Digital Out on AUDIGY 2?

d34dly

2[H]4U
So I got an awesome deal on a JVC Reciever and matching speakers.

JVC RX-5023V

It has a digital input (coax). I have a 1/8th to Coax cable. Can I use the digital out from the sound card to the reciever? I tried already and it doesn't seem to work.

Any ideas?

There should be a mode on your reciever where you change whatever i/o you have it connected to that you change to "digital". Also, in your sound properties if you go to advanced...I believe there is a "Digital Output Only" checkbox. Try that...

Audigy can't do on-the-fly dolby digital encoding. If you watch movies and you use digial pass-through, you can take advantage of the speakers. Otherwise,, you can get a soundstorm or HDA motherboard.

dotZIP said:
Audigy can't do on-the-fly dolby digital encoding. If you watch movies and you use digial pass-through, you can take advantage of the speakers. Otherwise,, you can get a soundstorm or HDA motherboard.

I don't necessarily want DD, I just want to be able to do positional audio. Any way of doing this?

Or do I need to return this equipment and break down and buy some Logitechs?

Does the JVC have 5.1 analog inputs (your link suggests that it does)? That's the only connection option to get positional audio from games using the A2 and HT receivers.

2 options:

1. You can switch your soundcard. A Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for example will send a digital signal via COAX cable to your receiver. I'm sure many other soundcards do as well.

2. Might not be the most convenient depending on your setup. But the perfect solution is to get an nforce2 board and use the optical out to go directly from the motherboard to your receiver.

Well the Audigy has a Digital Out, it just doesn't seem to work. I get NO sounds at all with it.

Yeah it is very inconvenient to switch boards.

It doesn't appear to have 5.1 analog inputs. I only see RCA inputs.

I bought this set because it was originally $400 in store, and this came with a Progressive Scan DVD player. They sold it to me for $180.

So unless you anyone can think of an option that has all of that, plus the 5.1 Analog inputs, I am gonna keep it. But if there is such an option, I am willing to spend maybe $50 more also.

No problem, here is what you need to do to get digial out on you audigy2 go to you control panel and double click the AudigyHQ icon, next, click the device controls icon, then select the decoder tab you should then see decoder options list click the spdif passthrough option and that should be it. I don't know what you using to watch dvds on your computer but if your using power dvd like me then you will also have to make changes in the configuration panel under the audio tab, I hope this helps, later.

You don't need to switch soundcards. Any soundcard with a digital out should be able to output digital sound. It is a matter of enabling that output. It shouldn't have anything to do with the digital passthrough, since that is for passing a dolby digital stream out the digital port. Note that the sound you get out of the digital port will be stereo PCM, so the only positional audio you will get is left and right.

5.1 channel discrete inputs on a reciever use RCA connectors just like all the other inputs. It is usually off by itself and is a group of 6 RCA jacks.

Ok well it seems the digital jack on my receiver is not working. Everything is enabled and such so that has to be it. I guess I will be taking this back tomorrow.

At least then I can find one with analog inputs for the channels.

Do you have a dvd player or something else with a digital out with which you could test your receiver?

Well it appears that maybe the cable is not right.

The digital out on the sound card is a 1/8th, and the one on the receiver is obviously Coaxial. I found a 1/8th to coax cable but it doesn't seem to work.

Unless the two digital's are different.

The one on the receiver says Digital Linear PCM.

But yeah when I hook up my DVD player it works... :confused:

I am new at most of this Audio stuff so bare with me... :p

All you need is a mono 1/8" minijack to RCA Coax cable and your set.

As far as digital formats go..... you're ok. ;)

Mister X said:
All you need is a mono 1/8" minijack to RCA Coax cable and your set.

As far as digital formats go..... you're ok. ;)

Well that's the deal. I used one of those and nothing happened. I got no sound, from anything on my PC.

But the DVD worked. Could it be on the sound card end?

Are you using an 1/8" to mono rca or stereo rca? If it is a mono rca cable then the digital signal may just be on the other 'channel'. If you are using a stereo cable then try switching between the right and left rca connectors.

jpmkm said:
Are you using an 1/8" to mono rca or stereo rca? If it is a mono rca cable then the digital signal may just be on the other 'channel'. If you are using a stereo cable then try switching between the right and left rca connectors.

There aren't any Left and Right... I am going to a digital connection.

d34dly said:
There aren't any Left and Right... I am going to a digital connection.
I understand that, but the cable typically used is an 1/8" stereo to stereo RCA. I know my TBSC sends one digital stream out the left side of the cable and a different digital stream out the right side of the cable. Though I don't know anything about your soundcard so this might not even be applicable to your situation. You might want to check your soundcard's manual to see exactly what cable to use.

edit: after a bit of brief research it looks like the proper cable is a mono 1/8" to rca cable. Disregard this then.

For some reason the manual said to go from a 1/8th to a RCA female, then to a Male to male RCA cable... :confused:

Roger that.
That is primarily due to the fact that mini to RCA coax cables are not widely available.
As far as using an analog cable goes, these cables do not offer enough bandwidth for digital audio, they are (usually) poorly shielded, and they do not conform to the specified impedance of 75 ohms.
I have seen several HT receivers that would not work unless a coax cable was used.
That is kinda why I asked for specific cable information..... lets try to eliminate that as the culprit.

Mister X said:
Roger that.
That is primarily due to the fact that mini to RCA coax cables are not widely available.
As far as using an analog cable goes, these cables do not offer enough bandwidth for digital audio, they are (usually) poorly shielded, and they do not conform to the specified impedance of 75 ohms.
I have seen several HT receivers that would not work unless a coax cable was used.
That is kinda why I asked for specific cable information..... lets try to eliminate that as the culprit.

So can I find a cable at Radio Shack that would fit my needs. I just bought a 1/8th to RCA cable. So I need to look for a 1/8th to Coax specifically?

Thanks very much for your help. I would have hated to part with this system. It sounds awesome.

BTW, you have a PM.

That last post from Mr. X should lead you in the right direction. If you are using a coax cable to transmit a digital signal it has to be at least 75ohms. Most rca composite video cables should work fine for this.

PS the reason I asked earlier whether you were using the ZS or the regular variant of the Audigy card is that the ZS has a dedicated digital output where as on the
regular audigy, the digital out and center/sub output is shared and you need to activate the one you want in the software. You must uncheck the AC-3 decode option in the software if you want the AC3 signal from DVD to pass through to your receiver.

Finally, let me mention that none of this will give you EAX, or Creative multi channel positional audio. That just won't happen connecting this way. You can, if you receiver supports it, play your games using ProLogicII, which I find more than adequate for games.

Yes this is the ZS. Ok no EAX is fine. It's no big deal.

With Doom 3 doing Dolby Digital anyway that's fine. I find it more than adequate also.

Thanks for your help everyone. I learn so much on these Forums... :p

I hope I didn't mislead you.... I don't know if Doom3 will have the encoded DolbyDigital 5.1 (AC3) soundtrack, but if it doesn't you won't be able to get 5.1 on the digital output from that game either. Matrix surround such as prologic, virtual surround, or srs should work regardless though.

and people questioned why youd want dolby digital encoding on a sound card in the Dolby Digital thread here ;)

if the ps2 can do it...

pez

edit: nevermind. I don't want to fucking argue about this pointless shit.

alex pez said:
and people questioned why youd want dolby digital encoding on a sound card in the Dolby Digital thread here ;)

if the ps2 can do it...
The PS2 can't do DD encoding. There are a few PS2 games that can software compress their multi-channel audio into DTS, but the vast majority of PS2 games are simple 2 channel stereo (other than pre-recorded DD/DTS soundtracks).

Ok no arguing... it isn't needed, I got a new system anyway, and it rocks!

SLee said:
The PS2 can't do DD encoding. There are a few PS2 games that can software compress their multi-channel audio into DTS, but the vast majority of PS2 games are simple 2 channel stereo (other than pre-recorded DD/DTS soundtracks).

cool, so if a pc game could get the processor to do the encoding, could the 5.1 stream be passed through the spdif of the creative card to a receiver? would that be much of a performance hit?

pez

alex pez said:
cool, so if a pc game could get the processor to do the encoding, could the 5.1 stream be passed through the spdif of the creative card to a receiver? would that be much of a performance hit?

pez
Yes that is possible but it is a very intensive process. And it looks like the playstation 2 only does dolby digital in recorded things like intros where the audio can be encoded beforehand. Here is an exerpt from a dolby page.
Why does my PS2 only have Dolby Digital during cut-scenes?

The PS2 does not have a dedicated Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder. It would strain the PS2's processor to include Dolby Digital in games, which would slow down the action. At Dolby, we want the gamer to have the best possible experience when playing. This is why we created Dolby Pro Logic II.

So it looks like the playstation 2 CANNOT do realtime dolby digital encoding.

jpmkm said:
Yes that is possible but it is a very intensive process. And it looks like the playstation 2 only does dolby digital in recorded things like intros where the audio can be encoded beforehand. Here is an exerpt from a dolby page.

So it looks like the playstation 2 CANNOT do realtime dolby digital encoding.

so the ps2 is streaming dd info from the disks for cutscenes, and using Dolby Surround matrixed audio for the ingame scenes.

where does the dts encoding fit in with this? http://www.xiph.org/archives/vorbis/200111/0129.html and http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/gaming/ ?

from what im reading the xbox has specific nvidia hardware to do realtime dde.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/2408/Dolby-Digital-Gaming

pez

jpmkm said:
Very good decision. Where did you get it for so cheap?

Good 'ole Fry's...

Let me tell you... this system has a Gloss Piano finish, and it looks gorgeous. It sounds gorgeous too. I am supremely happy.

Back