Did I just get ripped off by Dell?

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
Inspiron 6400/E1505
Intel Core Duo processor T2500 (2MB/2GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WSXGA+
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 HyperMemory,
100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron 6400/E1505
SoundBlaster Advanced Audio Intergrated
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR)
85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

Price $1078.00 (Before tax)

That's a nice system for a good price, especially the CPU, XP Pro and hard drive. Was that with a coupon? It's $680 less than the instant discount price given at dell.com right now.

Stripped down Core Duo 1.66GHz 1505 laptops were going for $450 or so less on sale a couple of weeks ago. All the extras you listed (faster CPU, upgraded screen, more memory, upgraded video, upgraded hard drive, upgraded battery, XP Pro) are definitely worth the difference.

I don't need bluetooth, the larger battery or a 100GB hard drive, but I would have bought something similar otherwise.

pxc said:
That's a nice system for a good price, especially the CPU, XP Pro and hard drive. Was that with a coupon? It's $680 less than the instant discount price given at dell.com right now.

Stripped down Core Duo 1.66GHz 1505 laptops were going for $450 or so less on sale a couple of weeks ago. All the extras you listed (faster CPU, upgraded screen, more memory, upgraded video, upgraded hard drive, upgraded battery, XP Pro) are definitely worth the difference.

I don't need bluetooth, the larger battery or a 100GB hard drive, but I would have bought something similar otherwise.

Tis' XP home, not pro.

I dont think this is worth over 1K. I used the Dell Coupon but still, its too expensive. I tried to get the price down some more but would not honor it. I feel that this should be a sub 1K laptop.

Its a cheap inspiron 6400/E1505
Windows Home Edition
1GB (512 x 2)
Crappy ( Mid low) Video card
Non X-FI Sound card
Non UXGA

I bought it anyways because I need it for my work.

XLeezardx said:
I dont think this is worth over 1K. I used the Dell Coupon but still, its too expensive. I tried to get the price down some more but would not honor it. I feel that this should be a sub 1K laptop.

Windows Home Edition
1GB (512 x 2)
Non X-FI Sound card
Non UXGA

You spent 1k, and got:

The second fastest laptop CPU
A good midrange laptop card
A nice high res screen
The best laptop hard drive

Sounds like a good machine for work.

XLeezardx said:

Windows Home Edition
1GB (512 x 2)
Non X-FI Sound card
Non UXGA

Crappy vid card? I'm still on an Intel Extreme setup on my inspiron, lol...That does everything I need it to, I just surf the net and thats it...As far as your's goes, for the price you got a badass laptop that should've been in the $1500 to $1700 range for $1078. You got a good deal...And that graphics card is badass, not crappy, it can run any and everyone of the games you would play on that thing, maybe not speced out, but it will play them...I'm stuck with the extreme graphics and it will barely run Enemy Territory at low settings...Basically what I'm trying to say is you got a damn good deal...Don't fret over it...

XLeezardx said:
The CPU and hard drive alone are worth $570. You can't buy a barebones laptop with x1400-speed video for $500, and that still doesn't even include the larger battery, OS, memory, wireless, BT or DVD burner. $1078 for that laptop is a steal.

Why do you want faster video or a X-Fi if you need it for work? :confused: There's not a mobile X-Fi yet anyways and the X1400 is the top video card available for that laptop. The larger models (17") have better video card options.

The best deal on a "good video card" laptop I ever bought was an Inspiron 9300/512MB/17" WSXGA+/40GB 5400RPM/combo/6 cell/P-M 1.6A/go 6800 256MB for $1130 (after $750 off coupon and tax) last year. You're getting a lot more hardware than that.

If you planned on playing games on that, I hope you bought a mouse..Otherwise you just got a pretty fast laptop for general computing. Small things will sometimes cost more too, so sure you can buy an uber-desktop, but thats not what this is..

damn thats a great deal. how the hell did you get it for only $1078? i also ordered the e1505 yesterday with ONLY the screen & vid card upgrade and that cost ~$800 before tax.. and thats with stacking 2 coupons ($350, $35)...

Check out what their selling on the shelves at Best Buy and tell me again if you think you got a good deal.

I saw a sales guy take a dump in a box and tag it for $1500 there so around $1000 for what you got is spectacular.

JMO

that is a pretty good deal...but with dell you could have gotten a nicer system for only a couple hunderd more bucks using a 750 off 2k coupon

the x1400 is really the only component that I couldn't live with

Spetsnaz Op said:
that is a pretty good deal...but with dell you could have gotten a nicer system for only a couple hunderd more bucks using a 750 off 2k coupon

the x1400 is really the only component that I couldn't live with
according to your sig, you have a radeon 9600. the x1400 will wipe the floor with your 9600.

XLeezardx said:

Windows Home Edition
1GB (512 x 2)
Non X-FI Sound card
Non UXGA

Are you kidding? Sub $1000? Have some cheese with your whine. Poor baby.

You're the one who upgraded the hard drive and the ram at Dell. Don't whine about them ripping you off when you chose to upgrade the parts with them. Never. EVER. upgrade in the cart. Buy parts elsewhere.

That video card is far from crappy, too.

mwarps said:
Never. EVER. upgrade in the cart. Buy parts elsewhere.

That video card is far from crappy, too.

:D yeah it always amaze me how ppl get lured in with Dell's base price and end up getting $500+ worth of 'upgrades' that can be had elsewhere for 1/3 the cost.. pretty much the only thing id upgrade is the screen and the vid card, since you can't conviently get those aftermarket..

mwarps said:
You're the one who upgraded the hard drive and the ram at Dell. Don't whine about them ripping you off when you chose to upgrade the parts with them. Never. EVER. upgrade in the cart. Buy parts elsewhere.
Sometimes you have to upgrade in the cart to use a coupon code. So it's bad advice to say "Never. EVER. upgrade in the cart."

I'll say: never, ever buy a Dell without a huge discount coupon (or a deal in the outlet... that's where I got my current laptop). ;) Don't underestimate the power of a 30-40% off or $750 off coupon code, which both always have minimum purchase amounts. He got $560 off the current instant discount price and that's still a good deal, better than a $750 off coupon overall.

lithium726 said:
according to your sig, you have a radeon 9600. the x1400 will wipe the floor with your 9600.

Yeah and I bought it three years ago..........do I really have to explain that technology progresses and that something worth buying at one time might not be worth buying in the future? This is a pretty core concept in the world of computer technology...I'm sure it would wipe the floor with my ati rage3d card too.

I'm in the market for a notebook right now and for my needs I'll at least have to get a x1600 or equilivant. Hence my statement :eek:

honestly....

Spetsnaz Op said:
Yeah and I bought it three years ago..........do I really have to explain that technology progresses and that something worth buying at one time might not be worth buying in the future? This is a pretty core concept in the world of computer technology...
Yeah, no shit. My point was that if you live with and can stand the 9600, the x1400 would be just fine. If you wanted more power, thats just fine too. Must I explain up that technology progressed and the x1400 is a much better peice of silicon than the 9600 ever was? Not to mention, the x1400 or x1300 is just fine for lots of people (myself included)?

I'm in the market for a notebook right now and for my needs I'll at least have to get a x1600 or equilivant. Hence my statement :eek:
That's just fine. Your sig didn't really represent your needs in this case. My statement was more aimed towards those who say "its a budget chip so it MUST be bad..."

lithium726 said:
Yeah, no shit. My point was that if you live with and can stand the 9600, the x1400 would be just fine. If you wanted more power, thats just fine too. Must I bring up that technology progressed and the x1400 is a much better peice of silicon than the 9600 ever was?

That's just fine. Your sig didn't really represent your needs. My statement was more aimed towards those who say "its a budget chip so it MUST be bad..."

Lol your post was a direct quote from my post, a poor way to direct a statement towards a large audience that doesn't include the poster. I said that I wouldn't live with a x1400 bc of my needs - I didn't say that "ALL BUDGET CHIPS SUCK". If you want to have an x1400 mobile vs. 9600 pro desktop chip war go ahead but I don't see the point. You want to know why I don't have an X800XT with dual core? I'm freakin 19 and a decently hard-working student with some priorities besides gaming(and it's paid off too, top 25 here I come :D). My computer is also obviously at the end of it's gaming cycle (maybe a little overdue) but to be honest it has lasted me. Now imagine 3 years ago someone making a thread about getting a lappy with a radeon 9000 vs. a 9600.......

Personally I really can't "live" with this 9600 pro for another 6 months. It's long overdue for replacement. With that said it can handle FEAR with some tweaking :) Don't assume that bc it's in my sig that I'm totally happy with it.

Spetsnaz Op said:
You want to know why I don't have an X800XT with dual core? I'm freakin 19 and a decently hard-working student with some priorities besides gaming(and it's paid off too, top 25 here I come :D).
I'm 19, I'll be a junior by december and have a 3.5 GPA ;) we're in the same spot :p I hear you though, I'm selling off all my stuff because well, gaming just aint as fun as it used to be.

"cant stand" and "not happy with" are completly different things and I misinterpreted you; for that I apologize.

I'm not happy with the fact that my laptop has a MR7500, but I can stand it

lithium726 said:
I'm 19, I'll be a junior by december and have a 3.5 GPA ;) we're in the same spot :p I hear you though, I'm selling off all my stuff because well, gaming just aint as fun as it used to be.

good luck next year

Back