Different x800 xl cards??

swy81

n00b
I was looking at various reviews for the ATI Radeon x800 xl and I'm curious because every pic of the x800 xl seems to be slightly different.

This is the one I have.
radeon-x800xl.jpg

However, on another site for the same ATI Radeon x800 xl this pic shows
imageview.php

Were there more than one ATI Radeon branded version of this card???

Juice - It's just you. The x800xl isn't very big. Smaller than a 6800 card and smaller than a GF4 TI card.

For one thing, the two cards in those pics are different bus types also. The pic with the blank hsf top is AGP, the other is PCI-E. Which would explain some of the other differences too. the external power adapter isn't needed on PCI-E but some mfr's decided to put it on anyway. It can be modded on with minimal work also if it's missing. The copper hsf is better than the crappy one that ATI puts on there (I have the crap version).

edit: actually, I was referencing the PCI-E version of the card for size. I haven't seen the AGP version firsthand.

nst6563 said:
Juice - It's just you. The x800xl isn't very big. Smaller than a 6800 card and smaller than a GF4 TI card.

For one thing, the two cards in those pics are different bus types also. The pic with the blank hsf top is AGP, the other is PCI-E. Which would explain some of the other differences too. the external power adapter isn't needed on PCI-E but some mfr's decided to put it on anyway. It can be modded on with minimal work also if it's missing. The copper hsf is better than the crappy one that ATI puts on there (I have the crap version).

edit: actually, I was referencing the PCI-E version of the card for size. I haven't seen the AGP version firsthand.

So the real big difference is the blank silver one is the agp while the one with the picture is pci-e??

nah, it's just whatever the mfr decided to put on the card really. I have the PCI-E version with the el-cheapo plain top hsf. It seems that ATI branded cards came (well...most of them anyway) with a plain hsf while the companies like Sapphire, MSI, etc, decided to liven it up a little with a different hsf, a design on the hsf, or they added the power connector to the PCI-E version. Just about all the x800xl cards I've seen have the reference PCB though, so there isn't really a huge difference between any of them I don't think.

Some cards came with faster memory, but from what I've seen, the faster memory didn't overclock any better than the slower. I think the biggest decision of what x800xl card to get would be the bus type and the software bundle (and warranty if that matters)...and of course price.

Back