Did not ship out next day buyer threatens refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdragonxx

Weaksauce
I made a deal with <removed> last night for my Gigabyte HD5870. He sent me the money and asked me when I was going to ship it out. I said tomorrow, figuring I should be able to slide by the P.O. and drop it off, as I already boxed it up purchased a label for the item. Now I get a PM asking if I was able to drop it off today and now because I wasn't able to get it out he wants a refund.

As some people saw, I had many people to choose from in the thread to sell the card to for dirt cheap. I guess I chose the wrong one. I'm in a dire situation right now having spent part of the funds for the postage and for my replacement motherboard.

I could have been dishonest with the buyer and said that I already dropped it off, but I just wanted to be clear and honest about the situation, and I promised to drop it off on my way out tomorrow. Am I out of line?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a refund for your shipping label iirc, especially if you did it via paypal.

Give him his refund, take your shipping label back. Move on.

But it takes two weeks to get it back, and is purely an inconvenience. Plus he wants the money gifted back to him, which is a loss for me in fees.

I can understand the buyers hesitation. You have no heatware... only been a member for 19 days and you sold hardware at a pretty decent discount. These are all things that would make me uncomfortable.

In addition you said you would ship it next day and failed to do so.

Is a refund called for? Probably not.

Personally if I were in your position I would refund whatever you have left after the mobo and postage. Send the GPU out and when the buyer gets he can pay you the rest.

But it takes two weeks to get it back, and is purely an inconvenience. Plus he wants the money gifted back to him, which is a loss for me in fees.

You can click "refund" though paypal and all the money will be returned.

Not at all. I'm sure that people aren't paying for next-day service considering how cheap some of this hardware is selling for, in my opinion the buyer is being a little out of line here. You did your part and you were honest, at the very least.

Edit: Although we are considering a lack of heat and minimal reputation. I would make extra sure that it goes out tomorrow, with a faster shipping option if possible to make up somewhat for shipping it slightly late.

I mentioned in the sale thread that I do not have any heat and that I would be willing to provide personal information which I did. I think he knew that going into the sale. I have every intention of shipping the item out I have a few things sold on here I need to ship out.

I can understand the buyers hesitation. You have no heatware... only been a member for 19 days and you sold hardware at a pretty decent discount. These are all things that would make me uncomfortable.

In addition you said you would ship it next day and failed to do so.

Is a refund called for? Probably not.

Personally if I were in your position I would refund whatever you have left after the mobo and postage. Send the GPU out and when the buyer gets he can pay you the rest.

You can click "refund" though paypal and all the money will be returned.
They now charge for returns.

* Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

Refund Fee. Section 8.5 (Additional Fees) is amended to add a new refund fee. If you refund a Purchase Payment, we will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee. The buyer’s Account will be credited with the full Purchase Payment amount and the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee will be deducted from your Account in addition to the amount of the refunded payment. The Fixed Fee will depend on the currency of the Purchase Payment and is listed in 8.4(c).

I say send out card ASAP with tracking and be done with it. He didn't pay for next day shipping did he? In which case, 2 day shipping is just as good.

I certainly wouldnt refund him via gift. If anything tell him you can ship it out tomorrow morning or you can do a partial refund of the remaining funds you have in paypal account and the rest at your earliest convinence.

out of curiosity did you tell him you would ship it next day before he sent payment or after? if after I would ship it out tomorrow morning and tell him it will be faster for him to get the card than it would be for you to be able to transfer money into your account and fully refund him.

imho its a bit extreme to always expect next day shipping, but its also a bit extreme to buy a relatively high value item from someone with no heat and less than a month on the forums.

<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
xxdragonxx said:
<removed> said:
Hey there.

If you're willing to ship first, I'll take the card.

<removed>
I'm selling it so cheap because my Asrock p55 extreme vrm's just blew up, common for this board I hear. Anyways, I'm willing to provide personal information or any other details. I have a few trades on EVGA and here going on ATM as well. If we can negotiate on this let me know.

Hmm. Ok. Let's make that 170$ sharp then.

Give me your Paypal or Amazon Payments.
[email protected] is my paypal.
is my cell number. if you need anything else let me know

Wired. Thanks. When do you plan to send it out?
tomorrow

Alrighty. If you want you can send 10$ back, I wouldn't mind :D
I got like 7 pms in 10 mins lol i had to close the thread.

Did you send it out yet?
Your tracking should be on paypal.

Well thats just the electronic notification you sent me yesterday, doesn't mean it was shipped :)

So let me know please if you shipped it out.
Oh ok I'm going to take it on my way out tomorrow.

You said you were shipping it out today, hmm. So now we have a bit of a problem.

I'm gonna ask you send back the 170$ in full in the next 3 hours.

[email protected]
What? You never required that I have it out the next day if you absolutely needed me to you should have told me beforehand. Sometimes things happen, and I wasn't able to get to the P.O. before it closed. The card has already been boxed and postage purchased.

Thats ok you can still send out tomorrow. But right now I need 170$ in my account. You have less than 3 hours now.
So there is no way to reconcile this situation?

Nope, sorry. There is only so much I can help you.

2.5 hours left, after that you should know the routine :)

If you want me to refund you what I have minus the shipping, then when that returns I can do that.

It's pretty clear you don't want to cooperate, so I think this conversation is over.

Now I cannot even communicate with him and is threatening me.

I say send out card ASAP with tracking and be done with it. He didn't pay for next day shipping did he? In which case, 2 day shipping is just as good.

Agreed. Some guys wanna pick up hardware cheap and except top-notch overnight service. I think it's a little ridiculous.

* Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

Refund Fee. Section 8.5 (Additional Fees) is amended to add a new refund fee. If you refund a Purchase Payment, we will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee. The buyer’s Account will be credited with the full Purchase Payment amount and the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee will be deducted from your Account in addition to the amount of the refunded payment. The Fixed Fee will depend on the currency of the Purchase Payment and is listed in 8.4(c).

isn't it only 30cents? That's what I was able to gather.

I think he's trying to troll you personally, that's the most ridiculous handling of this kind of situation I've seen. Not sure what to make of this....

Ship it out tomorrow and call it a day, it's already paid for at this point. I think the buyer is in the wrong because he made no clear indication that he was in a hurry. If I was buying, I would have made it perfectly clear that it would be best if the card went out ASAP, and probably would have compensated you for your trouble provided you got it out ASAP as promised, but that's not the case in this situation at all, he's not even trying to be friendly about it.

Agreed. Some guys wanna pick up hardware cheap and except top-notch overnight service. I think it's a little ridiculous.

Well he has the power to suck the money out of my paypal and I don't know what I can do to stop that.

The fees they take out for themselves used to be refunded. Now they keep it basically.

the buyer gets back everything they paid. you get charged 30cents so its no big deal.

also reading that PM convo its seems the buyer is being pretty ridiculous.

Well he has the power to suck the money out of my paypal and I don't know what I can do to stop that.

Well the card hasn't shipped, so you haven't lost anything if the only money in your paypal is what he paid you, right?

Yeah, i think its pretty clear that <removed> is being a little pussy.
Stop being a pussy <removed>, it only makes you appear more of a faggot than you probably are ;)

Hmm, looks like he is going to be getting a lot of gay pr0n newsletters and spam sent to his email :)

The point remains that this is a huge inconvenience and I'm losing my postage money and fees. Wish a mod could interject here.

Ship the card, provide tracking and insurance..
Deal is done..

if you refund, you get screwed, twice (one on teh sale and 2 for the fees)
If you ship, Buyer can cry about the extra day, just make sure to cover your own ass by getting a tracking # with signature and insurance..

Not rocket science.. You didnt explicitly say it WILL be shipped the next day, but that it was likely or "planned".. Finish the deal, and seriously, if the buyer leaves negative HEAT for that, the buyer is a jackass and should be temp banned..

Actually, I take back what I said earlier. I would refund the money and not ship. Resell the card on a totally new transaction and new buyer. Something here doesn't feel right here by reading the PMs. You said you had so many offers so just follow up on those.

The point remains that this is a huge inconvenience and I'm losing my postage money and fees. Wish a mod could interject here.

I'd be willing to bet one of your other potential buyers would be willing to pick it up for a tiny bit more than the original asking price, this should cover your troubles somewhat, no?

And if you do decide to sell it to someone else, I'd check their references first to make sure you're not dealing with a complete asshole :).

But whatever you do, don't continue to deal with this guy, my best advice and $0.02. Just refund and find a new buyer.

There is not any insurance because I bought the label. Can i buy insurance at the post office seperately?

Yeah, something is off there. He sounds like an evil genius giving an ultimatum with the "2.5 hours left" bs. I would just refund him and try to recoup the funds with either raising the price a bit or another sale. Definitely not gonna deal with that guy in the future...

There is not any insurance because I bought the label. Can i buy insurance at the post office seperately?

Yes, but the best advice here so far is to refund and try a new buyer for a slightly higher price. You're asking for trouble if you decide to actually ship it to this guy.

Well I have the money minus the shipping, so I don't know really. Only way is if I get someone to buy it now then just refund him and wait for my shipping money ot come back

That sounds like the best course of action. I would reopen your thread, or contact one of the other buyers that spoke to you about it immediately and try to see if they are still interested.

Look at it this way.

He cries to paypal, your screwed.
You shipped it your screwed
You refund the money, you lose a few bucks.

Is a shipping label really worth losing a 200 video card for? I think not.

Well I have the money minus the shipping, so I don't know really. Only way is if I get someone to buy it now then just refund him and wait for my shipping money ot come back

As long as the next buyer gets their item, and <removed> gets his refund, all should be well.

We aren't the trade police, we only enforce the forum rules. You need to work this out with your buyer.

Getting advice here is fine, so I'll keep this thread open as long as it remains on-topic and civil.

Just give the guy a refund, take a small loss there and try to sell it for a bit more to make up those fees. The buyer sounds like a complete ass and I wouldn't let him have the card for that cheap. Let someone else buy it that would appreciate it. I know I wouldn't cry if I bought something and they didn't ship out next day, even if they said they would. I'd be fine with 2, so long as they kept me updated.

Just give him the refund so you don't lose $170 and/or a $200 video card.

Thats what I'm doing right now. Thanks guys. There is a Gigabyte HD5870 for $170 in the trade forum.

If you bought the label on paypal you can cancel the shipping label and you should get a refund for it. I think you have 48 hours to do it though.

Best bet is to Refund seriously because even if you ship it he seems like the kind of gu who might just call paypal and get Refunded anyways wich you will lose.

Its not worth the trouble OP or a loss

Thats what I'm doing right now. Thanks guys. There is a Gigabyte HD5870 for $170 in the trade forum.

I'm sure it's worth a bit more than that, if it helps in terms of recovering what you potentially lost in fees.

I would NOT ship unless there is Tracking and Signature confirmation at this point.
Buyer sounds like a troll at this point even though you are a new user here.

Like someone above mentioned, something doesnt feel right here !!!
So be save dont ship and eat the fees before you loose alot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back