Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

He was wishing his ping was always that low. How in the world is that being entitled? :confused:

http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/224973-game-design-update/

It mentions the 1.1 PvP patch, although no details.

And here's information about the arenas in general:
http://www.diablowiki.net/Arena
Thanks much! I found what i wanted, which actually sounds like a decent compromise. Give geared players a few noobs to stomp and get their kicks pwnin noobs, but that increases their rating so it won't be permenant.

someone at blizzard said:
We’ll have matchmaking, yes. We’ve not implemented that into Diablo III yet, but we have a lot of company experience with matchmaking in World of Warcraft and Starcraft, and what we’ve found is to consider character level, and then a [hidden from the player] skill ranking. The skill ranking is usually sufficient to make good player matches, because even if there’s a vast difference in gear between the characters, that’s reflected in the skill ranking. That’s what we’ve talked about for Diablo III, at least.

And you’ll also be able to go in with organized teams, or to play alone and get slotted into a random team.
Ehh... If you're talking about Kripparian, everytime he's in a sticky situation in HC, he presses ESC to pause the game (he does not play with other players) and then logs into his account on a laptop so it instantly boots him.

The issue with Inferno isn't progression. Progression is 100% possible and honestly quite trivial (act and quest bosses are relatively easy). The problem with Inferno goes into core gameplay design.
IMO, the problem is the reduced cc effects. Lots of classes count on that, and to absolutely need a tank is annoying.

Not sure if mentioned or linked yet, but some details on the new 1.0.3 patch

D3 1.0.3 patch details
Wow, this actually does sound like a good patch :eek: Too bad it isn't here now :(

I hope that they don't really ramp up the death penalties, though I suppose it won't be as big of a deal if they make acts 2-4 easier. I'm still in act 2 and believe me, I'm not enjoying dieing over and over again. Increasing the penalty isn't going to give me an incentive to stay alive because I can't stay alive. Hell, more often than not the elites have regained their health by the time I revive and run back to them.
I think it will have their desired intent. Because you can't count on gear drops, death zerging to kill an elite pack or whatever is not worth the time currently. After 4x repair costs are implemented, people won't do this because they'll actually be losing gold. If they're doing nothing but dying, the natural thing to do would be to drop back and find something you can do.

Yeah servers are up and I got a ping of 30 right now cause nobody else is on....

Ahhh yes, this is what my ping should always be. :(

I think we're all hoping they'll address this. I have a feeling some ceo already looked at a graph and said, "nah don't buy more servers--in a month or two the load will die down...right? Besides, I already have plans to use that money for my new gold course"

edit: fuck that's a lot of quotes

Thanks much! I found what i wanted, which actually sounds like a decent compromise. Give geared players a few noobs to stomp and get their kicks pwnin noobs, but that increases their rating so it won't be permenant.

My take away from their statement is that with an ELO MM system, the higher geared characters will naturally start facing each other after they beat up on the lower geared players due to their rating.

What this essentially results in are ELO bands that are directly proportional to your gear. I.E. Your PvP Rating = Your Gear +/- a little bit of skill.

Of course, with any competitive rating system and PvP - for every winner there's a loser. I find that most people get discouraged or don't like PvP precisely because of this. Most people want to win most of the time. This just doesn't happen on an aggregate scale in a blanket win/loss scenario. There has to be incentive to play regardless of winning or losing (the best MP games encourage playing regardless of outcome). SC2 actually kind of fell into this trap. Most players complained about their rating and league placement while behind the scenes, the ELO system was working perfectly.

I find that PvP will likely be a whine fest of class balance and gear arguments. People will make the blanket complaint that they often fight opponents who are overgeared while ignoring the fact that they likely beat up on opponents who are undergeared. This is similar to the SC2 complaint when someone is matched against an opponent in a higher league and ignore the fact that sometimes they match against someone in a lower league.

Class balance whine fest will be pretty standard akin to WOW. Despite the steps (backwards) that D3 took to un-personalize your character (limited customization - even your character name is not apparent), people feel a certain attachment to a character as if they themselves are that character (note - people speak like I am a witch doctor or I am a barbarian rather than I have a witch doctor or I have a barbarian). To that end, the only game where I've seen any sort of detachment from players and their character class is GW1.

What does ELO stand for exactly? I thought it was only a LoL thing. Why not just use the word rating? :confused:

WoW arenas were the same way. You'd absolutely stomp people who were worse geared than you, then get stomped by people with better gear. It's probably the same equation used again in D3, so i guess i can't hope for better, but i would love if one of these queue systems were to tighten up the requirements on who you end up fighting.

Say you had 1000 rating, and their queue system allows for +/- 500 rating. So you could fight someone with a 500 rating, or at most a 1500 rating. With how many people there are on this game, hopefully they'll make it like +/- 100. So at 1000 rating you only fight in a range between 900-1100...

Thus providing matches where teams are more even and skill comes into play (that's the fun part of pvp imo), vs the alternative where all your wins are against people in worse gear and all your losses are against people with better gear.

What does ELO stand for exactly? I thought it was only a LoL thing. Why not just use the word rating? :confused:

WoW arenas were the same way. You'd absolutely stomp people who were worse geared than you, then get stomped by people with better gear. It's probably the same equation used again in D3, so i guess i can't hope for better, but i would love if one of these queue systems were to tighten up the requirements on who you end up fighting.

Say you had 1000 rating, and their queue system allows for +/- 500 rating. So you could fight someone with a 500 rating, or at most a 1500 rating. With how many people there are on this game, hopefully they'll make it like +/- 100. So at 1000 rating you only fight in a range between 900-1100...

Thus providing matches where teams are more even and skill comes into play (that's the fun part of pvp imo), vs the alternative where all your wins are against people in worse gear and all your losses are against people with better gear.

ELO is actually from Chess. I don't know if it was originally used somewhere else, but these online rating systems in videogames are very similar to the chess rating system. I did dabble a little in the USCF as a child. The SC2 provisional system and ELO rankings were almost a perfect mirror of Chess (but of course the ADHD internet crowd can't stand to have more than 5 provisional games and then complain that they get placed in an inaccurate league after such a small sample size of provisional games). It's such a close copy that there are even masters and grand masters in both games - a shout out from Blizzard to the system that they use.

The gear in WOW was believe it or not more controlled. There were oddball itemizations that provided powerful combinations, but in general the PvP gear was pretty controlled. Or at least it was when I got gladiator in Season 2. It's going to be wildly different with D3. Itemization can mean doubling or trippling someone else's DPS or HP / resists very easily. Also in WOW, even if you didn't start out very geared there was a very straightforward path to grind out the PvP gear (again, speaking to my experiences in Season 3 and earlier). Which also brings up the fact that there was specific PvP gear vs. the stuff you get from PvE. Of course some classes mixed and matched, but you could be successful with just the PvP gear.

ELO is actually from Chess. I don't know if it was originally used somewhere else, but these online rating systems in videogames are very similar to the chess rating system. I did dabble a little in the USCF as a child. The SC2 provisional system and ELO rankings were almost a perfect mirror of Chess (but of course the ADHD internet crowd can't stand to have more than 5 provisional games and then complain that they get placed in an inaccurate league after such a small sample size of provisional games). It's such a close copy that there are even masters and grand masters in both games - a shout out from Blizzard to the system that they use.

The gear in WOW was believe it or not more controlled. There were oddball itemizations that provided powerful combinations, but in general the PvP gear was pretty controlled. Or at least it was when I got gladiator in Season 2. It's going to be wildly different with D3. Itemization can mean doubling or trippling someone else's DPS or HP / resists very easily. Also in WOW, even if you didn't start out very geared there was a very straightforward path to grind out the PvP gear (again, speaking to my experiences in Season 3 and earlier). Which also brings up the fact that there was specific PvP gear vs. the stuff you get from PvE. Of course some classes mixed and matched, but you could be successful with just the PvP gear.

That's why post 60 was so lame. The introduction of Resilliance and the same boring pvp gear for everyone. They needed like 5 different sets for each class (more for druids etc obviously), but for example they should have given rogues the choice of going armor pen, attack speed, crit, survivability, etc... Mixing and matching is what it should be about, which is why i'm pretty stoked for D3 pvp.

Oh, and thanks for the lesson :cool: The more you know!

How much money do you think you need to get items to do inferno?

Agreed.

Act1 is cake...and with 1.0.3 promising no damage scaling, even more so now. Add that drops are now 18/8/2 (ilvl 61,62,63) items? I know I know, 2% for ilvl63 is very "so you're saying I have a chance," but it's better than nothing :p

Agreed.

Act1 is cake...and with 1.0.3 promising no damage scaling, even more so now. Add that drops are now 18/8/2 (ilvl 61,62,63) items? I know I know, 2% for ilvl63 is very "so you're saying I have a chance," but it's better than nothing :p

I suspect the best farming path might be inferno ponies post patch. They noted that with a 5 stack of NV, champs / elites will drop an additional rare after the patch. So it then boils down to how fast can you get 5 stacks and what super awesome champs/elites will drop stuff for you with those 5 stacks.

Getting 5 stacks in A1 when you're geared is insanely fast / trivial. I can go to fester woods and just deck all the elites / champs in there within 5 minutes. After that, a trip to the pony level might be the ultimate loot path. AFAIK, inferno ponies drop the same ilvl stuff as A3/A4 currently.

Got this image from the reddit thread (posted by XaeroR35)
EWZOi.jpg

Blizzard Quote (Source)

Last month we gave you a glimpse into how we were taking in initial feedback on the game, and ideas for some potential system changes we could make. Today we wanted to follow up and provide concrete info on some of the changes we’ve been working on, and give everyone a heads up before the 1.0.3 patch hits later this month.

Bridging the Item Gap

The ilvl (item level) of an item determines the statistical budget for its power. The way the game is currently set up, Act I drops ilvl 61 gear and below, Act II drops ilvl 62 gear and below, and Act III and IV drop ilvl 63 and below. Unfortunately this has caused two main issues. The first is players who find an Act too difficult feel compelled to use the auction house in order to progress. The second is that certain classes, skills, and play styles are less gear dependent than others, so although great items are making their way into the game economy, people feel pigeonholed into a handful of viable strategies. For a lot of people they would rather do something frustrating or boring in Hell Act IV (such as having Tyrael fight for them or breaking vases) for a chance at a "top-tier" upgrade, rather than fight hordes of monsters in Inferno Act I. We’re shifting to a philosophy where the best items in the game can drop from many different places, so a wider variety of play styles are viable. If you would rather chain-pull elite packs in Act I rather than 3 minute cat-and-mouse in Act IV, we'd like you to be able to do that and know you can still find the best items in the game.

Nothing would explain it as well as just sharing the intended drop rates coming in the next patch, so here they are. Note that the drop rates vary slightly by item type; the table below represents an approximate aggregated rate of all item types:

New drop rates for 1.0.3

Item

Hell Act III and IV

Inferno Act I

Inferno Act II

Inferno Act III/IV

iLvl 61

9 %

18%

19%

24%

iLvl 62

2%

8%

12%

16%

iLvl 63

0%

2%

4%

8%

As you can see, players who would rather murder monsters 4x as fast in Inferno Act I can do so knowing they have a chance at amazing items, and players who want a challenge can kill in Acts III and IV in Inferno and be rewarded with a higher drop rate.

You Keep Using That Word

As previously mentioned, we’re going to be reviewing Legendary items in a future patch. Legendaries won’t change in 1.0.3, but it’s still something we’re actively working on. When we’re done, high level Legendaries should be flat out better than blue items, they’ll carry a good amount of power with them, and they should also be distinctive or memorable in the benefits they provide. We’ll be able to share more information on the specific changes we’re making after 1.0.3 launches.

The Nephalem Difference

It’s no secret that our goal for the end-game item hunt is players hunting monsters packs, building to five stacks of Nephalem Valor, and then killing a boss. While we’re seeing a lot of that occurring, what we’re missing is people feeling like it’s worthwhile to continue onward after killing a boss. To help hit that goal we’re lowering the number of guaranteed Rare items on bosses when you have your full five stacks of Nephalem Valor from two guaranteed Rares to one guaranteed Rare (you still have a very good chance at multiple rares, it's just no longer guaranteed). In exchange, all champion and rare packs will now drop a bonus guaranteed Rare item when you have your full five stacks of Nephalem Valor. The change benefits players with more overall drops, and a reason to push to continue progressing.

You Into the Group Thing?

We’re removing the bonus monster damage per additional player in a coop game. Our design goal is for players who prefer to play solo to be able to play solo, and players who prefer to play in groups to be able to play in a group. We feel the bonus monster damage per additional player is one of the biggest inhibitors to wanting to play with your friends. In a perfect world, single player and co-op would be absolutely equal, but that’s not attainable when you consider item properties such as “Life on Kill” or skills such as Archon which simply scale better when you are solo. Since the variety and breadth of game mechanics essentially dictate that solo vs. group play will never be 100% equal, our goal is to make them as close as possible but err on the side of coop in cases where we need to make adjustments. The inherent logistical requirements when forming up with other players and attempting to work together effectively warrants some added benefits.

Oh Yeah!

Inferno balance right now has a difficulty gap in which Act I feels about right, but Act II feels like trying to bust through a brick wall. In patch 1.0.3 we’re going to be lowering that wall by adjusting the damage and health of monsters in Inferno Act II, III and IV. We feel like Act I Inferno is in a pretty good place. Our design goal with Acts II, III and IV is to keep them challenging, but smooth the difficulty ramp out a bit. If a monk or barbarian is geared well enough that they can use a heavily offensive build and murder everything in Act I, they should be able to swap to a more defensive build and do okay in Act II. As they gear up they can begin adjusting back to becoming offensive in Act II, at which point they can jump into Act III with a focus on defense, and so on. Difficulty certainly ties into itemization, encounter and enemy tuning, and class balance, and all of these things together are going to paint a more reasonable difficulty curve as you hit Inferno in 1.0.3.

Paying for Your Mistakes

Current repair costs at level 60 are barely noticeable, and because of that we see a lot of people wonder if “graveyard zerging” tough enemies or “chain rezzing allies on a boss” is intended gameplay – it definitely is not. To help solve the issue we evaluated a number of new death mechanics, such as just allowing the resurrection timer to increase even higher, disallowing resurrection during boss fights, or putting a debuff on you when you resurrect (such as reduced combat effectiveness). Ultimately we felt that increasing repair costs was the best solution that preserves the fast paced style of the game. Repair costs on level 60 items are going to go up a lot. Our goal is the next time a player is graveyard zerging a boss, it should occur to them that “this is probably not an efficient way to go about things”. We’re currently evaluating repair costs between 4x and 6x their current values. In the face of increasing costs, we recommend listening to the Hardcore players out there as they probably have some helpful advice on how to minimize repair costs. Following this change zerging a boss will still be possible, but our intent is that it won’t be optimal, and players who are seeking to be as efficient as possible will adjust their item hunting routes accordingly.

Whoa, Whoa, Nice Shootin’ Tex

We’re fixing a number of bugs with Attack Speed, mainly related to the stat not working on some items, but we’ve also decided we need to reduce the effectiveness of Increased Attack Speed overall. Many players have commented that Increased Attack Speed is such a dominant stat they feel it’s required. While we don’t have an issue with there being important stats, Increased Attack Speed in particular has secondary effects on mobility in combat, resource generation and resource consumption. We want there to be options and considerations for how you gear up, and one uber trump-everything stat can really work against choice and options. There are two different solutions we’re considering to reduce the effectiveness of Increased Attack Speed. The first is to simply reduce the value on all the items to their desired values. In general our desire is to never change items as that makes them feel less concrete, but the upside is you would still be able to look at an item and know exactly what you are getting. The other approach is to change the formula used for attack speed aggregation so that stacking attack speed from multiple slots suffers from diminishing returns. The downside of that approach is that it introduces yet another hidden modifier on an item property (and many people dislike hidden modifiers), and complicates the already difficult decision of item gearing. We’re currently leaning toward the first solution, to simply reduce the value on items, but we’d be interested to read people’s thoughts on the problem.

Just Three Two Easy Payments

We previously hinted that Blacksmith and Jeweler costs are coming down, and overall it will be far more reasonable to train them up and craft items. The most dramatic reduction is on the combine costs for tier 2-8 gems.

Gem Quality

Previous Cost

New Cost

Flawed

3 Chipped + 500 gold

2 Chipped + 10 gold

Normal

3 Flawed + 750 gold

2 Flawed + 25 gold

Flawless

3 Normal + 1250 gold

2 Normal + 40 gold

Perfect

3 Flawless + 2000 gold + 1 Page

2 Flawless + 55 gold + 1 Page

Radiant

3 Perfect + 3500 gold + 2 Pages

2 Perfect + 70 gold + 2 Pages

Square

3 Radiant + 7500 gold + 1 Tome

2 Radiant + 85 gold + 1 Tome

Flawless Square

3 Square + 20,000 gold + 2 Tomes

2 square + 100 gold + 2 Tomes

The gem combine costs for Perfect Square and above will remain unchanged.

Nerf Them, Buff Me

Class tuning is not a major focus for 1.0.3. There will be a small number of skills changes, but for the most part we want people to continue experimenting and enjoy their skills for a while. Our goal was and continues to be build diversity, and though we see quite a bit of build diversity, we think we can do much better. Class tuning will be an ongoing process, and we’re targeting the 1.1 patch for most class tweaks, with a focus on punching build diversity up a few more notches.

But What About…

While these are a few of the larger systems adjustments we’re making, the 1.0.3 patch will include many fixes, quality of life enhancements, Auction House improvements, and other changes. We hope you look forward to the patch as much as we do getting it out there, and again we appreciate your continued feedback. See you in-game!

I pulled this from d3db hehe.

Agreed.

That's what drops WILL be with 1.0.3. The patch today is 1.0.2b. The patch today changed very little.

The grouping change is hella good. It was a penalty to play with other people past NM difficulty. I just cannot play inferno with others it becomes to darn hard. I was already getting 1 shotted, then buff the mobs because 1 person joins? bleh.

The HP increase I could totally deal with but that extra dmg was crazy. Wasn't it like 45% for 4 people?

How do you mean? Are those drop rates worse than currently? I thought they were improving upon the ability to get ilvl 63 items ;(

They are being improved. Sounds like he is complaining about a grindy game when said grindy game was already known to be... grindy.

In other words. QQ more.

Other than adding more gold grinding for gear repair, it seems like a good patch (the upcoming 1.0.3)

Other than adding more gold grinding for gear repair, it seems like a good patch (the upcoming 1.0.3)

It won't be that bad. AH prices will go down significantly since way more people will have access to the good gear. The money saved on the AH will cover the repairs.

I wish we could do customer support at my help desk job the way Blizzard does customer support!

Put in for a refund several days ago (per what the EULA allows) and got an answer back last night (morning in the states) stating that they're closing my customer service ticket because they're too busy to respond to it.

Really?

I can only imagine what kind of response I'd get if I tried to tell one of my customers, "sorry sir, we can't help you, we're busy right now." :rolleyes:

Fucking Blizzard.

Nice patch. I won't play till they release it, too frustrating.

I wish we could do customer support at my help desk job the way Blizzard does customer support!

Put in for a refund several days ago (per what the EULA allows) and got an answer back last night (morning in the states) stating that they're closing my customer service ticket because they're too busy to respond to it.

Really?

I can only imagine what kind of response I'd get if I tried to tell one of my customers, "sorry sir, we can't help you, we're busy right now." :rolleyes:

Fucking Blizzard.

Follow up a couple days later threatening a charge back. Bet you they respond.

I'll be honest, if I had to prioritize between paying customers and people asking for a refund...take a guess. And not really singling you out, but kind of sad at some of the other posters putting in significant hours of gaming then going for a refund.

Caveat emptor.

I'll be honest, if I had to prioritize between paying customers and people asking for a refund...take a guess. And not really singling you out, but kind of sad at some of the other posters putting in significant hours of gaming then going for a refund.

Caveat emptor.

I didn't put in significant hours. I've been bored/disappointed with the game almost since release. I didn't make them put in a 30 day refund blurb in their EULA. I'm just asking them to fulfill their end of that contract.

Im pretty excited about this patch. Trying to farm anything past act 1 was an exercise in futility when trying to group. Hell, I would br fine with them leaving the current difficulty as long as they cut out the extra player damage and fixed the item drops. I don't know what they were thinking making the drops in act 1 so bad. Oh wait, they wanted you do use the ah lol.

Anyway, as long as they don't make inferno too easy, this could be the best thing that's happened to this game.

Bought these yesterday, one on the left for 10K and the other for 222K
d3-10k-xbow.jpg

I actually bought 3 1H X-Bows but one of them didn't stack up right so I put it back in the AH.
Paid 80K sold it for 120K in no time at all.

d3-ah-deals.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought using 2 1 hand bows crippled your DPS because it used the average between the two?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought using 2 1 hand bows crippled your DPS because it used the average between the two?

I didn't mean using them at the same time, I am using a quiver now which was suggested here a couple days ago.

Actually, I need to correct my statement above, the one I bought and sold was for 1 level higher than I was.
I had been shopping for lvl 58-60 weapons with lvl reduction and turned off the lvl reduction and forgot about it and bought it quickly since it was cheap with high dps and if you think too long, you won't get it. Happened plenty of times so far on excellent items with great prices.

I leveled up really fast so I probably should have kept it. Zoltan kulle runs in Hell, 96k xp in less than a minute.

We're currently stuck at Diablo in Hell. I can't beat him and neither can my friend with his barbarian. I actually last longer playing with another player since I can stand back.
I have no fire protection and only 20k damage and 25k HP

Last edited:
I didn't mean using them at the same time, I am using a quiver now which was suggested here a couple days ago.

Actually, I need to correct my statement above, the one I bought and sold was for 1 level higher than I was.
I had been shopping for lvl 58-60 weapons with lvl reduction and turned off the lvl reduction and forgot about it and bought it quickly since it was cheap with high dps and if you think too long, you won't get it. Happened plenty of times so far on excellent items with great prices.

I leveled up really fast so I probably should have kept it. Zoltan kulle runs in Hell, 96k xp in less than a minute.

We're currently stuck at Diablo in Hell. I can't beat him and neither can my friend with his barbarian. I actually last longer playing with another player since I can stand back.
I have no fire protection and only 20k damage and 25k HP
Message me your in game battle tag if you need Diablo dead. I can bring either my monk or my demon hunter who has 32k damage without sharpshooter. 79k with.

The only reason I ask is that its always difficult to sort through all the BS and what people think as opposed to what actually works.

I haven't found a good theroycrafting site that really gives me any solid idea. I've just been going on what seems to be the majority consensus and enjoying the game.

Thanks for the reply :)

Message me your in game battle tag if you need Diablo dead. I can bring either my monk or my demon hunter who has 32k damage without sharpshooter. 79k with.

Will do. I appreciate it.

So, anyone understands how the commodity auction works now in AH?

Each time I search for a particular gem in a particular quantity, it list out one buyout price only?

Back