Did my DS3 die, or am I missing something?

feek

Limp Gawd
So I flashed to F11 today, but forgot to reset to the defaults. I had forgotten once before, and had little if any problems (not sure if problem was caused by the flash, or heat as I had also just switched to Vista). I had "fixed" it by resetting the CMOS.

Anyway, so today it rebooted fine even after not resetting to the defaults. I ran Orthos, though, and it ran into an error. No biggie, could be a number of things. I also read that temperatures were reported higher, and that was certainly true. So I reset to the defualts, no overclock and ran orthos for about 30 minutes without problems.

Temperatures were still too high (or I guess they have always been) so I took this as an oppurtunity to clean out the dust from the syste, which there was a lot of. I finish up, and it boots up without a problem, and temperatures are at what they were before this BIOS flash, so it must have made a huge difference. So I reboot to turn my overclock back on, and it freezes during booting.

In the post it reads out the processor, clock speed, etc, everything is normal above the memory section. It says:
Memory Te

And that's it. I couldn't get past it. So I take out the video card and reset the CMOS. Now it goes to the default Gigabyte image and just freezes. After this I tried taking out the battery, reseating and trying different memory combos, unplugging hard drives, etc. It all results in it just stopping. And of course, I can't get into the BIOS setup.

Interestingly, while I was writing this I left it on that Gigabyte image and after probably 5 minutes it said like "POST error!" and had a couple options. I didn't have time to read it all, but it selected last known good configuration after a few seconds and tried to boot back up. It brought back my old settings, without the Gigabyte image and again froze at "Memory Te".

Is this shit broked or have others seen similar things?

Whoa, right after I clicked post it continued booting from "Memory Te". But it tried to read the floppy drive and is giving the DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER error. (edit: duh, because hard drives are unplugged).

I reset it and it again stopped at "Memory Te"...
so is this just booting really slowly, I guess? :(

I dont know :/ It's weird that it worked fine the first two boots.

So like I said, now it seems as though it's just an incredibly long post. I tried reflashing it, and it didn't make a difference. I'm going to try F10 after I successfully boot into windows.
Edit: it gets to the point where that green bar shows up for the initial loading of windows... aha! it just clicked. i reattatched my hard drive mp3 player, which wasn't attatched before. that thing has always given me trouble, even on my old system. it would hault the post sometimes, or slow down the booting of windows. will try rebooting without it

Ok, yeah, it was definitely my mp3 player. Anyone have any idea what causes that? Like I said, it did this with my old computer, too.

It's an Iaudio m3. Basically a 20gb toshiba hard drive.

Ok, yeah, it was definitely my mp3 player. Anyone have any idea what causes that? Like I said, it did this with my old computer, too.

It's an Iaudio m3. Basically a 20gb toshiba hard drive.

I believe the computer is trying to find out what kind of device it is, and if it can boot from it.

Have had similar on my gf's A64 system with a dying caddy. It would hang the machine just after post. Disconnect it and it was fine. Plug it in and it would hang (would hang windows too!)

I had an issue with windows marking a drive as "dirty" (Set to run CHKDSK at boot) and no matter what i did i couldnt boot into windows with it turned on until i pulled the drive out of the enclosure then hooked it up inside and let windows run chkdsk on it. After that everything was fine. Maybe thats your issue but not too helpfull as i doubt your going to be ripping it apart and hooking the drive up.

Back