DiRT2 question...

Hexen525

Limp Gawd
Hi all.

Does DiRT2 support the Xbox 360 controller in Windows 7? I was under the impression that to be certified for GFW you had to support the X360 controller in Vista (thus most likely in W7 also). I see in the options that it supports wheels and on the website I see the patch for a Logitech USB controller.

Mainly, I am looking at this game and am not sure if I want it or not. The demo was fun. Looks amazing in DX11. But controlling the cars with a keyboard is a chore at best. And I don't really have any "controller friendly" games (i.e.-non-FPS, non-RPGs) so I am not sure if the X360 controller even works right.

If the game and/or demo supports it, then I can assume I don't have the controller configured right. If the game doesn't support it, no sense in getting it as I am not going to play it with a keyboard.

Any help would be great. Thanx;)

works fine with wired x360 controller in windows 7 for me.

Ya, I think I've come to the conclusion that my X360 controller isn't working right. Device Manager says it's installed and has the name for it, but doesn't list it a controller and doesn't list a manufacturer.

It's a wireless controller plugged in via the charge n' play cable.

See if IMG works in here...

x360.jpg

x360a.jpg

x360b.jpg

Last edited:
Ya, I think I've come to the conclusion that my X360 controller isn't working right. Device Manager says it's installed and has the name for it, but doesn't list it a controller and doesn't list a manufacturer.

It's a wireless controller plugged in via the charge n' play cable.

My wireless receiver looks exactly like that in the control panel (everything verbatim) and it works for all my games that support it.

Really? Then what am I doing wrong? I hate consoles and controllers, but I miss racing games. Too cheap to buy a racing wheel for 1 game and hate using a digital keyboard over an analog stick for steering. Really like to get this running. Anyone got any ideas?

I had to start a new game from scratch to get the 360 controller to work. It would not work with a savegame from using keyboard.
I think I could navigate options though,just couldn't drive the car.

All I have installed is the demo. Controller has been installed for quite some time now, just never had a game that would use it.

Edit: I just installed my old junkie Saitek P880 controller and it works great. No drivers needed (already built in to Win 7). Set a few buttons and I rocked the Baja race in the demo. Tried the X360 controller again, nothing. Couldn't even set a button on it. Just blinks the green light all the time.

Last edited:
Just installed the X360 controller on my Vista laptop (Vista Ultimate x64 SP2) and the same issue. Installs drivers off of Windows Update. Says it's installed and ready to use. doesn't list it as a controller in Control Panel>Game Controllers. Doesn't list it as a game controller under Device Manager, instead it's listed as "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class" (whatever that is).

So I am assuming the controller is busted. Unless anyone has any ideas (and I am always open to ideas), I'm gonna call it $15 lost and move on with my day.

Last edited:
All I have installed is the demo. Controller has been installed for quite some time now, just never had a game that would use it.

Edit: I just installed my old junkie Saitek P880 controller and it works great. No drivers needed (already built in to Win 7). Set a few buttons and I rocked the Baja race in the demo. Tried the X360 controller again, nothing. Couldn't even set a button on it. Just blinks the green light all the time.

Wow. I JUST realized what you were trying to do. So your setup is a wireless xbox360 controller hooked up to the computer via the usb charger right?

That definitely doesn't work. I didn't read your screenshot clearly the first time... but you definitely need the wireless receiver and not just the charger. If the xbox button is just blinking it means that the controller doesn't know what it's talking to. You have to get a wireless receiver and sync it with that. This whole time I assumed that you had the wireless receiver... which apparently uses the same driver version / date which was why I got confused:

xboxreceiver.png

Back