DIR-655 replacement -- NAT size question, Torrents, etc.

Twinkie

Gawd
Hey, [H]orde.

I need to replace my DIR 655. It is dropping connections with some degree of regularity now. I've tried changing channels, but at this point, I suspect the router is dying of old age.

Back when I purchased it, that was a highly recommended router due to many of the other home routers having small NATs, making them unsuitable for Torrents, high # of connections, etc.

Are most home routers better equipped for multiple connections?

I'm heavily considering the Asus RT-N56U. I'd like my replacement to be <$200 USD. Gigabit switch.

Any other routers I should be looking at? The Recommended Routers Thread seems to be a little out of date.

Wait for the Asus RT-N66U to release. It is supposed to be coming out this month!

Did you upgrade the firmware at all? I am running an A2 version with 1.35NA and it has been very stable. I have been really happy with mine after all the issues with 1.3x were worked out.

The Netgear WNDR3700 is likely the only other router I would get.

The recommended router thread if you read it to the end IS up to date. Also check out smallnetbuilder.com 's reviews on routers.

There are a lot of devices out there that are significantly more powerful then the good ol 655, but I personally am disgusted with the number of bugs that manufactures have been allowing their products to ship with. So for me, I 'll pay more and move into commerical SOHO class router just to get away from the bugs. Or I 'll buy a refurb and try it out so my investment isn t very large.

Different things for different people.

Back when I purchased it, that was a highly recommended router due to many of the other home routers having small NATs, making them unsuitable for Torrents, high # of connections, etc.

What do you consider a decent sized NAT table? Torrents will use almost as many connections as it possibly can. Do you game? Open up the Steam Server browser and watch what happens to your NAT table. It will fill almost instantly.

I've found the only solution to a NAT table that wont fill up is to build a pfsense router/firewall. Mine has 2GB of ram. After I installed the base system and packages I saw how much ram was free and dedicated it to the NAT table. My NAT table can hold 1.2-1.5 million connections. While having a LAN party I got several people to download an Avatar torrent with 10's of thousands of seeds, and refresh the steam server browser constantly. We got the state table to fill to about 800,000, only half :D

What do you consider a decent sized NAT table? Torrents will use almost as many connections as it possibly can. Do you game? Open up the Steam Server browser and watch what happens to your NAT table. It will fill almost instantly.

I've found the only solution to a NAT table that wont fill up is to build a pfsense router/firewall. Mine has 2GB of ram. After I installed the base system and packages I saw how much ram was free and dedicated it to the NAT table. My NAT table can hold 1.2-1.5 million connections. While having a LAN party I got several people to download an Avatar torrent with 10's of thousands of seeds, and refresh the steam server browser constantly. We got the state table to fill to about 800,000, only half :D

So how large of a NAT table can you fit on a PFsense router with only 512MB.

My first PFsense rotuer should be arriving tomorrow ;)

So how large of a NAT table can you fit on a PFsense router with only 512MB.

My first PFsense rotuer should be arriving tomorrow ;)

Each state in the Nat table is 1KB of RAM. Find out how much RAM you have left after the various packages you to install and adjust your state table afterwards.

Back