Diablo II Running Choppy

I got a Diablo II craving so I installed it and LoD the other day and it runs as it should for the most part but when there is a lot of action on screen it gets slow and choppy. Its still playable I guess but its really annoying and I definitely shouldnt be having any performance issues with this game considering my system. Anyone know what the problem could be? System is in my sig. Thanks.

That game just gets that way and I don't really think there is anyway to fix it. There's all sorts of troubles in accordance of performance of system and internet connection but it's just the way it is. How low does your framerate dip towards? You try typing "/fps" in the message box to check it out?

Try setting CPU affinity and running in compatibility mode. If neither fixes it, chances are there's nothing you can do about it.

what operating system. i wouldn't doubt you might run into a problem or two running vista

Ok. first thing I'd try is to downclock to default speeds on your cpu and see what happens. Reason is this:

I remember when I had a heavily overclocked system about a year ago, and every single game was stable, yet quake3 was stuttering. I downclocked a bit and it was smooth. Strange, but true. Those games are just a year apart. I'd try to go to defaults just to rule it out.

I tried setting the CPU affinity and it seems to be a little bit better. Not perfect but smooth enough to where it doesnt bother me so much. Thanks

Re-do the video test, when it offers to skip the test select that, then select Direct Draw. A little known fact is the game will almost always run choppy even on the best hardware if you use Direct 3D, an issue they've never fixed. Direct Draw fixes the issue.

Re-do the video test, when it offers to skip the test select that, then select Direct Draw. A little known fact is the game will almost always run choppy even on the best hardware if you use Direct 3D, an issue they've never fixed. Direct Draw fixes the issue.

I prefer the way it looks with direct 3d though. I think the last time I played Diablo II was before I had a dual core processor. I dont remember having any problems then...

I guess Ill just have to live with how it is.

It could be a problem with the multi core CPU. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time would not run on my Q6600 no matter what I did to it, and apparently it was a common problem.

Back