Discussion: 160GB Kingston/Intel X-25M

Mine has shipped and I have a UPS tracking number. I double checked the product identification to include the listed UPC code. If you run that UPC code on Google, it does in fact show the 160GB model. They scan the product by the UPC code to verify it before they box it, so I'm confident it will be the 160GB model and not the 80GB. We'll see in a couple of days.

I'm really jealous. I hope mine ships as well.

/Curses self for picking slow shipping option

I missed this. What are you guys getting(Intel X-25M for how much?)?

EDIT: never mind, found it

GreenGoose,

What type of shipping did you select?

I selected free shipping and still says "Sent to Warehouse"

GreenGoose,

What type of shipping did you select?

I selected free shipping and still says "Sent to Warehouse"

I selected Standard 3-5 day for $4.99. Sometimes Buy.com ships from a warehouse 30 minutes from me, so I might get it tomorrow. My tracking number does not show any info on UPS yet. As soon as I get details, I'll post it here.

No guarantee of it actually shipping so I wouldn't be too upset about not getting in just yet.

Dang, mine shipped from California and I'm in Texas. It says expected delivery of Thursday May 7.

I'd be happy it shipped at all. That's good news. Might mean they'll be honoring the price for everyone. *crosses fingers

If I end up getting mine, then I wonder what firmware it will have installed. Hopefully it will be the latest one that Intel released for their drives.

Last edited:
Just be happy it shipped. That's good news. Might mean they'll be honoring the price.

If I end up getting mine, then I wonder what firmware it will have installed. Hopefully it will be the latest one that Intel released for their drives.

That's no big deal. Updating the firmware is super easy. I did it on the two X25-M's I already own. The Kingstons flash with the same Intel firmware.

Thanks for the heads up on the firmware. You must like them a lot if you already have 2 of them.

I'm in the process of looking up what changes I'll need to make to Vista to get the most out of the SSD.

Now I'm worried that we're all going to get 80GB drives. I chose the free shipping, which apparently can delay the ship time by a few days. Hopefully people get their drives before mine ships, so I can cancel if 80GB drives start showing up.

Mine shipped today too. It should be here tomorrow. Can't wait!

Chose 3-5 day via Google Check out.

These work for all SSD's:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=318773#post318773

I did all but the RAMDisk and I'm very happy with the performance.

Those suggestions were intended for use with slower JMicron-based SSDs. Most of the suggestions won't help if you're using a better SSD, like the Intel X-25M or OCZ Vertex. Some of them won't even help with the slower JMicron drives, either, but that's a "near-religious" discussion (argument!) best handled elsewhere.

With Vista the only tweak you need is to disable the automatic disk defragmenter. You might also turn off the "last access timestamp" updates in the NTFS filesystem settings in the registry if you're seriously concerned about cutting down on small writes. Ignore the rest of the suggestions.

Mine has been shipped from California as well. Expected delivery date is the 8th. Can't believe It will get here that fast though since it shipped UPS Ground. We will start seeing people get theirs tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Delivery scheduled 5/7 ... we'll see how accurate that is. Postponing my Windows 7 RC install until it gets here. :cool:

Now to decide where to put my Raptor 150 lol.

Grats guys... I tried placing my order all day long and it kept saying the checkout system was down. Came back from dinner and it was fixed, but then out of stock already :(... really wanted one of these puppies too!

Those suggestions were intended for use with slower JMicron-based SSDs. Most of the suggestions won't help if you're using a better SSD, like the Intel X-25M or OCZ Vertex. Some of them won't even help with the slower JMicron drives, either, but that's a "near-religious" discussion (argument!) best handled elsewhere.

With Vista the only tweak you need is to disable the automatic disk defragmenter. You might also turn off the "last access timestamp" updates in the NTFS filesystem settings in the registry if you're seriously concerned about cutting down on small writes. Ignore the rest of the suggestions.

You could be right. I'm new to the SSD world and found those tips linked to several X25-M posts on performance. Will those tweaks hurt the X25-M performance or just not help? I did all the tweaks and I seem to be running fast with no problems.

Most of them shouldn't hurt anything, with the possible exception of disabling the pagefile. Doing that can break some applications or cause occasional instabilities. Leave that at the default settings. The suggestion to disable indexing may help somewhat... as long as you're okay with losing that feature.

I just got mine too. It is a 160gB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yaya.... now what to do with it?

Should I sell it and get 2x 30gb vertex or keep the kingston for my boot drive?

I just got mine too. It is a 160gB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yaya.... now what to do with it?

Should I sell it and get 2x 30gb vertex or keep the kingston for my boot drive?

I would keep the Kingston without a doubt. Make it OS and application drive. Put data on another drive. If you play games 160GB is not too big.

I have the UPS tracking for my order, its already left the warehouse

Did anyone that's said it has shipped use free shipping?

The status for mine still says "Sent to warehouse". At one point in time, I thought it said processing for shipping" or something but then switched back to saying "Sent to Warehouse"

Did anyone that's said it has shipped use free shipping?

The status for mine still says "Sent to warehouse". At one point in time, I thought it said processing for shipping" or something but then switched back to saying "Sent to Warehouse"
I picked free shipping, and I saw the exact same behavior.

This happened to me and many people on the GTX 280 "deal". Eventually the orders got canceled.
Congrats to all who got it.

Did they ship GTX 280s to anyone?

Why would they ship these drives to some people and not others?

because some orders slipped through the processing system before they caught it.

you lucky bastards

Well I did a straight order using Google Checkout while their system was having problems. Other people were trying to get fancier with eBay cashback, etc. Not sure why mine went through if everyone else was doing the same thing. I ordered at 6:54PM Central on Sat with the free shipping. Maybe it was just which warehouse our orders ended up going to. My status always said processing, but never said Sent To Warehouse. The next thing I knew I had a tracking number.

Last edited:
I ordered mine at 5:35pm EST on Saturday (about 20 minutes before you did) with free shipping. It appears I'm going to be unlucky. :(

Back