Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

I was annoyed enough at Gems, I did not need another "type" of gem sucking up even more space in my inventory.
They all look useless, anyway. Unfortunately they are not worth anything if you vendor them. May as well just drop them on the ground or ignore them entirely once you complete the season objective.

I found one gem that's half ass good. Oh and lets disable most of the waypoints in season play because FU.
On top of that - I only have tier 1 zone perks unlocked. Wtf, I thought they'd carry over entirely?

My main (Sorc), has at least 4 tiers unlocked in all the zone

On top of that - I only have tier 1 zone perks unlocked. Wtf, I thought they'd carry over entirely?

My main (Sorc), has at least 4 tiers unlocked in all the zone
I'm pretty sure they originally said not all your renown would carry over. You just wouldn't need to find Altars of Lilith again. They never said that your waypoints would carry over.

I'm pretty sure they originally said not all your renown would carry over. You just wouldn't need to find Altars of Lilith again. They never said that your waypoints would carry over.

@57:30

I don't give a shit about waypoints - I care about my additional skill points, potion cap, max orb, etc... I'm level one renowned on my season without those unlocks available... that's absolutely not what they said would happen.

Last edited:
Just wondering, after season 1 started, did you log on your main character at least once before making your season toon ? I think that was a requirement to actually get all the progression to apply to your season toon. (I haven't done it myself so I can't verify)

I actually decided not to, just so I'd have something to do. Should get to at least level 40 or so by completing the campaign.

Man starting a new toon is brutal when it comes to having zero movement speed buffs. Decided to try Necro for the season, still trying to figure out which route take with her.

I actually did campaign again as well. My eternal realm lvl 80 bone spear Necro was fun as hell. Not much left to do but grind to 100 but the nightmare dungeons get old and the helltides are broken. So I did a seasonal barbarian and already level 25 in the campaign. Only thing I missed with the Necro was a handful of side missions. I really liked the campaign so I'm cool with it. I even paid $10 for the seasonal extra stupid stuff.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Just wondering, after season 1 started, did you log on your main character at least once before making your season toon ? I think that was a requirement to actually get all the progression to apply to your season toon. (I haven't done it myself so I can't verify)

I didn't log in to any of my characters, but most things carried over. Whole map was explored, all Lilith statues found and waypoints to largest cities unlocked.

I didn't log in to any of my characters, but most things carried over. Whole map was explored, all Lilith statues found and waypoints to largest cities unlocked.
did your bonus potion caps carry over too? or your skill points, max orbs, bonus gold too?

Yes - I remembered seeing that last week somewhere (on Battlenet? or main menu?) that they recommended logging in first. Did that straight away. Even teleported a little too.

I can see some form of progression, as all first renowned tiers are unlocked. But that's it.

Mathematically, it makes sense because all of the dungeons, quests and strongholds have been reset, so the renown from them was reset too.

I had 3 tiers of renown unlocked and like a 1/3rd of the 4th one in the major areas. I thought it was supposed to be all? No biggie, I don't think you can use any paragon points until lvl 50 anyway. All of the major town portals were unlocked but not the smaller settlements or whatever.

copy paste summary

Sorcerer and Barbarian will be buffed in "the next few weeks."
There will be "substantial" increases to mob density in Helltides and Nightmare Dungeons.
In the next patch, there will be an addition stash tab, and the elixir stack size will be increased to 99. A dedicated Gems tab will come in Season 2.
Skill respec cost will be reduced by 40% to encourage switching builds.
There will be "adjustments" to make leveling 50-100 feel "less like a job." There are plans to add more variety to endgame content.
There will be more opportunities to obtain uber uniques in the future. The drop rate will be made a "little" bit more common over time.
Build loadouts are being "discussed," but are not currently on the roadmap.
There will be a way to find particular unique items and/or particular legendary aspects in season 2.
Damage reduction system (armor, resistances) will be "reworked" in season 2.
There will be more options to modify gear in the future.
Legendary drop chance will be buffed for loot goblins. There may be different loot goblin types in the future.
There is a hotfix that will be rolling out this afternoon that includes changes to NMDs. (bumping mob density? lowering difficulty?)

Yes - I remembered seeing that last week somewhere (on Battlenet? or main menu?) that they recommended logging in first. Did that straight away. Even teleported a little too.

I can see some form of progression, as all first renowned tiers are unlocked. But that's it.

Mathematically, it makes sense because all of the dungeons, quests and strongholds have been reset, so the renown from them was reset too.
Cool, cool

copy paste summary

Sorcerer and Barbarian will be buffed in "the next few weeks."
There will be "substantial" increases to mob density in Helltides and Nightmare Dungeons.
In the next patch, there will be an addition stash tab, and the elixir stack size will be increased to 99. A dedicated Gems tab will come in Season 2.
Skill respec cost will be reduced by 40% to encourage switching builds.
There will be "adjustments" to make leveling 50-100 feel "less like a job." There are plans to add more variety to endgame content.
There will be more opportunities to obtain uber uniques in the future. The drop rate will be made a "little" bit more common over time.
Build loadouts are being "discussed," but are not currently on the roadmap.
There will be a way to find particular unique items and/or particular legendary aspects in season 2.
Damage reduction system (armor, resistances) will be "reworked" in season 2.
There will be more options to modify gear in the future.
Legendary drop chance will be buffed for loot goblins. There may be different loot goblin types in the future.
There is a hotfix that will be rolling out this afternoon that includes changes to NMDs. (bumping mob density? lowering difficulty?)
I would imagine the random one-hit deaths from mobs in nightmare dungeons during their deathsplosions and when you're crowd-controlled is what they'll be fixing. I think that they'd want to take the time to balance mob density.

Doesn't seem like they explained the reasoning behind exiting the dungeon taking 2 more seconds. They also didn't explain why they believe their nerf to cooldown reduction will make it any less of a priority stat than it was before. If they don't want people taking CDR, then they need to globally reduce the cooldowns on every skill by at least 25%. The base cooldown timers are frankly insulting for an ARPG.

Forum post covering the Dev chat:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d...-stream-full-notes-no-rollback-of-patch/95457

"TLDR:

• Not walking back most nerfs from recent patch
  • Future patches will buff the weak classes that are underperforming (1.5 to 2 weeks)
  • Nerfing nightmare dungeons to match weaker characters (hotfix today)
  • Increasing mob density to increase fun
  • Fixing leveling speed to make it feel better"

Also, I note that now one can only post to the D4 forums if you own the game.

If you're wondering about your renown not carrying over;
  • Log in to your old character first. Then log into your new seasonal character
  • You will not be able to claim all region tiers, only the ones in tiers 1 and 2 (if you're starting on tier 2). You can claim the others once you've reached tiers 3 and 4
  • I maxed out all region tiers on my character. Once season started, I began with 6 skill points on my new character.

Remind me again whats the point of the Hearts? Everyone one I've gotten so far is absolute shit for any build worth a crap.

did your bonus potion caps carry over too? or your skill points, max orbs, bonus gold too?

They didn't immediately. But I was able to unlock the first 2 tiers for each region at around lvl 10 or something.
Maybe I just missed it in the beginning.
Tier 3, 4 and 5 are locked.

Remind me again whats the point of the Hearts? Everyone one I've gotten so far is absolute shit for any build worth a crap.
I dunno, the Necro hearts are amazing. Free corpse explosion/tendrils without having to spam or highlight it. Also free decrepify aura

I like them. I get three ranks of wolves, and another wolf appears after kills. I pull large amounts of enemies towards me when using an ultimate.

So at lvl 35 I'm having fun with my sorcerer. Can't say that I'm weak or something, and did a lvl 45 stronghold as lvl 34. Was a bit tough but I pulled it off after a few deaths (and that's with a glass canon spec lol, because I'm too stubborn to give up +18% damage).
One stronghold gives at least 50% xp even at lvl 35, so they are great source of xp. So far so good. I don't really care about anything after lvl 70 as I don't see the game having any content after 70 anyway.
I did notice however that some final season unlock requires you to level to 100, kill Uber Lilith, finish lvl 43 nightmare dungeon do a ton of pvp, etc. Lol, any of that shit ain't happening.

Lvl 45 Rogue... I did a couple hours yesterday on random stuff. The spawn rate out in the wild has become insane. I was at one part where the goatmen bastards were literally spawning out of thin air on top of me... out in the open wilds! All my character says now is "out of energy" or "I need time to do that / not ready yet". If more than 3 of anything charge me I have to throw traps and run. This plan doesn't work when you have mobs coming from all directions.

Tried to clear the Mariner's Refuge dungeon, the boss (drowned seahag) killed me 3 times in a row before I gave up, went back to town to repair and heal up, and went back and killed me a 4th time. Can't keep up with the swarms of minions and always out of energy. Just running for my life the whole time in circles trying to squeeze of a shot at the boss when I can. I have also noticed (and I guess this isn't new but I really noticed it on this dungeon boss) that when I hit my rapid fire attack, it just auto targets the nearest enemy to me, NOT the one I am aiming at (I am using gamepad, not sure if this matters). So I wind up wasting tons of energy on the minions even when I have a clear line of sight / shot to the boss. If I just use normal one shot attack (heartseeker) I can hit it, but just one doesn't do much damage.

Blizz has turned up the difficulty so much with these patches it's not fun to solo. I guess I have to start making rando friends to co-op the dungeons now. Sucks. Still in Act 1.

There is a large dependence upon gear. If you don't get the right drops or utilize synergies, it's going to get bumpy.

I found with my DW rogue (now level 65, I think) - I went for 100% offense stats for a long time, which worked fine at lower levels. Absurd damage, but - glass cannon. I now have barrier generation, and life on kill - and that works really well to ensure I can keep full-tilt offensive play going, which benefits the class. I can zip back and forth, it's super fun high speed play.

Also - a couple key uniques. Ex: I got the Word of Hakan amulet with this little delight:
1690136914925.png

Rain of Arrows now clears rooms of elites, with all the other imbuement synergies.

Played through the campaign and leveled Barbarian to 50. Have since uninstalled the game because it just doesn't feel "fun" to me. The pacing is too slow and plodding, the itemization is lacking and the game feels incomplete overall. Will likely revisit the game in a year or two. It desperately needs a Loot 2.0 like D3 or something similar to breathe some life into it. The game feels undercooked.

Played through the campaign and leveled Barbarian to 50. Have since uninstalled the game because it just doesn't feel "fun" to me. The pacing is too slow and plodding, the itemization is lacking and the game feels incomplete overall. Will likely revisit the game in a year or two. It desperately needs a Loot 2.0 like D3 or something similar to breathe some life into it. The game feels undercooked.
This is kinda where I'm at. This patch made my previously only somewhat fun character do about 1/3 as much damage which is making finishing the campaign a complete slog.

I jumped back into Diablo III where, even at torment 16, I have character's bouncing around with full screen attacks and killing monsters at an incredible rate, with drops that seem more relevant despite requiring pretty much perfect items for any power increase. That was fun.

Played a shadow/ce necro before season, now trying out blood lance with pets (no golem) in s1. So far so smooth at lvl 46. Legendary drops have been way slower which made it hard to find some lance affixes I needed till recently. I'm still far from optimized and still trying some things out. The more mobs the better though for sure with blood orbs everywhere the lances are flying all over and constant tendrils and pets keeps the mobs off me tree to target shoot what needs to die quicker. Single target bosses are fine also. It's a nice casual all around build. The only thing that wrecked me so far was the Butcher and a stronghold boss 10 levels higher when I was much weaker build still. I'll jump to WT3 tonight.

I'm not following any builds for my necro. Right now running full summons, hemorrhage, bone spear, bone storm and corpse tendrils. I have a heart that cast tendrils automatically which is great because it pulls the mobs in, stuns them, makes them vulnerable, bone spear shotgun, everything is dead. Finished cathedral at lvl 45, went to tier 3 and a helltide started soon as I did. Was fighting packs 13 levels higher, had to be careful but wasn't much of a problem. I'm guessing it will suck at higher tiers, but fun so far.

Managed to beat Cathedral of Light as lvl 41 sorc. Got lucky inside though an a legendary amulet with 2 hydras dropped for me, otherwise I'm not sure I would've killed the last boss.
Respecced to Hydra and kept Blizzard (because of -25% damage while standing in it legendary), Frost Armor, Deep Freeze and removed Glass Canon lol, but for that boss only. Targeted those skeleton artillery as soon as they spawned and just let hydras do the job on the boss, managed to kill him just as my potions expired. Died about 3 times before I got him (a couple of times near his death as I lost concentration).
The trash was actually easy as a frost sorc, even though the mobs were 14 levels higher than me. Never died.

Finally Tier 3 and no more lvl 14 noobs doing zero damage on the world boss :p
Still pissed off that lvl 30 items drop for me at lvl 40. Terrible when you vendor most items, even legendaries. It's why I gunned for T3, I wanted item upgrades as T2 is so pointless after lvl 35.

I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight.

Last edited:
This is kinda where I'm at. This patch made my previously only somewhat fun character do about 1/3 as much damage which is making finishing the campaign a complete slog.

I jumped back into Diablo III where, even at torment 16, I have character's bouncing around with full screen attacks and killing monsters at an incredible rate, with drops that seem more relevant despite requiring pretty much perfect items for any power increase. That was fun.

I think for me the game isn't satisfying in terms of character progression. In diablo 3 for example, practically every level up felt impactful with new skills being unlocked. D4 character progression simply feels uninspired. Even the loot doesn't feel all that exciting. I'm actually not fond of the unlocking of aspects in the dungeons as it also takes away some of the mystery and excitement of finding unique item skills. I get they were aiming to bring D4 back to it's D2 roots in a way, but they need to find that balance sweet spot. Somewhere between D2 and D3.

Along with that, the devs have said they wanted the gameplay to feel 'more weighty and impactful', but unfortunately it resulted in the game feeling slow and plodding. I understand this is largely due to the nature of the barbarian class but in saying that, D4 just feels "slow" in general. From a character progression standpoint, to these horrible grindy mechanics such as renown and the god awful collectathon 'Altars of Lilith'. On top of all this, the dungeons all feel so "samey".

For me, there are so many fundamental issues with D4, it will probably take quite the quantum shift to inspire me to come back to it.

I think for me the game isn't satisfying in terms of character progression. In diablo 3 for example, practically every level up felt impactful with new skills being unlocked. D4 character progression simply feels uninspired. Even the loot doesn't feel all that exciting. I'm actually not fond of the unlocking of aspects in the dungeons as it also takes away some of the mystery and excitement of finding unique item skills. I get they were aiming to bring D4 back to it's D2 roots in a way, but they need to find that balance sweet spot. Somewhere between D2 and D3.

Along with that, the devs have said they wanted the gameplay to feel 'more weighty and impactful', but unfortunately it resulted in the game feeling slow and plodding. I understand this is largely due to the nature of the barbarian class but in saying that, D4 just feels "slow" in general. From a character progression standpoint, to these horrible grindy mechanics such as renown and the god awful collectathon 'Altars of Lilith'. On top of all this, the dungeons all feel so "samey".

For me, there are so many fundamental issues with D4, it will probably take quite the quantum shift to inspire me to come back to it.
Kind of where I'm at with it too, I quit and don't plan on playing season 1 because I was so bored by the progression. Your character never really feels like it changes all that much once you get your legendary aspects for you build.

Kind of where I'm at with it too, I quit and don't plan on playing season 1 because I was so bored by the progression. Your character never really feels like it changes all that much once you get your legendary aspects for you build.

I've been playing season 1 a few hours each day and struggling to continue. It just isn't fun, sucks because I was pretty excited for the season start.

Maybe you guys need to approach it a bit more casually and without expectations.
I was called a troll here a few pages ago, but I think my approach to the game is valid. There is no end game after lvl 70.
I accepted that and am just playing because the game is fun until I hit the wall and need to do something to progress further, like needing to get to T3 no later than lvl 45. I think optimal level to get to T3 isn't 50+, but lvl 42 because that's when lowest lvl items drop in T3.
And I just treat lvl 70 as a final level and then either take a break or make an alt. I play about 1-3 hours per day, spread through the day (about an hour, max two per session).

Maybe you guys need to approach it a bit more casually and without expectations.
I was called a troll here a few pages ago, but I think my approach to the game is valid. There is no end game after lvl 70.
I accepted that and am just playing because the game is fun until I hit the wall and need to do something to progress further, like needing to get to T3 no later than lvl 45. I think optimal level to get to T3 isn't 50+, but lvl 42 because that's when lowest lvl items drop in T3.
And I just treat lvl 70 as a final level and then either take a break or make an alt. I play about 1-3 hours per day, spread through the day (about an hour, max two per session).
That would be fine if I could get to T3 at level 42.
I'm level 45, i'm still not done with the story, i've been both over-leveled for most of the story content and under-geared simultaneously for 20+ levels. It's been sloooooooow going.
I know part of my situation is that I have a very young child so playing a game that I can't pause is basically impossible, but it doesn't change the fact that my previous 1000+ hours of Diablo II and III were mostly quick, 15ish minute sessions where I felt that I accomplished quite a bit, even if it was just doing a boss run or clearing a rift and throwing away a ton of equipment. Compared to Diablo IV where I can play for 2-3 hours at a time and somehow feel weaker afterwards, not gain a single piece good loot, and then get hit with some sort of asinine restriction on stash, number of sidequests, what towns have what amenities, etc.
Maybe its better once I get to tier 3 or 4, but the fact that I can't be IN those tiers yet is part of the problem.
Also co-op with randoms is pretty much dumb luck. Previously I could create or join a game with at least some sort of vague goal and have people playing beside me.

Back