Did I buy a crappy PSU?

Eshelon

Weaksauce
Just put together a new system and I've read a lot about folks having PSU issues so I wanted some opinions on mine since I'm willing to go with a better one if that's likely my problem.

First the system:
Althon X2 4400+ OC'd to 2500Mhz atm
OCZ Platinum DDR 500 @ DDR 500 3-3-3-8
DFI LanParty Expert nF4 SLI-DR
HIS Radeon X1800XT

I have 2 HDD and 2 Optical Drives installed.

This is the PSU I got to run it. It doesn't have dual +12v rails but it seemed at the time it would do the job I had lined up. Perhaps it's not enough? I can run my system as is just fine, but I can't OC the video card at all. Maybe I'm using ATI Tool incorectly but when I try to find the max core rate it'll reboot my computer every time, as if it's sucking more power than my PSU can handle.

I would honestly say that is fine for a 1 card setup but for sli/crossfire it wouldn't cut it

might check the power supply section here for a better answer

thats a good quality PSU, it might not be able to do dual 1900xtx, or dual 7800GTX512's but it could defintly do one of the smaller dual set-ups and is more than over kill for your specs, no what seems to be the problem is the way ati tool does it clocks, it simply goes up and up till one of 2 things happen A- Artifact is found, or B- Computer crashes, in my case my comp crashes due to the video card WAYYYY before I get artifacts, and I'm using an antec 480watt trupower, and had 2 diffrent xt's in here for testing, both got diffrent results before crashing so I think I can safely say the rebooting is due to a too high oc, not a weak psu :)

that is a great power supply. there should be adjustment pots on the back to tweak the voltage for 3.3, 5.0, and 12v .

R1ckCa1n said:
that is a great power supply. there should be adjustment pots on the back to tweak the voltage for 3.3, 5.0, and 12v .
Nope, that's the Powerstream, he has the Modstream.

Borgschulze said:
Nope, that's the Powerstream, he has the Modstream.
still a good power supply. more than enough for what he has and needs.

Good deal guys, thanks for responses. Anyone have a link for a tutorial or other literature on working ATI Tool with the X1800XT? I've read in several posts about the voltage switching the card does between 2d and 3d and that ATI tool has to be set up special but I can't figure all that out. I need a good write-up.

Outstanding PSU. I did my research on the OCZ brands. I personally went to the 600w version, just in case I have the money to go to a high end SLI setup.

I did my research on the OCZ brands.

I can never trust OCZ after their "99% silver thermal compound" and "rebadging crappy ram and upping the voltage to make it faster speeds" rackets.

FaRKle0079 said:
I can never trust OCZ after their "99% silver thermal compound" and "rebadging crappy ram and upping the voltage to make it faster speeds" rackets.
Yeah, their RAM, well at least the budget stuff, is terrible, you know, mine runs better than rated speeds...

Back