Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Glorious! I've been fortunate enough to find a bunch of legendaries but unfortunately they've pretty much all been trash, so this was a refreshing change of pace to actually find an upgrade this late in the game. The only other self-found legendary I'm using is one of those Messerschmidt's Reavers...and my Enchantress is wielding it. :p

Nice man, with so much crap that drops its cool to see people get good loot. I was curious if those pants can roll sockets or not?

Nice man, with so much crap that drops its cool to see people get good loot. I was curious if those pants can roll sockets or not?

I'm not too sure, but if they did I think it would take up one of the +2 random properties rolls wouldn't it? For shits 'n' giggles I looked up what my kind of stats were going for on the AH and it looks to be in an elite range. I'm going to use 'em though as they were a pretty nice upgrade with the +478 LoH, and since I was already building around life regen (1800+) it was a great stat to roll for me.

How long does it take for you guys to farm for one best in slot item? Been thinking of getting lacunis and zunimassa's trail for my char but I simply cannot afford one with decent random stats that fit my character. The only thing I can afford right now are just trifecta gloves.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/yimingwuzere-6133/bwainz/1389643

Best in slot is really only good if you have other gear to make use of it. The 50-70m belt is a good upgrade for me because it nets me almost 13k more dps, but with without my current gear, it wouldn't be worth that upgrade and id be better off getting other pieces first.

The exception is specials from legendaries such as laccuni bracers for run speed. +12 run speed is good with boots no matter how the rest of your gear is. I bought mine with int and 20% mf for 7m. I was hoping for crit ones, but the IAS at least made up for lack of int.

You have great crit but your crit dmg is not taking advantage of that. You might want to look for crit/crIt dmg rings, amulets and gloves. Also look for a weapon with crit dmg already on it with a socket. Your dps can go up with more crit dmg, even if the actual weapon dps drops a small amount, you'll have to run the comparisons yourself to know what that tipping point is.

You have great crit but your crit dmg is not taking advantage of that. You might want to look for crit/crIt dmg rings, amulets and gloves. Also look for a weapon with crit dmg already on it with a socket. Your dps can go up with more crit dmg, even if the actual weapon dps drops a small amount, you'll have to run the comparisons yourself to know what that tipping point is.

Yea this is what started my crusade toward crit/crit dmg. I had spent like 800k on a 900dps blue wand awhile ago, and my buddy said it was crap and gave me a 700 dps wand... i was like, uhh, wtf? but it actually raised my dps because it had int and +98% crit dmg on it.

1.0.5 patch Sneak Peak

We’ll have articles in the coming days providing all the details on the upcoming patch, but we wanted to give you a sneak peek at what major features to expect.

Defensive Skill Changes

In our eternal quest to promote build diversity; we’ll be making changes to defensive skills across the board while simultaneously reducing incoming damage. The net result is a survivability buff for players, and an increase in build options as defensive abilities become less “mandatory.”

New Event: Infernal Machine

The Infernal Machine is a device that will allow level-60 players to battle “uber” versions of some of Sanctuary’s most nefarious bosses. While the rewards for defeating these bosses will be great, some assembly is required.

New System: Monster Power

Similar to the “Players 8” command in Diablo II, the Monster Power system is designed to give players more control over how challenging enemies are in each difficulty.

This and more is coming in Patch 1.0.5! Stay tuned for all the gory details.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155880/Patch_105_Sneak_Peek-9_13_2012

^^ Fuck yes!

Infernal Machine sounds cool, though i'm nowhere near ready for it... something to look forward too though, after the disappointment that was/is Whimseywhatever.

All good changes, yet again. They're taking their time with these fixes, but they're all spot on. It does bug me that every wizard in inferno basically has Diamond Skin with the increased absorb damage rune, and the shield which increases All Res. Hopefully this is the sort of thing they're going to address.

I hope the CC buff is still coming, as it was left out of there.

AND! They're doing the Monster Power system!!! That's going to make rolling new HC characters a fucking blast :drool:

I think cool pvp rewards would be +%exp or mf for an hour or something to that effect. That way pvp is not manditory for those who don't care for it, but it provides benefits for most people to partially make up for time spent pvping. It should not surpass what you can accomplish straight up farming/grinding so people aren't forced to grind pvp for the most efficient pve grind.

Looks like a straight up buff for my build sInce the only defensive e ability I use is prismatic armor. If I can drop that for crit and have decent survivability, then I'll be golden.

Monster machine can go bad very quickly. It's a nice idea but a very slippery slope to spread the gap between those with gear and those without worse than it already is. It will go back to the same issue of those with only the best gear will gain access to one area which drops the best loot and the people crying to mommy about how RMAH is the only way to get there.

I wonder where I would fall in "assembly required". If its a dps race, 100k should be pretty good in from of the bell curve

Last edited:
Sold an ammy for 6.5M last night; prior to that my biggest sale was 1M! So excited, got 3 new pieces of gear out of it and moved up to 71k DPS. However even at 71k dps, my 4.3% life steal (2.8% wep, 1.5% blood familiar) doesn't seem to keep up with 620 LOH wep and 1.5% life steal (blood familiar).

Had a few amazingly geared WDs join my public games the past few games...my new favorite "tank" in the group for their pets. Literally ran full speed through all of Act 3, great fun.

Can't wait for 1.0.5; after a pretty lackluster start Blizzard really seems to be tuning D3 quite well, I have to give them props for that. I was pretty disappointed with the vanilla release, but they've definitely pulled me back in with the changes.

yeah found a pair of immortal kings stride and made a pretty penny on them so managed to afford a few upgrades for my wiz.

Sold an ammy for 6.5M last night; prior to that my biggest sale was 1M! So excited, got 3 new pieces of gear out of it and moved up to 71k DPS. However even at 71k dps, my 4.3% life steal (2.8% wep, 1.5% blood familiar) doesn't seem to keep up with 620 LOH wep and 1.5% life steal (blood familiar).

Had a few amazingly geared WDs join my public games the past few games...my new favorite "tank" in the group for their pets. Literally ran full speed through all of Act 3, great fun.

Can't wait for 1.0.5; after a pretty lackluster start Blizzard really seems to be tuning D3 quite well, I have to give them props for that. I was pretty disappointed with the vanilla release, but they've definitely pulled me back in with the changes.

Your actual damage on a monster has to hit for about 72k with 4.3% life steal to equal 620 LOH. Take your damage done on a mob, divide by 5, multiply by life steal percentage and you'll get it's equivalent to loh. Then add those two up and multiply by the coefficient of the ability you used to calculate actual hp regained per hit

Your actual damage on a monster has to hit for about 72k with 4.3% life steal to equal 620 LOH. Take your damage done on a mob, divide by 5, multiply by life steal percentage and you'll get it's equivalent to loh. Then add those two up and multiply by the coefficient of the ability you used to calculate actual hp regained per hit

Divide by 5?

It all makes sense except for that step :p

Divide by 5?

It all makes sense except for that step :p

Inferno has an 80% nerf to life steal
Nightmare -20
Hell-40
Inferno-80. It's kinda annoying at first, but like developers said it will be come godly at high levels. Considering people can get to 150k dps, life steal after nerf does reach godly pevels

Gotcha. Lifesteal but not LoH? an interesting design choice. Too late to rebalance it now.

It actually favors life steal in the long run. If your gear improves your damage dealt, life steal improves, loh won't scale with higher damage.

That's only with 1h too. 2h can have up to 6, dual weilders can get 6 off of weapons too. Barb belts can add another 3 and barb passive can add another 3.

12% life steal at 100k attacks is equivalent to 2400 life on hit

The one issue I have is really understanding wizard DPS. The number I see is 71k DPS, however:

I can drop a meteor that hits every 3 seconds. With my build I can drop hydra, 2 meteor, 3 magic missles in about 5 seconds. Together, to me, that looks like:

Meteor hits for 150k on average, working in crits: 300k
Hydra appears to hit once each 1.5s, so around ~90k
Magic missle can crit for up to 140k, easily averages ~220k in 3 hits.

So in 5 seconds I do approximately 122k DPS. Even if that takes 6 seconds, it's still ~101k DPS. Using the base DPS from the screen doesn't, IMO, appropriately calculate your true DPS unless I'm wildly missing something here.

And sorry I'm theorycrafting here...any other gaming sites are blocked by work firewalls, I'd love to delve into it further. But once I'm home I'm actually playing the game.

Paper doll sheet dps doesn't take into account skill damage. It's basically just the damage the game systems calculate, derived from your gear, including stuff like IAS, crit damage, crit chance, etc.

Paper doll sheet dps doesn't take into account skill damage. It's basically just the damage the game systems calculate, derived from your gear, including stuff like IAS, crit damage, crit chance, etc.

This, if you were to use basic attack(removing left click skill or using arcane abilities with no arcane) the number would represent hitting a target over a long period of time (crit is factored into this.

I would think most builds should do more damage than their dps shows because of abilities that hit for more than 100%, multi mob hitting abilities, and attack speed factor abilities (ie electrocute has an attack speed of 2, so I hit twice as fast as say magic missile).

Improved archon does 25% damage and beam hits for 200% damage, and hits an unlimited amount of mobs, so dps cannot be measured off the field.

It does put things in perspective, someone with 75k dps would kill 3 times faster than someone with 25k dps using the same abilities.

Thanks for the replies. Just makes it that much harder to find out where my breakeven point is for a given lifesteal vs LOH; I guess field testing/eyeballing it will have to do for now. Plus I imagine it is situational too, number of mobs, etc...

I finally killed Inferno Diablo tonight. I lagged/DCed and died a few times before when I was jsut about ready. Forgot to switch my MF gear a couple times and died. It fels good to have it out of the way. I wish I had done it before the last round of nerfs, but oh well.

As a bonus, I found a 6 property glove plan on the way there. They are still worth a decent amount in HC, so that was nice.

Woot! Found an 80res IK boots, Lowest buyout is 37.5mil, lowest perfect res is 45mil. Hopefully I'll have my Witcher hour belt for this weekend! :)

PS, I also found a 44% MF sunkeeper this morning, and a Goldskin about 10 minutes before this dropped. It was a nice surprise to see this drop since i didnt expect to get a third today. Good thing I finished up my skycrown run after dying once.

Oh man I just found a pretty sweet helmet. 189 Int, 90 vit, 45 AR, 5.5% crit and a socket. That's an 8.2k DPS boost for me. My current helm is the only piece of gear giving me pickup radius though. I am going to be so annoyed trying to pick up stuff without it haha.

edit: Now I'm just a stone's throw away from 100k dps, my next paragon level should get me there.

I am also one of those having issues getting legendary drops. I've gotten maybe 3 total. Two were a level 50 and one was at level 60 not worth much. I did an Act 3 run yesterday and had two Greens drop within 1 minute of each other. They came off standard mobs.

The crazy thing is that I was not wearing my MF gear as it's not good enough as a DH to get through A3. So I was at 5 Valor and roughly 149% MF and got these two drops. They both sold for close to 40mill total pretty quickly. Thinking I might of undervalued them.

My MF gear with 5 Valor puts me at 354% MF and as I mentioned rarely see Legendary drops. :(

Oh man I just found a pretty sweet helmet. 189 Int, 90 vit, 45 AR, 5.5% crit and a socket. That's an 8.2k DPS boost for me. My current helm is the only piece of gear giving me pickup radius though. I am going to be so annoyed trying to pick up stuff without it haha.

edit: Now I'm just a stone's throw away from 100k dps, my next paragon level should get me there.

I know the feeling, I've been running with 0 pickup radius too.

It has its upsides though, I can better manage the health globes and save them for when I'm in a bind, but yeah, I've been skipping a lot of gold.

Mepho of twilight dropped this morning, unfortunately no main stat or crit

Helm
78 All Resist
12% Life
9% Ias
60 Cold Resistance
Armor

I guess it wouldn't be too bad for a cold reist monk to boost up survivability by a lot (cold resist,ar, and armor). EDIT: Looks like its bugged, it's supposed to drop 170-200 main stat, which I would replace my 6crit/11electrocute helm on my char if it had 170int, or it would sell for a****ton if it had dex for cold resist monks. Sad as they probably wont retroactively fix this

Last edited:
I am also one of those having issues getting legendary drops. I've gotten maybe 3 total. Two were a level 50 and one was at level 60 not worth much. I did an Act 3 run yesterday and had two Greens drop within 1 minute of each other. They came off standard mobs.

The crazy thing is that I was not wearing my MF gear as it's not good enough as a DH to get through A3. So I was at 5 Valor and roughly 149% MF and got these two drops. They both sold for close to 40mill total pretty quickly. Thinking I might of undervalued them.

My MF gear with 5 Valor puts me at 354% MF and as I mentioned rarely see Legendary drops. :(

I'd like an explanation for this too. I'm just shy of 300% MF and I've found 3 legendaries in the ~120 hours of game time. None of which were found from an elite...only trash mobs.

You people and your complaining about only getting 3 legendary drops lol... i still have only gotten one drop above rare, a lvl 40 legendary claw while originally leveling when the game came out. Boy would i love to see a real set or legendary drop :(

http://us.battle.net//d3/en/blog/7155884

We're taking a close look at defensive skills vs. incoming monster damage in 1.0.5. We’re going to be changing a few defensive skills for each class, including some direct nerfs to skills like wizard Energy Armor and barbarian War Cry - Impunity. However, we're also reducing incoming damage in Inferno, so players will actually come out ahead. In short the plan is:
Reduce the effectiveness of select defensive skills
Reduce monster damage by more than the mitigation lost by these skills
Putting both changes together, players actually take less damage than before

Why We're Making This Change
Why are we doing this? The reason is not complicated. High incoming monster damage combined with extremely powerful defensive skills make those skills and runes feel mandatory. Our goal is that by simultaneously nerfing defensive skills and reducing incoming damage, players who choose to continue using these defensive skills will take less damage overall, and players who choose to forego these "mandatory" skills will find themselves more survivable than what you would currently experience on live. Overall, these changes result in a huge buff in the player’s favor. Just how mandatory are these skills?

As it is now, Energy Armor is used by 83% of level 60 wizards. Also, take a look at the distribution of the War Cry skill on level 60 barbarians:

In developing Diablo III, defensive skills were made potent because we wanted to ensure they would be attractive. In some regards, we were too successful. Many players feel compelled to grab every defensive skill available to them, which can take away from some flexibility in using different build options.

This also creates problems for a class that may have less defensive skills. When one class has massive defensive buffs, abilities like Mortar, Arcane Enchanted, and Plagued can feel pretty modest, and at the same time feel overly punishing to a class without them. We’re all in favor of people being able to build their character for survivability, but there needs to be a balance.

How Much is Enough?
So the stated goal is to make sure the combination of the defensive skill nerf combined with the reduced damage from monsters still results in an overall buff to players. Let's bust out some math! As previously mentioned, Energy Armor is one of the skills being impacted. The exact change is the base armor provided by Energy Armor is being reduced from 65% to 35%, and the resistance increase provided by Prismatic Armor is being reduced from 40% to 25%.

The benefit of these skills is greater at higher levels of Armor and Resistance, so let’s assume very high numbers of each. Suppose a wizard has 6000 Armor and 800 Resist before Prismatic Armor. Assuming a level 63 enemy:
In 1.0.4 this translates to 9900 Armor (75.86% mitigation) and 1120 Resist (78.05% mitigation) with Prismatic Armor, for a total mitigation of 94.70%
In 1.0.5 this will be 8100 Armor (72.00% mitigation) and 1000 Resist (76.05% mitigation) with Prismatic Armor, for a total mitigation of 93.29%
If a monster hits for 50,000 damage, then the damage taken by the wizard will go from 2650 damage to 3355 damage.
This means incoming damage would have to be less than 79% of the current value (2650 /3355) in order for it to feel the same after 1.0.5.
Based on this it’s clear that in order to ensure 1.0.5 is a net buff for all wizards we’d have to reduce incoming monster damage by at least 21%. Prismatic Armor still provides a significant boost to survivability, but it should no longer feel mandatory, opening up other options such as a more offensively minded Storm Armor (which is getting buffed in 1.0.5).

Let’s do another example with the barbarian. War Cry Impunity is being reduced from 50% resistances to 20%.
A barbarian with 800 resist before War Cry against a level 63 enemy translates to 1200 Resist (79.21% mitigation) with Impunity in 1.0.4
In 1.0.5 this will be 960 Resist (75.29% mitigation) with Impunity
If a monster hits for 20,000 damage after Armor, then the damage taken by the Barbarian will go from 4158 damage to 4942 damage
This means incoming damage would have to be less than 84% of the current value on live (4158/4942) in order for the game to feel the same.
As it happens, we’re going to reduce all damage in Inferno by at least 25%. Players who want to be the toughest damage mitigators in the game can continue to use defensive skills and get a sizable bonus for doing so. Players who want to use other skills can do so without sacrificing such a massive amount of survivability. Class builds that don't currently use heavy mitigation skills such as Smoke Screen-focused demon hunters or Gargantuan-tanking witch doctors will find their survivability has gone up considerably due to reduced incoming monster damage.

Class by Class
Here's a quick rundown of what's changing in terms of defensive skills in 1.0.5.
Barbarian:
War Cry - Impunity: Bonus resistance reduced from 50% to 20%.
Leap - Iron Impact: We’re adjusting the design of this skill. Rather than providing 300% armor for 4 seconds, it’s going to provide 100% armor per target hit for 3 seconds. So if you don't hit any targets, you won't get any armor. If you hit 5 targets, you'll actually get 500% armor. We are making this change because the intended fantasy of Iron Impact is a barbarian who leaps into the thick of battle and is super tough. The way the skill plays out on live it is essentially an Ignore Pain that can also move you. For the most part it is better than Ignore Pain, making not only Ignore Pain unattractive, but also the other Leap Attack runes. In 1.0.5, if you want a defensive cooldown - grab Ignore Pain. If you want to leap into the thick of battle and be super tough, take Iron Impact.
Demon Hunter:
In the case of the demon hunter, the class is a bit too binary. If you're playing a glass cannon Smoke Screen build, then you're invulnerable most of the time, and when you make a mistake, you die instantly. If you're using Shadow Power - Gloom with a legacy Natalya's set, then you have near constant uptime of 65% damage reduction, but if you're not using the legacy Natalya's set, Shadow Power - Gloom is a luxury.
Independent of the general defensive skill nerf, we had already decided to buff Shadow Power to last longer. The primary purpose of Shadow Power is to give you a short window of time during which you can unload some damage to recoup some Life. Unfortunately the 3-second duration makes this awkward to use. We are changing Shadow Power from 20% Life Steal for 3 seconds to 15% Life Steal for 5 seconds. This should be a modest buff to the skill as well as making it a lot more pleasant to use. All of the runes are scheduled to see similar changes, such as Blood Moon going from 30% Life Steal for 3 seconds to 25% Life Steal for 5 seconds. Each rune effect is slightly smaller, but for 5 seconds instead of 3 seconds, resulting in an overall buff over the duration of the effect.
Taking into account the across-the-board nerf to defensive skills, Gloom will become 35% damage reduction for 5 seconds.
This developer journal is focused primarily on defensive skill changes, but because the change to Gloom is significant, I want to mention that we are looking at concrete mechanics changes to the demon hunter to introduce new play styles. Many players have mentioned that outside of Gloom, demon hunters seem to lack defensive options. More importantly, demon hunters would like some different play styles, and we agree! Here are a few changes we are adding for demon hunters in 1.0.5 to open up new ways to play:
We are adjusting some runes and passives to provide ways to increase survivability that scales with your Life, Armor, and resistances.
We are changing the Spider, Boar, and Wolf companion pets to be actual pets that can tank for you like a Gargantuan or Zombie Dog.
We are putting a short cooldown on Sentry, but you can have two out simultaneously. On top of that, the Custom Engineering passive will let you have a third Sentry turret! This opens up a whole new play style for the Demon Hunter of establishing a "nest" that you can draw enemies into.
Monk:
The strongest monk defensive skill is One With Everything. We've mentioned it before and it bears repeating - this is something we would like to fix someday, but we're going to take our time. Changes to One With Everything heavily impact existing monk gear. We still plan on addressing this in the future but will do so in a way that does not invalidate the gear monks have invested in.
Resolve: Damage reduction reduced from 25% to 20%.
Seize the Initiative: Changed to grant 50% of your Dexterity as Armor. This will result in anywhere from 750 to 1250 armor for most monks (depending on your Dex) which is comparable to the mitigation lost by other classes. The reduction to Resolve and Seize the Initiative should mean if you want to be a “super-tanky monk” you can still take all three defensive skills, but it should be a lot easier to pick some other passives without feeling like you’re going to blow up at the first Elite pack you encounter.
Witch Doctor:
Jungle Fortitude is being reduced from 20% to 15% damage reduction.
Wizard:
Energy Armor: Armor increase reduced from 65% to 35%.
Energy Armor - Prismatic Armor: Resistance increase reduced from 40% to 25%.
It’s worth noting that we’re going to provide additional alternative defensive options for the wizard such as adding flat melee damage reduction to Ice Armor and creating a Familiar variant that provides passive Life regeneration.
Why You Nerf Inferno?
Alright, so let's recap. Defensive skills are taking a hit in 1.0.5, but incoming damage from monsters is also being reduced. Taken together, the changes mean Inferno is going to be easier. For some of you this is totally cool; you welcome an easier Inferno because it’s about efficiency and not difficulty. For others, you may be skeptical but you're at least intrigued at the possibility that you'll be able to drop some defensive skills and discover some new builds. However, for others, Inferno is currently already too easy. Maybe you don't use any defensive skills; maybe your gear is so good you dropped War Cry - Impunity weeks ago. For this last group you may be wondering "Another Inferno nerf? But I crave more of a challenge, not less!"

For people in this last group, 1.0.5 is bringing the "Monster Power" system. The details of this system will be outlined as we get closer to 1.0.5, but in short this is a callback to the Diablo II ”players X” option, allowing you to increase the level of challenge for increased rewards. Our hope is that we can make Inferno easier while simultaneously providing new ways for top-end players to gauge their increasing power in tangible ways.

We’re going to lock comments here, and ask that you instead head to this forum thread to let us know what you think.

LOH vs Life Steal.

Use Life on Hit when:
High attack speed >1.6 Lower Weapon damage
DPS < 80,000

Use Life Steal when:
Low attack speed < 1.5 Higher Weapon damage
DPS >60,000
Slow Attack rate Spells.

and once your DPS is > 80,000 your probably better off with Life Drain unless you attack speed is crazy high.

You could do the math to calculate it but fuck math.

1.05 changes are going to be off the hook.......LIFE REGEN FAMILIAR.

Last edited:
Something like d2's 'Players X' would be a great addition.

Its true about the monk passives for sure. I've used OWE, Resolve and Seize Init forever. If you don't its a huge incoming damage increase.

Just checked back into the website, and saw they were nerfing gear ... again!

Cashed out all my gear for $3K and glad I did. My Natalyas Legacy gear was godly, now, a nerf to Trail of Cinders and a nerf to Gloom.

Waste of time game.

In what way are they nerfing gear? Just certain set bonuses? or is it another IAS type nerf?

blizz said:
1.0.5 is bringing the "Monster Power" system. The details of this system will be outlined as we get closer to 1.0.5, but in short this is a callback to the Diablo II ”players X” option, allowing you to increase the level of challenge for increased rewards.
I'm stoked that they also said "increased reward" as this is what i was hoping for. Can't wait for 1.0.5!

Cashed out all my gear for $3K and glad I did. My Natalyas Legacy gear was godly, now, a nerf to Trail of Cinders and a nerf to Gloom.

Waste of time game.

All I see is, I made $3k from this game and I still have something to bitch an moan about.

Do people expect this game to cure cancer and stop world hunger all at the same time?

In what way are they nerfing gear? Just certain set bonuses? or is it another IAS type nerf?

I'm stoked that they also said "increased reward" as this is what i was hoping for. Can't wait for 1.0.5!

They do things such ass backwards. Instead of just buffing everything and leaving Inferno alone, they nerf defensives and nerf the difficulty. It makes no freaking sense.

I think this will just swing the pendulum the other way and eveyrone will drop defensives completely, even in HC mode.

They do things such ass backwards. Instead of just buffing everything and leaving Inferno alone, they nerf defensives and nerf the difficulty. It makes no freaking sense.

I think this will just swing the pendulum the other way and eveyrone will drop defensives completely, even in HC mode.

Well, so far their changes haven't let me down. I know that on my wizard, i'm toast if i drop energy armor and diamond skin. Pretty much every wizard has those, so i'm not too upset that they're trying to fix that.

I hear you though, they are doing things too slow, many many runes and moves still need buffs to make them compete.

Maybe i'm okay with it because i've finally come to terms with the fact that the game i bought was in Beta, and will be completed when the expansion comes out. It's painfully obvious in the changes they are making, and the fact that PVP still isn't in the game, etc.

To be fair, in my opinion their main goal is to enable progression. The progression has always been to start an act or difficulty defensively, and as you gear up change out to a more offensive-oriented build as you can survive with better gear. The problem was, some defensive spells simply couldn't be changed out at any point in inferno.

Now that a "monster power" command (aka players 8) will be implemented, they need to keep that progression possible, so now that Inferno is no longer the end end end game, it doesn't need to be unbeatably hard for people who haven't spent hours and hours farming. There is now a greater range of progression steps where you can go from Defensively beating an act to Offensively farming it, etc. etc. Blizz is hoping that this allows for more offensively oriented builds to thrive on regular inferno, while still keeping the defensive builds required for higher "monster power"s, at least until extremely high paragon level and/or god-tier gear.

Last edited:
Well, so far their changes haven't let me down. I know that on my wizard, i'm toast if i drop energy armor and diamond skin. Pretty much every wizard has those, so i'm not too upset that they're trying to fix that.

I hear you though, they are doing things too slow, many many runes and moves still need buffs to make them compete.

Maybe i'm okay with it because i've finally come to terms with the fact that the game i bought was in Beta, and will be completed when the expansion comes out. It's painfully obvious in the changes they are making, and the fact that PVP still isn't in the game, etc.

It's a straight up buff for glass cannons that hardly rely on defensive abilities. I should be able to change from prasmatic to pinpoint, and hardly take a hit to survivability with at least a 7k dps gain. Monster power will be loads of fun as a glass cannon.

The more you relied on defensive abilities, the closer you willbe to breaking even with this change.

Do you guys think this will go live Tuesday? I'm wondering it there's enough internal testing for infernal machine and monster power, or if they just announced something that's been longer in development and they've been keeping it under wraps.

My guess is this Tuesday or in 3 weeks, not in two Tuesday's. That's MoP release date and with similar fan bases, I don't think they want to step on each others toes as much.

I really like these changes. I'll probably still keep energy armor, having even more survivability and the 5% crit is great. It would be amazing to be able to drop diamond skin though and have another offensive ability...having to constantly have 2 passive "skills" and another defensive skill really limits what you can do (familiar, energy armor, diamond skin).

Back