one though.

I'll second both Sacred and Titan Quest. TQ is new, so still pretty expensive, though it's beautiful and addicting as hell. Sacred isn't as fun, but is still a great game and you can buy the Gold edition for under $30 and I belive it has the expansion packs in it... ;)

Icemastr said:
Nox was pretty fun. I don't know about the resolutions its an old one though.

IIRC 1024x768 was the max. You can crank up the AA/AF in your driver panel. (hopefully that doesn't crash the game - hehe)

(concerning the D2 expansion) Ya I saw that, but that misses out on the under $10. I wouldent mind 800x600, but there should be some game. When you want / need to buy 4 games you want to keep it cheap.. :)

www.playfate.com

Fate is a fun little diablo clone. Decent graphics, no story to speak of, but a fun little click and slash action-rpg. Worth a look and you can always try out the demo.

edit: just noticed the multiplayer - which I don't think Fate does...not bad if you ever look for a single-player option, though

wtburnette said:
I'll second both Sacred and Titan Quest. TQ is new, so still pretty expensive, though it's beautiful and addicting as hell. Sacred isn't as fun, but is still a great game and you can buy the Gold edition for under $30 and I belive it has the expansion packs in it... ;)

But Titan Quest has the small disadvantage of being the most unstable damn game ever made.

TQ is really good, it has me addicted, but the random crashes and glitches are a real let down. Whatever happened to the Fallout series? i never tried them, but wouldnt mind picking them up today.

krameriffic said:
But Titan Quest has the small disadvantage of being the most unstable damn game ever made.

Depends on your system I guess. I've played the game all the way through without updating and never had an issue. On my son's system though, it crashed a lot until we patched it. It's ran ever since with no problems though.

To the OP, sorry, didn't read well enough to see the $10 requirement.

JSC450 said:
Whatever happened to the Fallout series? i never tried them, but wouldnt mind picking them up today.
Fallout is far better than Diablo games. Mostly due to extremely large weapons capable of shooting people in the groin :)

krameriffic said:

It's probably your hardware, or you didn't patch the game. I've put 100+ hours into it and didn't crash once.

aznpxdd said:
It's probably your hardware, or you didn't patch the game. I've put 100+ hours into it and didn't crash once.

Your right. My hardware isn't good enough. It's a cosmic mystery how it can be better than yours which is capable of running the game stably and yet incapable of accomplishing that feat itself.

krameriffic said:
Your right. My hardware isn't good enough. It's a cosmic mystery how it can be better than yours which is capable of running the game stably and yet incapable of accomplishing that feat itself.

When did better hardware = more stable. :confused:

Overclocking and volt modding your CPU doesn't exactly help stability either. :rolleyes:

I haven't crashed since patching TQ to 1.08; however the game is picky with mem timings. My mobo is famous for having 1T probs, and this is the only app that makes me 1T unstable.

TQ is now out to 1.15, and as far as I can tell is completely stable. If you want it cheap, just ebay from Taiwan or something. Definitely 100% uber guarenteed pick-up if Diablo is your kind of thing!

EDIT: Don't take my eBay comment as advice.......

I just picked up nox from another forum trader, and have so far enjoyed it. I used to play it wayyy back in the day when pcgamer sent the demo out. always wanted to get the full ver. It does go up to 1024x768 and have some sort of effects tweaking, which will equate into "max it out". The style of the game is very remniscent of the diablo-esque days. personally, it makes me wish they still made games like this.

Also, OP - get the expansion pack for D2 - it makes all the difference. Other games on the cheap? I enjoy Grand Theft Auto 2 which i found for 2 (two) bucks new in box at a retail store. Rollcage was always a fun, fastpaced futuristic racing game - lotta fun, lotta speed, bit of frustration at times.

::edit::

See also Planescape: Torment, and Anachronox

titan quest is 25 on ebay for a new copy.

It's worth it.

Since version 1.08 they fixed all the bugs and my game hasn't crashed since.....

There have been FAR buggier games before titan quest anyway.

Think Stronghold2....that game was horrible even the tutorial crashed.

Dungeon Siege and Sacred are just not as fun as Diablo or Titan Quest. Something is missing in those games. I think if you like Diablo you'd really like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and then the 3rd game as well. The fourth game sucked and the fifth one is nothing like 2 or 3. But the second and third games were Awesome and to this day some of my favorite gaming time. Get a demo and give it a shot. They are a lot of fun.

krameriffic said:

Yeah, being snide helps... :rolleyes:

Could be just about anything about your system, a piece of hardware the game doesn't agree with, a driver, almost anything. Honestly, I ran the game all the way through with no patch at all and it played fine. I don't remember having a single crash. My gameplay was a little choppy at times, but no crashes. My son's computer, which has similar specs to yours, crashed all the time until we patched it. Since then he hasn't had any issues either. Who knows, maybe the recently released patch will take care of your issues?

Squishead said:
Fallout is far better than Diablo games. Mostly due to extremely large weapons capable of shooting people in the groin :)

I third that, I own all the fallout pc games, hopefully they revive Fallout 3.

Another game I played thats really similar to diablo2 is Divine Divinity. I would look at that, it's low requirements.

Divine Divinity was one of those games that didn't have the same aggresive advertisement and some other games, I played it and it was dam good, would love to find a copy.

Squishead said:
Dungeon Siege (1 or 2)

Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 were similar, in that the first half of each game was fun. I had to force myself to grindgrindgrindgrind my way to the end, since the level designers gave up at that point and resorted to throwing endless amounts of bad guys at you. That, and the stupid requirements for using guns. High STR and INT? What kind of character has both high STR and INT at lvl 40?! They're almost exclusive.

OP, if you're in the mood for some true oldschool, check out Nethack. Worse graphics than Diablo (and you thought it couldn't happen), but damn is it fun.

aznpxdd said:

Titan Quest crashed like a mutha until I broke down, went to the store and actually paid for it. Crash free ever since :)

Sacred is a very similar Diablo game, you can pick it up for 20 bucks or so, thats the gold with the expansion

Back