DIR-655: widely different user experiences?

Jim S.

n00b
Based on comments on this forum, I was thinking of buying a DLink DIR-655. I need an affordable gigabit N router with good QoS features. It seems to be highly recommended here. But on the forum at Broadband Reports (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink), everyone seems to think it's anywhere from buggy to completely unusable. Why is there such a difference in attitude between the two forums?

the DIR-655 is one of the best wireless N routers you can get, no complaints here.

The problem does come when people are using both Wireless N and G , if you have a device that is using G then it will slow down the wireless N speeds but if you just have a wireless N network you wont have any trouble.

Right, I understand that since it isn't dual-band it won't be able to maintain N speeds on a mixed network. But everybody on BBR says it drops connections, crashes, won't remember settings, and so on ad infinitum.

Don't forget when you go to support forums where novices tend to go for help, most of the posts are compliants, most of the input is complaints. Many of those people don't know how to set things up properly in the first place.

A twist on a sales mans adage:
People with a negative experience with a product will bitch and moan about it to a lot of people
People with a good experience with a product rarely say much about it, so you rarely hear about the good experiences.

I have one and have no complaints. I have mine set to N only, but only because I only have N hardware. Some people might be on an older version of firmware, which may have some bugs in it. I had a DIR-615 that would loose the wireless sometimes when my 2.4 G cordless phone rang. I switched phones to Dict 6.0 before buying the DIR-655 so I don't know if thats still a problem. I don't think that is a problem unique to D-Link routers it's just a result of sharing the same radio band.

I've had one for almost a year. The only time it has lost its settings is when I did a firmware upgrade, which is expected. I have it connected to a gigabit network with 2 network printers connected directly to it and 3 computers/1 xbox connected via the switch. It's been rock solid and let's me take full advantage of Roadrunner Turbo (something my Netgear router couldn't do).

As to its wireless capabilities, I don't know. I shut off that part and only use it for a wired network.

If you go to Tools, System, you can save all your settings to a configuration file. I exported my settings from my 615 and imported them into my 655. After that I went though the settings looking for the new stuff and then saved to a new file. Firmware updates are a piece of cake now. :D

I just got one, and I have my old WRT54G bridged to it to get IPTV on the upstairs TV without having to run wires all over the house. The DIR-655 has been running without issues, it's been running pretty much nonstop since I got it and gets a fair amount of traffic running through it both over wireless and wired. I don't live somewhere with a huge amount of 2.4 Ghz usage, some of my neighbors running wi-fi networks, cordless phones and such.

I've had mine for 3+ years now. Now problems. Only have 2 G devices in the house, everything else is wired. I transfer boat loads of data from the internet (1TB+/month) and internally across my network.

I've had mine for about a year now and haven't run into a single issue. The only time I've had to reboot it was for firmware upgrades or router settings changes.

* Using both wired and wireless with WPA2 enabled
* 4-10 hours of use a day
* Monthly bandwidth use (internet only): 200-250 GB
* Apartment complex with approx. 20 other attached units

I can only add my 'me too' to everyone here with good things to say about it. I picked it up based on the [H] recommendation, and I haven't regretted it since then.

Back