DIR-655 Problem or Xbox 360 Problem?

fenderltd

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2007
For about 2 years I used a Xbox 360 20GB with the wireless G adapter and it worked fine. I stream a lot of media through the software playback without an issue.

I recently bought a new Xbox 360 Slim that has built in Wireless "N" It's crazy with "N" supposed to be faster it lags on gaming and it will not stream ANYTHING. Most videos are 360mb-1500mb and the G streams without any issue. I have tried two different routers Cisco 4200 and Netgear WNDR3800 and it's the same thing. If I hook up the old Xbox... It just works perfect. Are there any suggestions? I know this is a popular router and surely I'm not the only person with this problem ;) At least I hope not!

Using firmware 1.34na Hardware Version A2

This is a sticky I found on Dlink's forums...

1) The router and adapter are both D-Link 802.11N products and are using the latest firmeware/drivers. Ensure that the 802.11 Mode of the router has a 802.11N mode selected. Also if you have issues with mixed mode, try locking the 802.11Mode to either 802.11N Only or 802.11G/N.

2) If you are using encryption the router must be configured to use AES cipher. In some firmware versions/models, the only way to get the AES cipher is to run WPA2. If you can not select the Cipher, selecting WPA2 only will force this cipher type.

3) The channel width needs to be set to 20/40Auto, if it is not, the adapter will report a connection speed of 130Mbps. This is a feature that was added for compatibility with Intel 802.11N adapters, as they only operate on a channel width of 20.

Thanks in advance!

I've never had good luck with streaming video over wireless on my DIR-655 to the 360s or laptops. If you force it to 802.11g only mode, is it any better?

There's a network tuning wizard in Media Center in the 360 (this may be available outside of Media Center, not sure) that might help with narrowing down the source of the issue. As I recall, the old wireless adapter for the 360 had external antennas, which might have made a difference.

I'll look for the Tuning Wizard, It's weird, when I look at the status, I have more signal strength with the new one, and it shows a higher connected data speed.

The old wireless adapter I had only had one antenna and was G mode. It streams to that fine.

The new Xbox I have has built in wireless N mode only. I could force the router to N only and see. I'll let you know!

Back