Did I get a Dud 7700k? Update: 2/6/17 From dud to stud!!

Jayham

Gawd
So I even swapped my 6700k/Z170s + 16GB RAM for a 7700k+Z270E getting extremely disappointing results

Tried up to 1.4v for 5GHz Real Bench FAIL! Althogh completed a Time Spy bench successfully.

Ambient 22-24c

Running 4.8GHz 1.27v VDROP of .006v to .038v max Real Bench temps 85c after just a benchmark run. Played Mafia III GoW4, Dishonored 2 for approx 10-12hrs now and see gaming temps up to 74-75c Never saw gaming temps over 65-66c with my 6700kv @4.7 1.345v with same cooler.

Changed paste from Antec Formula 7 to AS5, tried running RAM @2133 and BCLK OC'ing no difference.

Thinking about delidding it but will it actually help in getting 5GHz or just really unlucky with this one?

So annoyed right now.

I know no CPU OC is guaranteed, I guess I've been pretty lucky with them up until this one. (Actually have had one of my 6600k's would not go past 4.4GHz no matter the voltage I threw at it) I'll def check out that follow up article.

Can't really put more voltage into this 7700k not without better cooling possibly delidding. 1.4v 5GHz hit 96c in RB before crash.

What is the MAX "safe" temp and voltage with Krabby Lake anyway?

Actually have had one of my 6600k's would not go past 4.4GHz no matter the voltage I threw at it

This is a slight consolation for me as my 4770K will do 4.2ghz at near stock volts but will not do 4.3 without reaching 1.3+...

Such is life.

To get 4.7GHz on my 6700K it needs 1.44V, custom water cooling with a 2x140mm rad and delidding.
And my bloody core is curved. It leaks paste very fast resulting in 1 or 2 (of the 4) cores getting load temps 15 to 20C higher than the rest within days of adding new paste.
Luckily Gelid Extreme leaks a lot slower and hangs around better, bringing it down to +9C on 1 core after a week and seems to have stabilised there.

I know no CPU OC is guaranteed, I guess I've been pretty lucky with them up until this one. (Actually have had one of my 6600k's would not go past 4.4GHz no matter the voltage I threw at it) I'll def check out that follow up article.

Can't really put more voltage into this 7700k not without better cooling possibly delidding. 1.4v 5GHz hit 96c in RB before crash.

What is the MAX "safe" temp and voltage with Krabby Lake anyway?
I think its the same, 100c throttles and 105 is shutdown. and 1.35v on good air, a bit more under water

You shouldn't have to take a 7700K past 1.35v. It probably won't do it if you have to go beyond that. The key on these motherboards seems to be dialing in CPU vCore and the load-line calibration. Its pretty simple and only about 20% of the 7700K's seem to be able to hit 5.0GHz. We've had several that can't.

You shouldn't have to take a 7700K past 1.35v. It probably won't do it if you have to go beyond that. The key on these motherboards seems to be dialing in CPU vCore and the load-line calibration. Its pretty simple and only about 20% of the 7700K's seem to be able to hit 5.0GHz. We've had several that can't.

Well if I'm honest this mostly makes me a sad panda.. BUT I did order a tube of Coollaboratory Liquid Pro should be here Wednesday or Thursday at this point I don't think it'll hurt to give it a shot.

I just built a 7600K system for someone.
Despite low temps on none AVX (mid 50s) it fails Prime95 on either of the first 2 tests if clocked to 4.7GHz unless I put voltage over 1.4V which is too hot on AVX.
4.6GHz max is its best at +90mV.

Op disable HT, check max overclock, smile.

Despite low temps on none AVX (mid 50s) it fails Prime95 on either of the first 2 tests if clocked to 4.7GHz unless I put voltage over 1.4V which is too hot on AVX.

If you disable HT, there isn't any point to owning a 7700K over a 7600K. Some CPUs simply will not run stable using AVX over a certain clock speed no matter what voltages you use. The one I've got on my test bench now won't do anything over 4.7GHz with AVX despite the temperatures being fine. It simply isn't stable. I've tried it on three motherboards with the same effect.

If you disable HT, there isn't any point to owning a 7700K over a 7600K

Agree.

As an FYI I did disable HT set vcore to 1.345v (did not fine tune vcore, so could go lower) and ran 2 synthetic tests + a game.

P95 v26.6 Large FFT 15 min 88c max
Real Bench Stress 15 min 81c max
Dishonored 2 1 Hr game play 78c

The IPC Review, yes.
So why the swap you ask then?
Picked up a Corsair Dominator Plat 4x8GB 3000MHz for $120 on Jan. 14 CL deal and 2 weeks later the 7700k/270E was a zero out of pocket swap. So I thought I'd take my chances and try my luck for the biggest side grade ever just to attempt to run 5GHz. Most would think that'd be a hassle to swap from A to B but I think I sometimes enjoy playing with PC hardware more so then playing PC games these days. MOAR POWAH, lol!

At first I was like: Dude, that is just nuts and a waste of money. Now that I see this, you were able to find a better deal than I ever have, good job. I agree with the building and messing with hardware stuff.

Try different multipliers and blck combinations.

There is no harm in trying, but chances are it won't do anything. When these CPU's hit their limit, it seems like a hard wall that's pretty evident. My test CPU doesn't do more than 4.8GHz no matter how much time you spend on it or how many settings you tweak. It is what it is.

If you disable HT, there isn't any point to owning a 7700K over a 7600K. Some CPUs simply will not run stable using AVX over a certain clock speed no matter what voltages you use. The one I've got on my test bench now won't do anything over 4.7GHz with AVX despite the temperatures being fine. It simply isn't stable. I've tried it on three motherboards with the same effect.
Lol, it was tongue in cheek. I own an i7 too.
I'm sure he would know better anyway

I've seen a lot of people buy CPUs with Hyperthreading only to disable it for overclocking.

Makes me feel better about my 7600k. I thought I'd be able to hit 5ghz with the improvements to Kaby Lake, but I can only get into the OS at 4.9ghz, crashes during gaming or serious load, and is stable at 4.8ghz with 1.4v. But I am bummed, when I saw the article showing a 7600k @ 5ghz 1.35v I felt like I had a dud. Thinking about ordering another from Amazon and keeping whichever is better.

Makes me feel better about my 7600k. I thought I'd be able to hit 5ghz with the improvements to Kaby Lake, but I can only get into the OS at 4.9ghz, crashes during gaming or serious load, and is stable at 4.8ghz with 1.4v. But I am bummed, when I saw the article showing a 7600k @ 5ghz 1.35v I felt like I had a dud. Thinking about ordering another from Amazon and keeping whichever is better.
Are you by any chance in the UK?
No PC guys I know round here have had a decent clocker since before Sandybridge.
They are either average or worse.

My last good clocker was a Q9705, before that was the Athlon XP-M 2500+.
I have had a few Athlon 64s, Athlon 64x2s, E8400, 2500K, 6600K, 6700K all average.

Are you by any chance in the UK?
No PC guys I know round here have had a decent clocker since before Sandybridge.
They are either average or worse.

My last good clocker was a Q9705, before that was the Athlon XP-M 2500+.
I have had a few Athlon 64s, Athlon 64x2s, E8400, 2500K, 6600K, 6700K all average.

I'm from the US, and my last build was an i 760, OC'd from 2.8ghz to a whopping 4.2ghz, I wasn't expecting a 1.4ghz OC but 1.2 would have been nice, just to hit that elusive 5 ghz. The test sample made it seem easy. But even if I crank the voltage to 1.5, I can't get it to boot at 5.0ghz. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do, it doesn't matter what my RAM runs at, 4.9 is the boot limit and 4.8 is the stable limit. Board is a Asus Z170 Pro-Gaming Aura.

thats not cool. stick with your "dud" ffs. "doesn't overclock as well as I expected" is not a valid return reason.

Keep in mind that only around 20% of these chips can hit 5.0GHz. Generally you shouldn't need more than 1.35v to achieve whatever the CPU can max out at. If you have to go beyond that, it will likely overwhelm any air or AIO cooling solutions.

I've seen a lot of people buy CPUs with Hyperthreading only to disable it for overclocking.
Well, you get the extra L2 cache for whatever that's worth.
A little tired of a decade of screwing around the ~4GHz range.

Well, you get the extra L2 cache for whatever that's worth.
A little tired of a decade of screwing around the ~4GHz range.

Yes you do but I don't think that would be worth the money. That's just my own personal opinion. That's not something I've ever looked into or tested specifically.

Holy WTF!?!?!

I can't believe this! How is this even possible?

From dud to stud!

My liquid metal came in much sooner than anticipated, so on with the delid...

Stock 7700K

Delid 7700k

Went from running 4.8GHz 1.27v Real Bench temps 85c after just a benchmark run (stable), and 1.4v 5GHz hit 96c in RB before crash...

To:
Max 65c 5GHz 1.26v in BIOS 15 minutes RB Stress.

Last edited:
Congrats! 5Ghz @ 1.26v is amazing even for a 7700k! You often don't see delids and lowering temps add much to the OC but yours is an example where it clearly helped. Wow.

Thanks!
Will be 100% shooting for 5.1GHz+ next.

For some reason 3000MHz XMP won't boot anymore.... before had 1.36v for 3K on RAM same setting doesn't work, now max I can get is 2900MHz 1.35v.

I've had good luck taking these CPU's to DDR4 3600MHz speeds in most cases. Occasionally I've been unable to hit that mark for whatever reason. I am not sure if its the CPU or the motherboard.

give that crucial ram a bit more juice and set the speed/timings manually, that should help.

I've had good luck taking these CPU's to DDR4 3600MHz speeds in most cases. Occasionally I've been unable to hit that mark for whatever reason. I am not sure if its the CPU or the motherboard.

Could be because I lowered some voltages and up the cache frequency. Will change some settings around.

Last edited:
still, give it more juice. especial now that its corsair. ever set of corsair(and crucial) ive ever used needed extra juice. kyle, myself and others around here have talked aboot it before.

Yes you do but I don't think that would be worth the money. That's just my own personal opinion. That's not something I've ever looked into or tested specifically.
I'm of the same opinion, but some folks are convinced it's the extra 2MB of L2 that's responsible for a large portion of the performance boost going from a non-HT -> HT part.

still, give it more juice. especial now that its corsair. ever set of corsair(and crucial) ive ever used needed extra juice. kyle, myself and others around here have talked aboot it before.

Will do, for now I'm working on oc'ing CPU 5.3GHz 1.345v boot into Windows fails halfway into CB bench.
5.2GHz 1.345v pass CB and currently running RB 15 min Stress..

Back