Dilema --ned advice---

Krypton

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilema..

Background:

My Onkyo receiver TX-DS696 is now slightly broken in which the center channel will not decode anything (totally silent), but if I use the 5.1 pre-amp analogue inputs the pre and power amps still work just fine. This is a really nice receiver so I do not want to toss it yet. I only need 5.1, and do not plan on going 7.1 anytime in the future.

My HTPC (LG Blue Ray ROM, ATI 2600 pro (with DVI / HDMI), on-board HD sound) has been connected to the receiver via coax (so I am not gettting Dolby HD codecs by default), and of course the center channel does not play. I am also using Total Media theatre on this box.

Instead of upgrading my receiver at the moment, I am thinking of dropping in an X-fi sound card and outputting the downmixed analogue 5.1 into my existing receiver and calling it a day..

I just bought a Yamaha receiver that natively decodes all the newest Blu-ray codecs, but sound quality is just not as good as my old Onkyo.. I kind of want to avoid buying a new receiver since it will be obsolete in 3 years with new codecs and won't be upgradable, so I can simply upgrade my soundcard / hardware as neccessary and use the analogue input to listen to sound...thinking about taking it back to BB. I don't really care about HDMI switching since I really just use my TV for all that.

1.) Should I keep my current hardware and get a better (Xfi?) soundcard to send 5.1 analogue to my current Onkyo receiver ?

2.) Will I run into any caviats with Total Media Theatre?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey diddly ho neighboroony! Looks like you've got a hum diddly doosey on your hands...

Is the receiver still under warranty?

Are you sure it's just the receiver and not your HTPC? What did you do to rule that out?

i know it is the receiver... I tested it all stand alone, called Onkyo support and did a reset but to no avail.. only has a 2 year warranty and I have had it about 6 years.

Back