Did I miss something about a new Xbox360?

C.Norris

Weaksauce
I'm doing some research on lexisnexis and I came across the following quote:

"LAS VEGAS - The world's biggest electronics expo opens Sunday (local time), with some 2,700 exhibitors and 140,000 visitors gathering at the Las Vegas Convention Center.

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to give an opening speech on its 40th edition. Beside the new Windows Vista operating system for PCs, Gates is promoting the Zune digital music player and a new version of Xbox 360 gaming console.

The new Xbox 360 will perform as an IPTV set-top box, which will enable users to download movies and TV shows through Internet network and watch them on TV."

This was from the jan 8th 2007 Korea Times publication written by Cho Jin-seo.

This caught my attention but it does not sound like anything new for us... what do you think?

it can already do that can't it? maybe its referring to the 65nm chip? or the rumours of the bigger HDD and HDMI?

From Gates interview after CES:
He said there ought to be a great "win win" in new business models for the Xbox 360 and IPTV. Asked if the Xbox 360's small 20-gigabyte hard disk was a problem, he said that the Xbox 360 didn't need anything more than that to serve as a set-top. That's because with IPTV, so much is stored on the server and you can access it so quickly that you don't really care about storing things.

"We don't have to change the Xbox 360 at all," he said, holding a glass of red wine.

Thats what I thought too Frosty. Either the Korean Dude was smoking crack or something else is going on. Has the 360 been released in Korea?

It wasn't wine, it was childrens' blood.

After all, he is evil.

Huh?

Bill Gates has given more money to charity than most of the richest men who have ever existed have ever owned.

The guy is not a bad guy.

Plus Childrens blood is way too cheap for bill gates. It was more than likely dodo blood.

There probably is a new 360 coming though, theres been rumors of Larger Hard Drives and HDMI ports floating around too long for there not to be some truth to them.

The new 360 will include a 100GB HD & HMDI ports.

From what I understand, there will be an IPTV X-Box 360 version and an upgrade available for IPTV on regular X-Box 360's.

You don't need a hard drive for IPTV but You will need some sort of storage for DVR functions.

From Wikipedia search of IPTV:

"It has now been confirmed that Microsoft's Xbox 360 videogame console, will as of 2007, be able to recieve IPTV signals. Thus allowing you to watch Television over Xbox LIVE."

Live and IPTV are different services. The TV signal won't be over Live. It will be your X-Box accessing features provided by your IPTV company.

The new 360 will include a 100GB HD & HMDI ports.

...in 2009/2010.

>>From what I understand, there will be an IPTV X-Box 360 version and an upgrade available for IPTV on regular X-Box 360's.

You don't need a hard drive for IPTV but You will need some sort of storage for DVR functions.<<

That doesn't make any sense...especially since the current 360 is ready to go...and, there hasn't been a mention of 'DVR' functions, so doubtful that will be available.

http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/17507.html

So regular Xbox 360 will work with IPTV just fine. The only issue is that its only available in the few areas where IPTV is available. And you are at the mercy of your IPTV provider as to any capabilities your Xbox may have, if any. Think Comcast Motorola boxes vs. the total capabilities of the Motorola boxes as manufactured (restricted crap vs. an awesome underlying platform).

So the whole Xbox 360 DVR and IPTV hype up is deflated because it seems to be worthless for the vast majority of owners.

Ah, I see. It's part of the MS IPTV/Foundation software package. Well, since MS has come out and said 'no changes needed' (more space, etc), I'd be curious to see if they offer the DVR portion of that package to the 360 owners. Again...
>>Asked if the Xbox 360's small 20-gigabyte hard disk was a problem, he said that the Xbox 360 didn't need anything more than that to serve as a set-top. That's because with IPTV, so much is stored on the server and you can access it so quickly that you don't really care about storing things.<<

But, as the guy below (well, actually it's above now) me mentions...it's all pretty much a mute point...IPTV is so limited the majority of folks shouldn't bother getting excited, or worried about it.

Back