Did it again... Sigh

dr_dirtnap

Limp Gawd
Well, I just got off the phone a client who wanted to upgrade their Dell P4 1.5 machine, so I check the prices out. So I call him back and say I can upgrade his P4 1.5 256mb Ram, to a P4 2.6 768mb Ram, and he says do it. So I start browsing around Newegg, and I keep looking at a XP-M 2600. I try to restrain myself, even knowing that I have a tbird 1gz with 512mb Hyperx PC4000 that is just sitting there with a A7N8X-Deluxe with no video card. Check out my ebay auction, and won GForce 5200 ultra for $35. This must be a sign. So I place the XPM2600 in my basket... Browse around for a little bit. Remove it. Browse some more. Add a HSF to my basket, maybe some north/south bridge coolers. Go to my cart again.. Remove them. Read the [H]ard Forums for a while... Go back to the egg, add everything back to my cart, maybe a vantec tornado or two, and buy.

Hi, my name is Marty, and I am a hardware addict.

There comes a time in everyone's life where you are forced to come to terms with certain aspects of your personality that are flawed. Thinking that I was perfect you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon the realization that I was a Hardware Addict. You see my 1 GHZ Tbird just wasn't cutting it at folding Gromacs work units, or so I thought the minute I heard of the availability of the AMD XP-M 2600 processor. "I don't need that 27" TV. I hardly watch TV anyway, and I could stand to lose some weight, so I won't need groceries this month." If this type of reasoning sounds all to familiar, I implore you, before you begin hocking your possessions and loved ones, to do as I did and drop by a local H.A.A.(Hardware Addicts Anonymous) meeting in your area.

-Modified exerpt from gotapex.com

(All together) Hi Marty!!

I actually had a two-month chip. I was quite proud of it. It’s gone now.

Have a cup of coffee.

Starting over, on Monday.

BillR (Addict for life) ;)

Needed a floppy drive and cd/dvd drive to checkout one of my boxen which had become unstable.
Now I've 4 floppy drives and 6 cd/dvd drives built into my boxen but..........
To get at them means switching a boxen OFF while I pull the drives.
So I've now a set of new drives.

It was bad memory ( +1,000 errors in Memtest ) so I've also got a newstick of memory today.
Running Memtest on the boxen now.
Will soon be back to Folding.

Luck............ :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

ya know, i was just browsing around and hey, everyone needs more fans for something right. They are variable speed and all, who could resist. (the extra ram was monday so it doesn't count, right). Oh yeah Hiya Marty, glad to see you could make it.

T-3

I thought it was the:
Hardware Addicts Hoarders Anonymous (HaHa).
Can anyone resurrect the original 12 step program ?
Also - I'm addicted to peace, love, and bettering mankind.
Addiction is not necessarily bad.

You forgot the big ones:

Sex
Drugs
Rock N Roll ;)

pffffffffft...

You want sympathy from this crowd ?

I asked for help a few threads back and all I heard was BUY BUY BUY.

Hi...my name is relic....and i'm a DCoholic.

relic said:
Hi...my name is relic....and i'm a DCoholic.

Doesn't it kind of go hand in hand? There is no other reason someone would have 20+ boxen in their house.

I have three computers. One of them is a Duron 1.0Ghz with a 2GB Laptop hard drive in it. Other than folding and making noise, the most significant thing it has done recently was help save a hard drive that had it's file system corrupted. And that's only because I didn't want to attach the drive to my main computer.

Oh, and it's not fast enough for me.

Ever find yourself shopping for a replacement CD-ROM or floppy or something and you come home with 1/2 a new computer? Yeah, that's happened to me...

Buckus said:
Ever find yourself shopping for a replacement CD-ROM or floppy or something and you come home with 1/2 a new computer? Yeah, that's happened to me...

About once a month....Honestly.

dr_dirtnap said:
Doesn't it kind of go hand in hand? There is no other reason someone would have 20+ boxen in their house.

Killer lan parties are the only other reason I can think of, but that's out because what happens if a box is trying to send a wu to Stanford and the lan is clogged up with frag packets? I guess you could institute hourly gaming stoppages to let the wu's find their home in the ether but that'd piss off the neanderthals who only want to play games. So don't game, just fold. :rolleyes: :)

AtomicMoose said:
nah, i just get my reach-throughs from him
:eek: :D

Is that what we decided, reach-throughs instead of reach-arounds or reach-unders? So how's that working out? :)

I see that the traditional "Moose seks hijack" is well established.
Well done men!

:D

pageian said:
Is that what we decided, reach-throughs instead of reach-arounds or reach-unders? So how's that working out? :)
reach-through sounds more fun, so that's what I picked
:cool:

The most important part of this Support Group is:

You CAN drink!

Doesn't get much better then that does it? :D

I'm thinking maybe I need to open a comptuer store with a bar....ya, that's it ;)

BillR said:
The most important part of this Support Group is:

You CAN drink!

Doesn't get much better then that does it? :D

I'm thinking maybe I need to open a comptuer store with a bar....ya, that's it ;)

Yeah, a Bar-LAN, mixing alcohol, expensive electronics, billiard tables, exhaust-deaf grouchy bikers and short-attention-span techno-deaf 21-yr olds that twitch a lot. I thought about this for maybe 15 seconds, then decided that the local police on speed-dial might be a Good Thing. :D

And to keep some semblance of thread integrity, I recently bought two rackmount cases. Now, instead of integrating what I have into the cases, I'm scoping out the [H]ardforum and Newegg for stuff to put in them. Yes, I am a junkie.

I gotta score a XP-Mobile 2500+, man! Got spare change? :eek:

Hi, I'm MWarpS, and I'm addicted to scotch, hardware and DC.

Is it wrong that in one hand I have a mouse, the other a neat of Balvenie Doublewood, one monitor a newegg browser and the other this forum?

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?!?!?!?

you'll not find much support here mwarps......... minus the scotch, that's basically what I do all the time...... newegg on one (sometimes two or three) browser..... and one on here....... :D

Keep on Folding!!

mwarps said:
Hi, I'm MWarpS, and I'm addicted to scotch, hardware and DC.

Is it wrong that in one hand I have a mouse, the other a neat of Balvenie Doublewood, one monitor a newegg browser and the other this forum?

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?!?!?!?

Just what the hell do you want help with? You sound perfectly normal to me. ;)

That was my thought...

I'm not seeing the problem... except its a funding flow issue... which is, of course, a side effect of this life. Broke, drunk and happy :D

I slipped and ordered a dual layer dvd burner, some fans and some more ram. FEELS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-3

Yeah, I ordered one too. I ordered the Black NEC one... I am thinking of getting that free Soyo MB, since I just got a free P4 1.5 ghz. I can always upgrade the processor later. Free Mobo + Free Processor .... Gotta order some ram and a HD.

dr_dirtnap said:
Yeah, I ordered one too. I ordered the Black NEC one... I am thinking of getting that free Soyo MB, since I just got a free P4 1.5 ghz. I can always upgrade the processor later. Free Mobo + Free Processor .... Gotta order some ram and a HD.

And you really think you can place that order and “settle” for the “free” cpu??

One big Gromacs…you will be back on line for that sweet overclockable 2.6 or 2.8 and you know it.

You are not allowed to lie in here! :D

I got the black NEC too. Now I just need to be convinced that I will fold faster with a better graphics card, my AIW 9700 pro just aint cuttin it with doom3. No, I can quit whenever I want. I just dont want to right now.

T-3

Got my XP-M 2600 today.... All I have to say is WOW. Right out of the box, the thing is doing 12.5 x 200FSB @ 1.75v. I will let it fold for a while, make sure it is stable and try to push it a bit when I get back home.

I almost bought the mobile 3000. I had the money just for it... but was talked into the 35w 2400. I've been taking my time with the tweeks and am at 12x200 at 1.67v with a nice low temp still... like 40-45ish depending on ambients.

Now I need to find an all in one board that will do 200fsb so I can get this 2000+ on the job.

...wanders off to Newegg.

I got the 45watt 2600 XPM. At 1.75v, It is still running 47ish, but the temperature down here is 27ish. So, I say that's not too bad. I got the 2600 since I wasn't too confident in the Memory/MB that I have for it.... I liked the idea of having the higher multiplier.

Running stable so far, it's folding considerably faster than my A64 3000 at 2.25 (10x225). Thought the A64 might keep up, but I guess Ghz is really where it's at.

dr_dirtnap said:
Well, I just got off the phone a client who wanted to upgrade their Dell P4 1.5 machine, so I check the prices out. So I call him back and say I can upgrade his P4 1.5 256mb Ram, to a P4 2.6 768mb Ram, and he says do it. So I start browsing around Newegg, and I keep looking at a XP-M 2600. I try to restrain myself, even knowing that I have a tbird 1gz with 512mb Hyperx PC4000 that is just sitting there with a A7N8X-Deluxe with no video card. Check out my ebay auction, and won GForce 5200 ultra for $35. This must be a sign. So I place the XPM2600 in my basket... Browse around for a little bit. Remove it. Browse some more. Add a HSF to my basket, maybe some north/south bridge coolers. Go to my cart again.. Remove them. Read the [H]ard Forums for a while... Go back to the egg, add everything back to my cart, maybe a vantec tornado or two, and buy.

Hi, my name is Marty, and I am a hardware addict.

There comes a time in everyone's life where you are forced to come to terms with certain aspects of your personality that are flawed. Thinking that I was perfect you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon the realization that I was a Hardware Addict. You see my 1 GHZ Tbird just wasn't cutting it at folding Gromacs work units, or so I thought the minute I heard of the availability of the AMD XP-M 2600 processor. "I don't need that 27" TV. I hardly watch TV anyway, and I could stand to lose some weight, so I won't need groceries this month." If this type of reasoning sounds all to familiar, I implore you, before you begin hocking your possessions and loved ones, to do as I did and drop by a local H.A.A.(Hardware Addicts Anonymous) meeting in your area.

-Modified exerpt from gotapex.com

ha! ha! you live in NEPA! just look at it this way, you need to warm your entire house somehow this upcoming winter.

You know, my wife says that my problem is that I keep falling ONTO the wagon. You know, the big square white one that says "FedEX" on the side! :D

But seriously though. I am in need of advice on getting into a dually AMD rig in a relatively inexpensive manner. My P4 3.2 main fol... umm main computer has been on my desk for almost a year with no changes. (Other than T-3's suggested upgrade to a 6800GT for Doom3). Any thoughts on board/CPU combinations for ~$500ish? Or should I start by barking up a different tree altogether?

Localan said:
But seriously though. I am in need of advice on getting into a dually AMD rig in a relatively inexpensive manner. My P4 3.2 main fol... umm main computer has been on my desk for almost a year with no changes. (Other than T-3's suggested upgrade to a 6800GT for Doom3). Any thoughts on board/CPU combinations for ~$500ish? Or should I start by barking up a different tree altogether?

Dual AMD MPs are still very competitive $$ and electricity wise.
A refurb dual socket A motherboard from newegg and a pair of 2800+ MPs will come in under $500 with a new mobo it'll be around $540 for CPUs & mobo.

A pair of XP-Ms modded to MPs will be a bit cheaper, but that requires CPU modding.
(Easy if you ask me, but a lot of people are uncomfortable painting and cutting bridges)

You can keep an eye out at the eggs refurb section and wait for dual board to show up there then get some mobile chips and pin mod them and your up and running for a lot less than 500. or you can try the fs/ft here and over at 2cpu for a used rig. I like both the asus and gigabyte boards. dont have any msi(yet). You can go new I guess, and still come in under the 500 if you already have some of the other parts laying around. Make sure you get a good psu for it.

T-3

Back