Did my hard drive just die?

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
Okay.. i have a weird problem.

My system has been running stable, no problems up until today.

Decided to clean out all the dust in my PC and disassembled everything.

Connected everything back up together (all power, etc.)

Turned it back on, and I am met with "Disk boot failure, please enter system disk and press enter".

I regret not noting which sata ports went into where because it seems like my mobo (abit ip35 pro) is pretty finicky when it comes to what goes into where.

With my raptor (OS) in SATA1, SATADVD drive in SATA2, 500GB in SATA3 and 320GB in SATA4, I can get into BIOS and i am met with that error code.

Along with the combination of SATADVD drive in SATA1, raptor (os) in SATA2, 320GB in SATA3 and 500GB in SATA4.

The other two combinations: (raptor, cddrive, 320gb, 500gb) & (cddrive, raptor, 500, 320) both are met with this problem: it freezes at this error code as given by my mobo: "75: Detect & install all IDE devices devices, HDD, LS120, ZIP, cdrom, ..." and I can't get into my BIOS.

Back to the other two working combinations.. the most bizarre thing is that when looking at all my SATA ports in BIOS, I cannot see the 320gb drive :confused: :( Don't understand it at all.

Right now I am testing out all the different boot priority combinations and I'll get back on that.. Any tips? Is my raptor dead? Is my 320gb dead? Just bizarre since i was using this rig less than 5 hours ago without a single problem..

check your SATA cables and make absolutely sure they are all they way on their connectors at the drive end. Every onces in a while I"ll have that error in a random system and that's the cause.

Yep.. all sata leads are connected, along with all power is going to the drives.. my drives are being detected in BIOS sans the 320gb.

off topic question: electric tape lining the cables won't affect anything.. right?

Yep.. all sata leads are connected, along with all power is going to the drives.. my drives are being detected in BIOS sans the 320gb.

off topic question: electric tape lining the cables won't affect anything.. right?

Not as long as it isn't covering any contacts.

Also, make sure to unplug and re-plug the cables on each drive to reseat them... if you haven't already that is.

Not as long as it isn't covering any contacts.

Also, make sure to unplug and re-plug the cables on each drive to reseat them... if you haven't already that is.

Yep, done that quite a lot of times.

I've also used a different power source just to make sure its not my PSU.. still doesn't work.

I'm at my wits end here.. damn you "HARD DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK PRESS ENTER" :(

You can get into bios correct? or just to bios screen and then error? If you can get into bios then double check hard drive boot priority and regarding bios not seeing your 320gb HD, try different/new sata connector. I have this happen more than once.

Another option is to remove all HD minus OS drive to get to bios. Might require CMOS reset/battery removal then once to bios, load optimized default settings. GL.

You can get into bios correct? or just to bios screen and then error? If you can get into bios then double check hard drive boot priority and regarding bios not seeing your 320gb HD, try different/new sata connector. I have this happen more than once.

Another option is to remove all HD minus OS drive to get to bios. Might require CMOS reset/battery removal then once to bios, load optimized default settings. GL.

Yes I can get into BIOS.. ONLY with those two configurations. Everything else just freezes at the error code: "75: Detect & Install all IDE devices: HDD, LS120, ZIP, CDROM, ..." on my POST check thing on my mobo whenever I put my 500GB in SATA3 and 320GB in SATA4. I am able to POST when I switch them around.. but any other way, and my computer freezes.

I've played around with the boot priority.. no go. I came up with all the different combinations and still doesn't work.

I also tested this out with different modular sata power cable to my PSU and still no go.

In any case, I took my hard drives to my brother's house a few hours ago and test it there just to make sure its not my SATA cables or my HD's just are FUBAR'd.

I get there and we plug everything in, and everything is working perfectly. I see my raptor has all the files on it and my 320gb is identified without any problems. ( i also copy paste some files over)

I come home, still the same problem persists.

Finally, I end up reinstalling vista on my raptor, and all my old files got saved in windows.old (thank god).

This is where shit gets fucked... my previous rig blew vista away in terms of how fast it used to boot in and operate tasks. Now, it takes at least 5 mins to boot into vista along with a single task taking forever (viewing properties, opening up computer folder, etc.)

My 500GB drive is viewable as D: but nothing more.. cannot open, cannot see that its a 500GB drive, etc. My 320GB still does not appear anywhere at all.

I am at wits end trying to figure out what exactly is the problem... I'm beginning to think its the mobo at fault here..

I apologize a LOT for making you all read that but I am in desperate need for help and figured you would want as much info as possible.

/sigh.

I would have to say that you motherboard is failing. I'd get it replaced before it starts corrupting data on your drives.

Yeah I tried again this morning and in the OS, everything is still buggy. My 2 other HD's are missing in OS and in BIOS and I don't want to risk corrupting them.

Looking at buying a DFI Dark T2RS mobo now.. -_-

Back