Differnent core temps

latief75

Limp Gawd
i used to have a 6400. both cores idled at exactly the same temp....i deceided to send the cpu back and went for a 6600....there was a 3 degree difference between the two cores... i thought maybe i have a faulty cpu heat spreader so i sent it back for a replacment, and now my replacement 6600 has the same issue, around 2 degree difference....is it my cooler? could i have a faulty heatpipe in my heatsink somehwere? i have the rosewill zx3 .......

this sucks .:mad:

A 2C to 3C difference between cores is quite normal behavior for a heat pipe cooler.

Send me your E6600 and I will test it with my OEM heatsink and send it back to you if all checks out well. :D

i used to have a 6400. both cores idled at exactly the same temp....i deceided to send the cpu back and went for a 6600....there was a 3 degree difference between the two cores... i thought maybe i have a faulty cpu heat spreader so i sent it back for a replacment, and now my replacement 6600 has the same issue, around 2 degree difference....is it my cooler? could i have a faulty heatpipe in my heatsink somehwere? i have the rosewill zx3 .......

this sucks .:mad:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This is one of the funnier posts on the forum.

Just send it to latief75 or me and we'll test it out for you.;)

Wow you actually sent it back? You should have posted here first and have us tell you it's normal to save you some time.

It's normal because the heatspreaders on the CPU isn't making perfect contact with your heatsink. Could be due to slight concavity or convexity on your heatsink and/or cpu.

Now, a 2 degree difference isn't bad if your load temps are in check, it's just ugly to look at. My cores run 2 degrees apart and I plan to lap the cpu/heatsink when summer comes.

Wow you actually sent it back? You should have posted here first and have us tell you it's normal to save you some time.

It's normal because the heatspreaders on the CPU isn't making perfect contact with your heatsink. Could be due to slight concavity or convexity on your heatsink and/or cpu.

Now, a 2 degree difference isn't bad if your load temps are in check, it's just ugly to look at. My cores run 2 degrees apart and I plan to lap the cpu/heatsink when summer comes.

Actually, it's because the 2 cores have different loads also. For example, core 1 might load at 60% while core 2 might load at 50%. It could also be the heatspreader like what you said.

i know it sucks to send stuff back ....anyhow, i thought there was something wrong with it..i guess not.

the thing i don't undersatnd though is why did i not have the problem on the 6400? it does not make sense.........

Actually, it's because the 2 cores have different loads also. For example, core 1 might load at 60% while core 2 might load at 50%. It could also be the heatspreader like what you said.

I agree, and raise you one more. it could be the air-flow of your system or any hotspots in your case. could be anything..

The E6600's run at a slightly higher voltage i think so thats why you might see a descrepency

Actually, it's because the 2 cores have different loads also. For example, core 1 might load at 60% while core 2 might load at 50%.
Sorry to give you the bad news but this is another Intel Core2Duo feature. It doesn't balance loads 50% / 50% between the 2 cores like you think it should. My testing showed that it balances the load based on the core temperatures.

I watched a load being balanced approximately 75% / 25% once while the core temperatures were kept within 1C of each other. When one core gets hotter than the other core it automatically tries to transfer some of the load to the other core until it becomes the hotter core. When this happens it transfers some of the load back. This balancing happens continuously probably millions of times a second.

I've learned one thing. Don't try to second guess the Intel C2D. It's a pretty damn smart cpu with more engineering tricks built into it then you could ever imagine!

The E6600's run at a slightly higher voltage i think so thats why you might see a descrepency
Not true. Most E6300 / E6400 cpus have a default voltage of 1.325 volts. The E6600 is a better grade of processor so it can run stable with less voltage. It usually has a default voltage hard coded into it less than or at most equal to 1.325 v.

RM Clock Utility 2.2 should show you what VID is coded into your processor.
http://cpu.rightmark.org/download.shtml

I don't like this,
What does CoreTemp 0.95 report?

Some of the difference you are seeing is just the difference in time between the sampling of the cores. You can adjust the rate of sampling in CoreTemp lower which might show you that the two cores are being balanced better than your picture looks.

SpeedFan v.4.32 is another good program that graphs the core temps of both processors. They are usually pretty similar.

the temp. difference is consistant regardless of what software i use...

core 0 is always a couple of degrees higher......this worries me especially under high load ...

i will swap out the heatpipe fan and use the stock cooler to see where this prolblem is coming from.....

My E6600 is the same when idle it is around 3 degrees different under load its about 1 to 2. I use a Freezer Pro.

PS this was the same with the standard HS/Fan.

changed back to the stock fan......same issue.

why the differnce?

i'm confused about this one.....

What software are you using to monitor temps?

I ran Orthos and watched temps with TAT and also with SpeedFan v.4.32.

As the temps climbed there were frequent times when TAT was reporting 2C or 3C hotter on Core 0 compared to Core1. SpeedFan showed the temps mostly equal with Core0 sometimes 1C higher and rarely 2C higher. It also showed Core1 sometimes 1C higher while TAT rarely showed Core1 higher.

Run Orthos and show us the graph that SpeedFan produces for core temperatures. The graphs for my system mostly overlap with virtually no difference in temps between the cores, especially after they have reached their maximum.

tempsww9.png

How do you apply your thermal paste?

Heh, I've got 2 e6600s, one defaults at 1.325v (L642) and the other defaults at 1.2v or so (L630)... So it seems latest e6600 are also quite power hungry - and don't overclock as high ;)

BTW, in both cpus, the core temp differ by 2-3c, only in the L642 the second core usually higher and L630 the first.. both were cooled by intel stock cooler...

When I use TAT, there is a 4-5c difference between the 2 cores at idle but at load, its no more than 2c..... Coretemp and speedfan is usually within 1c diff on both load and idle..... My core0 is 40mhz faster than core1 in superpi 1M while the 6300 I tested, core1 was 30mhz faster than core0...... The difference in the 2 cores are so small that we shouldnt really worry about it.....

changed back to the stock fan......same issue.

why the differnce?

i'm confused about this one.....

very simple explaination.. two parts:
1. it's impossible to put an IHS on perfectly. one core will have better contact
2. there are variations in thermal output within the core as well, one core may actually draw more power than the other

so in short, it's perfectly normal and stop being so worried about it ;)

You should clean up your desktop. But I see you're into hacking motorola phones though, that's cool (pun intended :D )

Back