Difference between Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe onboard and....

Volucris

Gawd
a card such as the X-fi Extreme Music.
The mobo has:
AI Audio (8-channel Audio)
A8N-SLI has eight channels of audio output with Coaxial and optical S/PDIF connector designed to maximize your auditory experience. AI Audio also provides "Jack Sensing" and "UAJ" functions. "Jack Sensing" automatically detects and notifies user of any inappropriate connection. "UAJ" function enables both input and output functions each jacks, thus eliminates the confusion of Line-in, Line-out and Mic jacks once and for all!
I want to know if $120 is worth a difference if there is one. I'll be using Seinnheiser HD280's with it.

Volucris said:
a card such as the X-fi Extreme Music.
The mobo has:
I want to know if $120 is worth a difference if there is one. I'll be using Seinnheiser HD280's with it.

What are the specs on that onboard sound and what do you plan to use it for?
If for games, the X-Fi is the better choice hands down...all cards factored in.
If for music, then you need the specs of the DAC's ect to compare...

Terra - Also depends on your speakers and your ears...

Terra said:
What are the specs on that onboard sound and what do you plan to use it for?
If for games, the X-Fi is the better choice hands down...all cards factored in.
If for music, then you need the specs of the DAC's ect to compare...

Terra - Also depends on your speakers and your ears...
I'll be gaming some, movies a lot, music a lot.
I still have excellent ears and my speakers are some Logitech 2.1's that sound great. I'll be using the Sennhieser HD280's most the time though.
If you can recommend some good speakers under $200, I'd be thankful.

The onboard sound I have now is 16 bit Realtek ALC850 HD Audio. It's clear, but I know there is more.

Yes, there is a huge difference in sound and effects quality. The X-Fi is by far leaps and bounds better.

Well I compared the audio of my Creative Zen Vision: M with the same headphones and song to what my onboard did. The creative sounded so much better even on some cheap sony studiomonitors. I would imagine the audio quality of the new Creative Zen Vision: M would be very close to that of an X-Fi ExtremeMusic card.

ZipZoomFly has the X-Fi ExtremeMusic for $109 and then it has a $40 rebate after that. So I'll pick up that and the Sennheiser HD280's.

This reminds me of me, I have the premium version motherboard to you and had asked this question as well a month ago. I found that it is worth getting the X-Fi xtrememusic card as i did. I got a good deal on ebay as well. Plus i noticed a big difference in sound, especially when playing doom 3. Also that it doesnt use your processor as the card has its own processor.

If you have the money i would recommend you go for it.

AY786 said:
This reminds me of me, I have the premium version motherboard to you and had asked this question as well a month ago. I found that it is worth getting the X-Fi xtrememusic card as i did. I got a good deal on ebay as well. Plus i noticed a big difference in sound, especially when playing doom 3. Also that it doesnt use your processor as the card has its own processor.

If you have the money i would recommend you go for it.
Oh I have the money. I'm going to put about $300 into some new audio equipment. Like a new hobby.

Back