Disable one core on X2

I use a program called RunFirst.

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

Put the .exe in the same folder as your game and then add a command line (before the game's .exe) in the game's shortcut. This will automatically set the processor affinity to a single processor wach time you start theh program.

I'm assuming that application problems are the reason you want to disable a core. Sorry if my assumption is incorrect.

You can try getting an older revision bios for your mb that supports venice chips only. (else no boot whatsoever) This will make the mb only detect 1 core.

... don't disable nothin. u should take an advantage of havin dual core for many things. :)

mike0219116 said:

Put the .exe in the same folder as your game and then add a command line (before the game's .exe) in the game's shortcut. This will automatically set the processor affinity to a single processor wach time you start theh program.

I'm assuming that application problems are the reason you want to disable a core. Sorry if my assumption is incorrect.

Heh, thanks, but I actually want to get some perfromance numbers out of a single core.

Any further ideas other than the bios (looking for one now)..?

if you only run one instance of the benchmark then it will only test one core. If the utility supports dual core, it probably lets you specify.

You could always reinstall Windows XP or install it on a new drive partition and when it's installing and says press F6 to install a thrid party driver (or somthing similar to that) press F5 instead. Then choose a uniprocessor pc system. One core will only function then!

mike0219116 said:

is there something similar that will set a program to affinity CPU1?

is there something similar that will set a program to affinity CPU1?

Yes, just use the task manager. CTRL + ALT + DELETE. Find the process that you want to run affinity on, right click on it and "Set Affinity to cpu(x)". That's it.

Lol like others said why the hell would you want to disable the other core ? I mean thats what makes the x2 so good if it wasnt for that I wouldnt even bother with a single core amd cpu and yes that includes the fx series. Personally until amd came out with the x2 I wouldnt even think of owning a amd processor.

He already said he wants to bench the performance of the single core.

freeloader1969 said:
Yes, just use the task manager. CTRL + ALT + DELETE. Find the process that you want to run affinity on, right click on it and "Set Affinity to cpu(x)". That's it.

I do not want to have to sit infront of my pc and constantly set affinity that is Y i asked for a program that would set affinity to either core of my choosing. oh well guess im out of luck

You asked for a program that could set affinity. The task manager is that program. Short of the program your running having an option to do it, you're SOL.

Also, considering your situation you should've bought a single core processor or bought a hyperthreading P4. Atleast you can shut off hyperthreading in the BIOS on most P4 boards. Maybe in a future BIOS release, you'll have the option of disabling one of the cores on your processor. Ask the manufacturer of your board to do so. If enough people ask, they'll probably do it.

JFYI...it's pretty rude to criticize someone who is only offering you advice on a question you've asked :( If you want answers to your questions, even though those answers aren't correct or may not be what you want to hear, then why ask? Peace....

freeloader1969 said:
You asked for a program that could set affinity. The task manager is that program.
yes the task manager does that but im looking for one that will set affinity automatically everytime the program starts and/or restarts one of its processes (ie folding@home. the client keeps running but the cores stop and start{and change to another folding core} and everytime a new unit starts the affinity goes back to cpu0&cpu1 set on) which spreads the work across both cpus.

freeloader1969 said:
Also, considering your situation you should've bought a single core processor or bought a hyperthreading P4. Atleast you can shut off hyperthreading in the BIOS on most P4 boards. Maybe in a future BIOS release, you'll have the option of disabling one of the cores on your processor. Ask the manufacturer of your board to do so. If enough people ask, they'll probably do it.
i purchased dual core to run two folding clients and or one folding client and a game on the other cpu i have no desire to disable either processor

freeloader1969 said:
JFYI...it's pretty rude to criticize someone who is only offering you advice on a question you've asked :( If you want answers to your questions, even though those answers aren't correct or may not be what you want to hear, then why ask? Peace....

honestly if that was rude i guess the world has become a very delicate place. i did mention at the end OH WELL GUESS I'M OUT OF LUCK "as in that sucks and ill get over it". if i knew how to write a program i would do it im sure someone else is having the same problem some where.

rhexis said:
the utility you are looking for is called imagecfg and can be found at http://www.robpol86.com/?imagecfg
ive used it to set the affinity for aplications that dont work well on dual cores and it works great.

My virus scanner says it has a virus in it when I scan it... so I'm kind of wary, to say the least, of using this. However, Microsoft does have an official tool that might work for what the poster is asking:

Installation and usage instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;252867&

Intfilt included in the MS 2003 Server resource kit, which works with Windows XP too:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

I'm a very easy person to get along with, very easy. Your post came across more as "saucy" then rude. Anyhow, let's just forget about it. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for. ;)

freeloader1969 said:
I'm a very easy person to get along with, very easy. Your post came across more as "saucy" then rude. Anyhow, let's just forget about it. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for. ;)
well i never have been called saucy, thats a new one but COOL we are all just tryin to find our digital way.

thanks for your help. hope we can carry on :)

i just scanned it with symantec corp v 9 and it came back clean on this end. you are correct tho ms has the utility as well.

I just did a quick scan using trendmicro's web scanner since I'm on a computer at a lab and not on my own computer. It claimed it had a virus, so I was just passing on the information just in case :).

I was searching for this yesterday and i found a simple and efficient way. Just edit your boot.ini file and add /onecpu to the line of windows.

example:

[boot loader]
timeout=05
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional un solo nucleo" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /onecpu

I added a second line with the /onecore option, so i can choose if i want a manchester or venice.

valrond said:
I was searching for this yesterday and i found a simple and efficient way. Just edit your boot.ini file and add /onecpu to the line of windows.

example:

[boot loader]
timeout=05
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional un solo nucleo" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer /onecpu

I added a second line with the /onecore option, so i can choose if i want a manchester or venice.

:p

very cool.

Back