Die-Hard AMD Overclocker defects to Intel and needs guidance.

Quicksilver

Limp Gawd
So I've been OC'ing AMD almost exclusively for years. My one excption was a 2.4c Northwood that I got to 3.3 stable on water. And I sold that shortly after reaching it's top speed. I currently have a 144 opty that will hit 2.8 on water. I have a Barton Mobile 2400 that will hit an unbelievable 2.8 on chilled water

After reading this article on $130 PentiumD's hitting 4.1GHz I just had to see for myself what all the noise was about. So I promptly orderd one, and it's on it's way.

Here's the problem: I have no socket 775 motherboard, I have no DDR2, I have no spare PCI-E Vid card, and the CPU should be here on Friday. I haven't paid attention to Intel MOBO's since the Abit IC7-MAX3 came out which I bought.

I already have three computers and I don't really need another one, but I need to get this CPU up to 4GHz. So I need a motherboard and memory. I will be running the CPU on water.

The theme of this machine will be *CHEAP* . I need the cheapest motherbaord available that has decent overclocking features. EPoX comes to mind. I'll be searching online today at work but could sombody please give me a recommendation for a cheap motherboard that had decent overclocking features?

Any 945 mobo will do the trick, the 955x boards can be had for around ~100$ like the abit AW8. You can also use generic valueram like ddr2-533 or 667 aswell because since this is a 533fsb cpu, you wont be doing much over 200fsb, and thats a stock speed- so any value 533 ram will work just fine.

Don't even worry about the RAM, anything you buy will gaurantee you 4GHz (since the processor has a 20x mutiplier, you only need 200MHz RAM and DDR2 starts at 266MHz).

Same thing for the motherboard, any motherboard advertising itself as a 1066MHz FSB will gaurantee you 4GHz (Intel buses are quad-pumped, 1066MHz actually = 266MHz).

I'm pretty sure that all the good overclocks were done on that 945 ASUS board (I think it's the P5LD2 or something).

Be careful with open box at newegg. They do not test or even check these items. Some have gotten brand new still sealed mobos, while others get bare board with burn marks on them. I'm serious.

I just bought one last week. Came with absolutely nothing, but works perfectly fine.

im interested in this as well. but can u explain how this works?? im not used to ddr2. i dont understand this quad pump stuff and ddr677 ddr 800 ddr 1066. all i know is how the amd system works. ddr400 = 200x what ever multiplier.

the ram is still double rate, the FSB is quad rate. IE- P-D 805 is 533FSB. So 533/4 = 133. 133x2 = DDR2-266. DDR2 mobos use 1:2 or 2:3 dividers so 133 FSB on a 1:2 = DDR2-533.

o that is so cool so you dont need expensive ram. so whats hte point have having higher than ddr 667 ? and how would you be 1:1? or is there no point in being 1:1

tvdang7 said:
o that is so cool so you dont need expensive ram.

Yep

so whats hte point have having higher than ddr 667 ? and how would you be 1:1? or is there no point in being 1:1

None and on 1:1 you could push for the lowest timings , 400/533 3:2:2:4 for FSB 800/1066.
Generally 1:2 , 2:3 or 3:5 are used more often.

Get the Intel Bad Axe 975 (rev 304) motherboard, so you can upgrade to Conroe down the road. If not I'd get an Asus 945 chipset motherboard for about $100.

And the Intel motherboards have been acheiving decent overclocks lately with their newer overclocking BIOS options.

945 chipsets don't overclock as well as 955 or 975 chipsets. I'd also recommend this ECS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135225

It's cheap, runs real nice. from what i've seen, the benchmarks show it does just as good as an ASUS P5WD2 for about 100 bucks less, lol. That or go the Abit AW8 (max or normal) if you don't feel secure with an Nforce chipset or you don't like that board.

Back