Directx 11 whatever happened to directx 10?

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
I remember years ago talk about directx 10 and how it made games look better. i remember seeing some screen shots of games using directx 10 before release and they looked good. Then when games came out that supported dx10 they looked identical to dx9 Now directx 11 is out now does dx11 make an actual differnece compared to the dx9 to dx 10? I am asking this because i am still on xp so i never go the chance to experience dx10.

Like the above post said, DX10 didn't really take off because PC gamers in general didn't take to Windows Vista very well, with most opting to stay with XP.

In addition, DX10 came in the advent of the "next-gen" consoles, which both still use DX9, which didn't provide developers much incentive to provide DX10 effects for the PC ports of their games. Capcom is really the only one I can think of that added DX10 with its PC ports (Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet and Resident Evil 5...not sure about Street Fighter 4, someone else might be able to verify that).

Crysis and STALKER Clear Sky are the only PC-exclusives I can think of that showed any significant difference between DX9 and DX10.

Now that Windows 7 is getting a much better reception than Vista did, we'll probably see more DX11 titles, but I doubt there'll be much difference between DX11 PC games if they're just console ports. There didn't seem to be much difference with Dirt 2, even with the much-hyped tessellation.

Basically, Vista murdered the dreams of just about everyone who was going "I'm gonna hold off for 2+ generations till the DX10 cards come out".

Vista was brand new, it had to go through some growing pains just like XP did when it first came out. Unfortunately MS decided to tie DX10 to it anyway.

completely agree that vista killed dx10.. but at the same time it was a learning experience for microsoft to figure out that creating multiple directx API's is pointless.. which is why some time in the near future the dx11 API will become backwards compatible across all dx9/10/10.1/11 cards just without the tessellation support for dx9/10/10.1 cards.. the question will just be if card manufactures see it that way and add the support into the drivers..

i think the other part that killed dx10 was the lack of performance when used in some games.. especially something like crysis where the only actual noticable difference between dx9 and dx10 was the water.. yet you lost 8-10fps just because of that tiny little feature that really didnt add to the game..

....and so far DX 10 has only been implemented as a very minor visual upgrade complete with sizeable performance hit. So far I can't see why they gave it a whole new number. Should have just been called DX 10.1 or 10.2.

....and so far DX 10 has only been implemented as a very minor visual upgrade complete with sizeable performance hit. So far I can't see why they gave it a whole new number. Should have just been called DX 10.1 or 10.2.

because there is already a dx10.1 :p and im guessing they named it dx11 due to the sizable addition of tessellation and to close the door on the complete failure of dx10..

In addition, DX10 came in the advent of the "next-gen" consoles, which both still use DX9, which didn't provide developers much incentive to provide DX10 effects for the PC ports of their games. Capcom is really the only one I can think of that added DX10 with its PC ports (Devil May Cry 4, Lost Planet and Resident Evil 5...not sure about Street Fighter 4, someone else might be able to verify that).

That would be a no to SF4 DX10.

Vista didn't kill dx10... consoles supporting dx9 is what killed dx10

if vista had run as smoothly as windows 7 does.. do you think dx10 would of been implemented into more games and been adopted much quicker then it was in vista? i would have to say yes.. so in the end vista did kill dx10..

I honestly don't believe so. I was an early vista adopter and I had little problems. A lot of people jump on the hate vista bandwagon but forget the issues that their beloved XP had initially.

I honestly don't believe so. I was an early vista adopter and I had little problems. A lot of people jump on the hate vista bandwagon but forget the issues that their beloved XP had initially.

people say this but it was really nowhere near as bad. xp was built on nt5, which was already a mature platform from win2k released almost 2 years before. it would make more sense to compare xp to win7 since they share similar places in the dev cycle, even though the win2k/nt5 release was rock solid compared to vista/nt6. most of the xp problems were only ui/driver related, even now it hasn't changed all that much since then.

people say this but it was really nowhere near as bad. xp was built on nt5, which was already a mature platform from win2k released almost 2 years before. it would make more sense to compare xp to win7 since they share similar places in the dev cycle, even though the win2k/nt5 release was rock solid compared to vista/nt6. most of the xp problems were only ui/driver related, even now it hasn't changed all that much since then.

What are you smoking? XP was fucking horrible when it rolled out. I was working as a tech for a Major OEM at the time and XP just frankly sucked ass when it rolled out. Many, many driver and hardware issues with a ton of shit that was just broken.Waiting months for both software and hardware vendors to fix their broken crap that worked fine under Win 95/98 and even ME.

Put down the crack pipe. :rolleyes:

By the time anything even noteworthy will run on DX11, DX12 will be out or DX will be gone.

No.

The move from 98 to XP was just simply awesome.

I don't really hate Vista TBH, never did, I just never saw the reason to upgrade and I feel the same way regarding 7 too. Another thing I don't like about either Vista or 7 is that the "Classic" theme looks ugly.

im sorry but windows ME was the best OS and still is better then xp...

lulz

It all depends what developers do with it. I've ported some of my code from 9 to 11 and I've found 11 to be much faster. This means I could add more graphical goodies, or I could just leave it the same wither better frame rates.

so does dx11 make a big graphical difference vs dx10?

I don't think it has made much of a difference to games that been released thus far - like Aliens versus Predator, STALKER: Call of Pripyat and DIRT 2.

But it may in the future...the below screenshot is from the DX11 version of the upcoming game Metro 2033. Tessellation seems cool.

so does dx11 make a big graphical difference vs dx10?

DX11 has three main features:
1) Multi-threaded rendering
2) DirectCompute
3) Tessellation
The first two features are important and could improve framerates, but not necessarily things that you'll notice visually.

Tessellation on the other hand has more potential to be obvious. In truth, tessellation can't do anything that couldn't be done with extremely-high-poly models, so tessellation is really just another performance improvement since it allows developers to add a lot of geometric detail for a fairly low cost. Developers may chose to use this performance benefit to add geometric detail that would otherwise be prohibitively performance-expensive, such as round objects being round like the goggles in the above screenshot.

The key difference between XP and Vista (and ultimately how DX10 was perceived) was the reasons behind people moving to a new operating system.

IMHO it was like this:

Windows XP:
Geeks wanted it, no, needed this operating system. Win98 crashed all the time, Millenium Edition was even worse. As with VHS tapes people were already crying out for something better, so just like how DVDs really took off because people genuinely wanted them, so did XP. Sure XP had problems at launch, but it gave so much more that people readily put up with any and all problems.

Vista:
Wasn't needed, XP was more than good enough; no one crying out for a new OS. Vista then turned out to be a bloated heap of shit offering no performance over XP. Brought an annoying UAC nag shit which was what apparently made it more secure. Brought DX10 which was seen as a further negative to many users as it meant having to buy new hardware to use it.

Since no one was crying out for a new OS after XP, Vista 'failed'. Win7 has consequently succeeded for the EXACT reasons XP did: It's predecessor was significantly shit enough that people were crying out for better before they even knew about the future OS.

As a result, DX11 stands a good chance of actually taking off. Mark my words, by the end of this year we'll start to see PC games that significantly make console games look like total shit and everyone'll be like, "PC gaming is back from the dead!". ;)

Last edited:

It has nothing to do with how good or bad vista actually is / was. A good product that no one adopts is just as bad for Dx10.

What are you smoking? XP was fucking horrible when it rolled out. I was working as a tech for a Major OEM at the time and XP just frankly sucked ass when it rolled out. Many, many driver and hardware issues with a ton of shit that was just broken.Waiting months for both software and hardware vendors to fix their broken crap that worked fine under Win 95/98 and even ME.

By the time anything even noteworthy will run on DX11, DX12 will be out or DX will be gone.

same here, that's how I know it didn't suck. but then again experience with win2k made it much easier, which would probably get skipped over if you were dealing strictly with end user clones, that's probably the case if you're going to completely miss my point. when you compare the issues in transition from 98/me --> win2k --> xp with xp --> vista --> win7, not even close.

Like the above post said, DX10 didn't really take off because PC gamers in general didn't take to Windows Vista very well, with most opting to stay with XP.

Crysis and STALKER Clear Sky are the only PC-exclusives I can think of that showed any significant difference between DX9 and DX10.

Now that Windows 7 is getting a much better reception than Vista did, we'll probably see more DX11 titles, but I doubt there'll be much difference between DX11 PC games if they're just console ports. There didn't seem to be much difference with Dirt 2, even with the much-hyped tessellation.

Just 100% bang on all points.

Win7 will bring DX11 more to the masses. And best of all, DX11 and DX10 are very unified and compatible with eachother, so it's like DX10 DID take off in all actuality.

I don't think it has made much of a difference to games that been released thus far - like Aliens versus Predator, STALKER: Call of Pripyat and DIRT 2.

But it may in the future...the below screenshot is from the DX11 version of the upcoming game Metro 2033. Tessellation seems cool.

I don't know why exactly but lately all the graphics look so "stone-y". They have that stone like texture or something but they do not look real.

I'm going to have to agree with this. XP sucked until SP1 was released and fixed ALOT of the issues people were having with driver compatibility. IIRC, nVidia didn't have a working XP driver until 6 months after XP's release and even then, it was sketchy.

I don't know why exactly but lately all the graphics look so "stone-y". They have that stone like texture or something but they do not look real.

Kinda like how everything looked like plastic in last gen games.

If you are a tech you're pretty going to hate all the operating systems, cause an average has a great way of fucking up anything, no matter how perfect.

I don't remember exactly how smooth my transition was from 98 to XP but I do remember how having many problems at all.

BTW, quick question while we are on the XP subject. Any of you guys on XP SP3? I'm on SP2 now and have heard that people weren't too happy with SP3 and it's worse than SP2.

Back