Different memory timing reading from different sources. Which one is right?

Chowder Head

Limp Gawd
Let's try this again, lol. I tried making this thread before but hopefully this time it goes through. :D

Anyway, I'm finally overclocking my RAM and have been following eclipse's memory guide all the way through. I haven't touched the voltage yet, I'm just seeing what the lowest timings I can get before it crashes with the use of my bootable memtest.

So I keep knocking the timing down and I find myself wondering why it hasn't crashed yet. So far, I have my memory sticks down to 2-2-2-6 on stock voltage. So I boot back up into Windows and load up CPU-Z to vertify but that tells me the settings are only at 3-4-4-8. I double check my BIOS to make sure I saved it and it still says I have 2-2-2-6 for the memory timings.

Any ideas why I'm not getting the same reading? What reading should I follow? Did I forget to enable something or maybe even do something wrong? I don't have any ideas so any responses from anyone would be greatly appreciated, thank you. And FWIW, the rig I'm overclocking is in my sig.

Usually CPU-z gets the timings right. Some bioses don't.

You could try using Everest to confirm your timings. Also run some memory bandwidth benchmarks with Everest and if they don't change with different bios timings then obviously there is a problem with your motherboard. Make sure you are using the latest bios with your motherboard. If not then you'll have to flash it to the most recent bios which is usually available from manufacturers websites.

Back