difference between Canon S4xx and A8x

vamp

Limp Gawd
I'm torn between either purchasing the Canon S410 or the Powershot A85. Both are 4 megapixel, and similarly priced.

S410: very compact, uses lithium ion battery
A85: AA / rechargable AA's, larger size, stronger flash??

I'm interested to know if anyone knows the difference in image quality between the two. If they're about the same, I'm going A85 because it's slightly cheaper and my hands are a little large anyways.

Edit:

Bump, I'm going with the A85. Larger screen, longer battery life, more manual controls, bigger size for my manly hands :) .

vamp said:
Bump, I'm going with the A85. Larger screen, longer battery life, more manual controls, bigger size for my manly hands :) .

Good choice. Probably SLIGHTLY better noise performance too, but I'm just guessing on that one.

KevC said:
Good choice. Probably SLIGHTLY better noise performance too, but I'm just guessing on that one.
The A85 is better with noise, but even it has some noise problems, says BB Gun anyway.

Yeah, sold the A85 to my Mom, got the A95 instead. More pixels, less pixel density on the sensor.

Happier overall with the camera than with the A85 - but the A95 tends to have a bit too little contrast, and shades the images a bit too much towards the blue end of the spectrum. I'm frequently having to change the color temp and do a bit of contrast enhancement on my images.

Better on the noise performance though, and since color temp and contrast/sharpness are fixable with imaging programs much more readily than camera noise, I'll live with it.

BB

vamp said:
I'm interested to know if anyone knows the difference in image quality between the two.

To answer your question (perhaps a little too late), the S410 has the better image quality.

I Got S410 its pretty good camera. However only flaw i found with it is the battery life.
I now bought 2 batteries =D
So i don;t run out so fast when doing lots of extensive photographing.

Back