Diff. Between Barton and thouroughbred?

CmaN3

Limp Gawd
This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between a Barton core and a Thoroughbred core?? I assume the barton is faster right?? I was just wondering if i should just save money and go with a thoroughbred instead of a barton.

The Barton's have more onboard Cache which does make some difference in performance at the same clock speed.

One more thing though - The bartons run at a slower clock speed at the same rating. Take the 2600's for example. 2600 Tbred runs at 2.133ghz and the Barton 2600 runs at 2.083 or something like that.

Yea, i know. Same thing with the a64. Barton 2800+ runs at the same speed as the a64 3000+. I wonder why they do that? Maybe jsut to confuse people.

Yes, they run at the same speed, yet the a64 runs MUCH faster. The main reason for this is the onboard memory controller and small architechtural improvements.

The Thoroughbred has a 256 kB L2 cache. The Barton has 512 kB of cache. The extra 256 kB of L2 is good for a 1-5% performance increase--that's it. As for the Athlon 64, it's a completely different beast.

Instead of comparing model numbers, you should compare benchmarks if you really want to compare performance between processor models. The naming system is messy and inconsistent. It fails as a general, across-the-board performance metric, as it well should. I know it's tedious, but comparing benchmarks is the only way to really know how the processors compare with each other.

Back