Directron 32GB Torx refurb $29

Installed the drive in my Z68X system as a cache drive. After reinstalling the drivers, it detected the drive and operated just great. Now I have to RMA my Agility 3 SSD since it was junk. I am very happy with the 34.00 investment and their fast shipping.

Does anyone know for sure if this was a Torqx SSD? It had not labeling on it that said which version it was. I would like to check the firmware on it.

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

I'm seriously tempted to throw this in my gaming Rig and redo the windows install... Theoretically I could use my 640GB for Documents/Music/Games and use the SSD for Windows/Page File/Core PC Programs (Office, VLC, etc) and then keep my movies and ISO images on my external like I've been doing...

Gah so tempting.

Installed the drive in my Z68X system as a cache drive. After reinstalling the drivers, it detected the drive and operated just great. Now I have to RMA my Agility 3 SSD since it was junk. I am very happy with the 34.00 investment and their fast shipping.

Does anyone know for sure if this was a Torqx SSD? It had not labeling on it that said which version it was. I would like to check the firmware on it.

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

The naming convention matches the Torx TRB series RF32GS25SSDR vs PT32GS25SSDR. I emailed Patriot to make sure. I'll let you know if I hear back.

The naming convention matches the Torx TRB series RF32GS25SSDR vs PT32GS25SSDR. I emailed Patriot to make sure. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Thanks... did anyone happen to check the firmware version of the received drive? If it was a TorX TRB series, they only offer one firmware update V110309 (I assume this is release date 3/9/2011)

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

Thanks... did anyone happen to check the firmware version of the received drive? If it was a TorX TRB series, they only offer one firmware update V110309 (I assume this is release date 3/9/2011)

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

mine comes in friday. ill post up if someone else hasnt already. its gonna be a fun little hd for 30 bux.

Rob, what guide did you follow? i have the same setup.

Are you asking how I set up the cache drive? I have the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard so this applies to it:
I downloaded the newest IRST from intel and installed them then installed the Intel SATA drivers by unpacking then control panel/system/device manger and updating drivers on the ide/adapi controller to the Raid SATA you just unpacked, then make sure you set for RAID in bios or use the disk mode switch utility from Gigabyte. Hooked up the SSD and it detected it after I got the IRST drivers and Sata drivers installed.... Running like a champ as a cache drive.

I bit on a couple 32GB to mirror as my ZFS boot. I may through one into my MacBook and use my 64GB C300 for something else.

mine comes in friday. ill post up if someone else hasnt already. its gonna be a fun little hd for 30 bux.

Here is a screenshot from Crystaldisk on the drive that I just received.

4ZvZ1.png

:( Yeah, this drive is a no go on my laptop. I can't get windows to install and as of right now bios doesn't recognize the drive anymore.

Always always check the drive and format it BEFORE installing it. Saves time and hassle.

:( Yeah, this drive is a no go on my laptop. I can't get windows to install and as of right now bios doesn't recognize the drive anymore.

Bababooey;
Your posted firmware date is showing 110322. That is newer than the posted firmware of 110309. That is interesting. With mine being a Raid drive in a cache, I cant see my drive anymore to get the information off it.

Good luck on the format to get it installed on laptop. You might try Part Magic to get it to reformat and clean. Its a free partitioning.formatter

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

Last edited:
Bababooey;
Your posted firmware date is showing 110322. That is newer than the posted firmware of 110309. That is interesting. With mine being a Raid drive in a cache, I cant see my drive anymore to get the information off it.

Good luck on the format to get it installed on laptop.

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

For some reason if you click on the pdf on patriot's website it actually mentions 110322.

Always always check the drive and format it BEFORE installing it. Saves time and hassle.

The drive formats fine on my desktop, the beauty of ssds.

I'm really pleased to see it's a confirmed Torx drive. There was a thread on another site where someone seemed to think it was a Warp drive, which is a shitty JMicron SSD. I would have been bummed if that is what it ended up being.

Looks like these could end up anything. Both of mine are a PS-100, not a Torx like Bababooey got.

Drive 1:

ibhqwj.png

Drive 2:

b9cdx4.png

Quick and dirty benchmark:

262mou1.png

Last edited:
So it's safe to say you're bummed? Is the PS-100 a Warp?

Quite the opposite. Patriot had three different 32GB SSDs. The Warp, The Torx TRB, and the PS-100. The Warp was a first gen JMicron piece of crap. The Torx is a second gen JMicron, and is significantly better. The PS-100 is a Phison controller, and from what I can tell, was a sort of lackluster performer when it released, but firmware updates gave it significantly better read speeds, at the expense of a slight drop in write performance, which is perfectly fine by me since these are for an HTPC. The PS-100 appears the be the best of the three, as long as its on the latest firmware.

Quite the opposite. Patriot had three different 32GB SSDs. The Warp, The Torx TRB, and the PS-100. The Warp was a first gen JMicron piece of crap. The Torx is a second gen JMicron, and is significantly better. The PS-100 is a Phison controller, and from what I can tell, was a sort of lackluster performer when it released, but firmware updates gave it significantly better read speeds, at the expense of a slight drop in write performance, which is perfectly fine by me since these are for an HTPC. The PS-100 appears the be the best of the three, as long as its on the latest firmware.

Great info thanks. Mine will be running in dedicated crunchers so reliability, not speed, is my number one concern. Think a firmware update will do anything for reliability?

Great info thanks. Mine will be running in dedicated crunchers so reliability, not speed, is my number one concern. Think a firmware update will do anything for reliability?

Do you have your drive yet? It looks like Patriot put the latest firmware on them. Both mine came with the latest firmware, and the Torx drives appear to be coming with a firmware newer than whats even on their website.

Nope I just ordered them yesterday. I will report back when I get them though.

Bababooey;
[snip]

You should still be able to see the drive's fw in IRST

Dragon_diskcfg.jpg

even my raid1 vol disks show the fw when I highlight individual disks.

I'm tempted to pick a couple of these up just cause they're so cheap.

I'm tempted to get another one of these for caching. Do you guys think it would be worth the trouble of switching from AHCI to RAID (and losing TRIM in the process)? I would be using it as a cache for a 1TB drive dedicated to Steam.

Mine arrived today. Going to format with an external enclosure then set the caching.
Wil report my luck.

think this would be good as an OS drive in my gaming rig? i would move all my documents and steam folder and to the 160gb 7200rpm drive im using now.

Yea, good OS drive. Just got mine today.
PS-100
So hopefully it came with the latest firmware.

k, just not sure if i should go full-ssd or not. theyre still pretty expensive for high capacity ones, but im kinda hesitant to move my steam folder to a separate drive. i feel like that would create all sorts of problems.

Found out mine was a Patriot PS-100 drive.... noticed that when I got the RAID rom screen display. Need to check the IRST screen for firmware.. I never noticed that before being listed... thanks for the tip.
But so far it is working great as a cache drive in a Z68 setup. I locked it up last nite due to crossfire video driver and it rebuilt that cache drive upon reboot and worked find after rebooting.

Rob in Mesquite,Tx

I bit on a 64GB for my laptop. I'll use my 250GB in my laptop for storage with a cheap external enclosure for transportability and space on the go. All else can go on my 1TB external at the house and I'll have SSD performance in the laptop.

Snagged it for $57 even. I'll even have it in time for vacation. Woo

Had to RMA 2 of the 3 32gb Torqx TRB's I got ouch! Hopefully will end up with good out of the deal.

Back