Digital/Analog?

Kathy

Limp Gawd
I just got my new Dell 2001FP and just wanted to ask if I'd see a difference between Digital and Analog? I use a KVM switch to monitor two computers and I don't think the switch has the (Digital input) but I might live without it, if it's really a big deal? Thanks!

Kathy

DVI is your better option, but if vga is your only option then you'll have to stick with it if you'd like to continue using a KVM switch.

Kathy said:
I just got my new Dell 2001FP and just wanted to ask if I'd see a difference between Digital and Analog? I use a KVM switch to monitor two computers and I don't think the switch has the (Digital input) but I might live without it, if it's really a big deal? Thanks!

Kathy

Analog is digital modulated via the video card. Basically, your turning a digital signal of 1's and 0's into a analog wave format, the same that telephones use. The result of modulating digital signals into analog is that you loose visual clarity, color and contrast in comparision to a pure digital signal.

When using a VGA cable the digital signal from the computer is going from digital, to analog via the video card, carried on the cable analog and then converted back to digital for the LCD panel to display. This results in a less then ideal signal quality and degrades the picture.

DVI keeps the signal digital all the way through, with no loss in data so your LCD shows a much sharper, crisper more color correct and uniform lit picture.

If your using a KVM switch, you will no choice but to stick with VGA and loose some visual clarity as a result.

My 2005fpw has the option for multiple inputs (DVI, VGA, S-Video and Composite), does the 2001 have the same feature? You can connect the DVI to your computer and the VGA to your KVM and switch between the two with the button on the display.

Thanks guys, appreciate all the information!

z-lite, yes I have those too but I thought the book said not to use both at the same time, did I not understand what they where saying? That would be great if I could. Thanks!

Kathy

The 2001ftpw does not have the ability to use more then one data input at a time, so you will have to choose one or upgrade to a 2005fpw that will allow PIP which is what they were talking about in the manual about using "at the same time"

IceWind said:
The 2001ftpw does not have the ability to use more then one data input at a time, so you will have to choose one or upgrade to a 2005fpw that will allow PIP which is what they were talking about in the manual about using "at the same time"

Well it's working, I did what Z-Lite said and it's working just fine. I just have to select which one I want with the button on the monitor. Thanks Z-Lite! :)

I think I'm going to love this new monitor, it feels so much bigger then my 19" CRT. I'll have to get used to the smaller text size. Is there a way to make it bigger without changing the resolution? I made the change to (largest) in Int. Explorer but it didn't help much.

Oh, does anyone use that optional sound bar for the monitor and if so how do you like it? Do you have to use it as your only speakers or can I still use what I have with it?

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the help!

Kathy

Kathy said:
Well it's working, I did what Z-Lite said and it's working just fine. I just have to select which one I want with the button on the monitor. Thanks Z-Lite! :)

I think I'm going to love this new monitor, it feels so much bigger then my 19" CRT. I'll have to get used to the smaller text size. Is there a way to make it bigger without changing the resolution? I made the change to (largest) in Int. Explorer but it didn't help much.

Oh, does anyone use that optional sound bar for the monitor and if so how do you like it? Do you have to use it as your only speakers or can I still use what I have with it?

Kathy

Yes, thats what it can do, im talking about two sources being viewed at the SAME time which what I thought you wanted.

Oh ok, I know I sound like an air-head when I talk about anything to do with computers. :)

Thanks!

Kathy said:

Kathy

Changing your DPI might help some. Right click desktop->Properties->Settings->Advanced and you can change the DPI from there.

tys90 said:
Changing your DPI might help some. Right click desktop->Properties->Settings->Advanced and you can change the DPI from there.

OK, I'll try that. I think I'm getting used to it the way it is. Word and Excel look normal, it's just the text on web pages that are small and I think it will be fine.

So has anyone got the optional speakers that can tell me if there worth buying? Thanks!

Kathy

Back