DIR655 Malware?

Phantoms

Limp Gawd
I've read in numerous places that a firmware update on the DLink DIR655 contains malware (Securespot) that will at random times browse to a page for secure spot without your asking it too and without regard to what you were already browsing, attempting to get to pay for their program whether you want it or not. All this in a router firmware update (shame on you D-Link).

My problem is I want to hook a multifunction printer to the DIR655 usb port so that I can share it across the network without having to have my main PC on. To do so, I need the latest firmware which includes shareport.

I have read in just a couple places that the firmware has been updated to make Securespot an option when updating so that you don't get the malware by default. I just want to confirm this before I update my router's firmware so that I don't install this malware by default.

I've had the dir655 and all the firmware and never seen a random browse to securespot, nor any mention until this post. Don't know if that helps or not, but.. :)

I see that they've added a updated "1.21 without securespot" version, so I guess I answered my own question.

DDA,

Being a Smart Ass was not my intention and I'm sorry if it came off that way. I was simply trying to fill you in on what I was talking about.

Back