Dish Launches New High-Speed Internet Service

This is great news for folks in the boon tulies who are locked in to one and only one provider.

I think most of you guys are missing the point of this type of service. As a recently former employee of Dish Network and installer of the Exede/Wildblue internet systems, there's a HUGE market out there for these services. Sure, your not gonna game on them. Sure, its nothing like cable, dsl, or fiber. Sure, its expensive as hell. One thing it is though is that its faster than dialup and while there's a relatively giant level of latency involved with them, once you get used to it, its really not that bad. If your just wanting to get up with the times (like a farmer), or wanting to live a few miles outside of town in a house you had built with your own money (rich bastards), then you might be outside the broadband belt and this is a decent middle ground.

this service is 10000000000 times better than what Hughesnet offers, look them up, its super pure rubbish trash garbage joke of a service.

this service is 10000000000 times better than what Hughesnet offers, look them up, its super pure rubbish trash garbage joke of a service.
Wildblue offers satellite internet with similar specs to that of the DirecTV plans -- but like 1.5-2x more expensive, but I think it comes with more bandwidth than what DirecTV will offer. I'm probably wrong on this.

Wildblue offers satellite internet with similar specs to that of the DirecTV plans -- but like 1.5-2x more expensive, but I think it comes with more bandwidth than what DirecTV will offer. I'm probably wrong on this.

They sell 7.5 to 25gb plans.

As mentioned, this is probably for those who live in some remote places with no internet access. But once a person gets on the internet, eventually it will be hard to maintain a low usage when they discover the wonders of online streaming and online software distribution. :p

And they'll find out that 10GB is not even enough to install certain games.

for all the gaming comparisons, this really isnt targeted for gamers at all, 1500ms lag time previously, and will never have ping capable of supporting an online game. business type peoples who live in rural areas love this option.

though rough math (22 miles there and 22 miles back / 186,000) tells me the speed of light to a geosynchronous orbit's location and back should only be 240ms me thinks, beyond that, its likely data compression and conversion that consumes the rest of the ping time experienced

i used to be an installer for hughes net, and wildblue, and directway, and starband.

for all the gaming comparisons, this really isnt targeted for gamers at all, 1500ms lag time previously, and will never have ping capable of supporting an online game. business type peoples who live in rural areas love this option.

though rough math (22 miles there and 22 miles back / 186,000) tells me the speed of light to a geosynchronous orbit's location and back should only be 240ms me thinks, beyond that, its likely data compression and conversion that consumes the rest of the ping time experienced

i used to be an installer for hughes net, and wildblue, and directway, and starband.

Yes, 240ms for that one trip up. Now add another 240ms back down to your ISP. Now add all that together again for the return packet.

This is why the bare minimum time is 800ms or so.

This is what I have been waiting for!
To those use to no caps and broadband speeds it may seem like a shit deal but for those of us that are stuck on dialup and only have CDMA 1x towers close by this will be a major break thru. I will be the 1st in my neck of the woods to get this!

This data cap shit is going to come crashing down. I don't know when, but I guarantee it will. We're moving into the age of cloud computing and streaming everything. The internet and cell phone companies are making a money grab now, but there's no way it will last. Eventually some lawmakers are gonna be like "Hey, I want to stream everything and these guys are fucking me. Let's outlaw data caps". Bam.

You'd be surprised how easily lawmakers can be made to look the other direction.

http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000881
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000461
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000079
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000076
http://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000000535

You're looking at closer to 1000-1500ms for RTT latencies, which earns you a free boot off of most gaming servers.

Yep, completely useless for online gaming and voice com.
But that is something I can care less about.
For my job I can live anywhere in the country I want to as long as I can get some form of high speed internet. And I would REALLY love to move out to country and get away from this nasty, fee and regulations laden city. :mad:
But you can forget high speed internet where I would like to live. If I didn't have to have IP telephone, a dish would work since most all the apps I have to use are cloud based.

But would you be able to stream your favorite AMC shows online?

we are actually in the process of dumping dish after many..many years because they will not have AMC back on their lineup anytime soon. we missed breaking bad..:mad: but we are not going to miss the walking dead.

the installers for the new service, TW cable, will be at our door wednesday to hook up the TV. we have already been using them for phone and internet for some time.

bye dish..

Once you get used to city options like 8-9 mb cable speeds, moving back to a rural area sucks. We were hitting 2.5 mb down in the city with cable, but moved to the country. Our only option was the telephone company with a "2 mb" dsl line. Tried it and kept getting disconnected from gaming servers every 5-10 minutes and incredibly high latency. It was worse than the satellite service I had while I was in Iraq. We switched after about a month and a half to some wireless service the power company was offering. I just ran a speed check on dslreports and came out with 439kb/s down and 2.1 mb/s up. Seems weird but I think my in-laws are watching something on the netflix. In any case, it's a shit ton better than the Century Link dsl line we had and cheaper to boot. Much love for my power company out here.

I'm ruined for life.

I have 85Mbit down and 35mbit up with no usage caps with Verizon FiOS.

It has been my conclusion that internet connectivity is important enough to me, that the first criteria on my shopping list if I ever move is that FiOS is available.

Until other service providers catch up, I won't even consider moving somewhere if it doesn't have FiOS. No exceptions.

This is what I have been waiting for!
To those use to no caps and broadband speeds it may seem like a shit deal but for those of us that are stuck on dialup and only have CDMA 1x towers close by this will be a major break thru. I will be the 1st in my neck of the woods to get this!

Personally, I'd just move instead :p

Zarathustra[H];1039189590 said:
I'm ruined for life.

It has been my conclusion that internet connectivity is important enough to me, that the first criteria on my shopping list if I ever move is that FiOS is available.

Until other service providers catch up, I won't even consider moving somewhere if it doesn't have FiOS. No exceptions.

Yep ... I love FiOS also ... although I am only in the 25/25 tier ... They also finally added BBC HD to their cable line up so I can finally watch Dr Who in High Def ... I wish they were available in more areas though ... class act ... hope they don't change

Yep ... I love FiOS also ... although I am only in the 25/25 tier ... They also finally added BBC HD to their cable line up so I can finally watch Dr Who in High Def ... I wish they were available in more areas though ... class act ... hope they don't change

Yeah, I pay for 75/35, but actual speeds wind up being 85/35, which I can live with :D

Downloaded the new free Black Mesa Half Life remake mod via torrent the other day.

Speeds were over 10MB/s. Yes megabytes.

The whole 3.8GB package came down in just over 6 minutes.

Sorry countryside. There is nothing you have that beats this. :p

Zarathustra[H];1039189590 said:
I'm ruined for life.

I 100% agree

no fiber, your not getting my property tax dollars lol

Damn data caps. They should be outlawed. Such bullshit.

This 100%. I finally switched to charter business class connection a while back. No data caps so I don't have to worry about them bit*hing about me going over.

I 100% agree

no fiber, your not getting my property tax dollars lol

It just occurred to me that Fiber internet availability is the new Railroad.

When the railroad came through, some towns got stops, and they flourished. Others didn't and they faded to obscurity.

Same thing happened when the Interstate system was built.

It seems to be like proper high speed internet is doing it again. Further driving urbanization and abandonment of places that aren't covered.

I live in southern silicon valley and even with all those technology companies nearby i am limited to satellite, dial-up, and celullar. Since i have been able to keep my unlimited data card that is what i use but there are lots of people who live near me are not so lucky.

High-speed Internet service...

You'll probably never hear about a new "adequate-speed" or "sufficient-speed" Internet service.

The service will offer 10 Mbps up/1Mbps down for $40 a month.

Latency will still be an issue... No?

Ping will be horrible, you can have the best advertised down and up rate, but the latency will still be shit if your planning on anything other than email and internet browsing.

I live in southern silicon valley and even with all those technology companies nearby i am limited to satellite, dial-up, and celullar. Since i have been able to keep my unlimited data card that is what i use but there are lots of people who live near me are not so lucky.

Live in sunnyvale, only just managed to upgrade to 3Mbps DSL because our location refuses to allow fiber and other competition into the complex.

High-speed Internet service...

You'll probably never hear about a new "adequate-speed" or "sufficient-speed" Internet service.

I think there is a marketing opportunity there that is being missed ...

Do fast internet speeds get you down ... does the information come in so fast you can't absorb it all ... does information overload cause you distress ... then come to dialup world ... we guarantee the slowest internet speeds possible ... just follow our simply download steps:

1. Begin download
2. Take a short nap
3. Wake up and check download
4. Have a snack
5. Check download again
6. Go do your shopping
7. Check download one more time
8. Read a couple of chapters of your favorite book
9. Check download one last time (probably)
10. Go watch that TV show you recorded last night
11. Your download is now finished

See how much more you accomplish with our service than with those so called "high speed" service ... call now ... our operators are standing by :D

The service will offer 10 Mbps up/1Mbps down for $40 a month.

Latency will still be an issue... No?

Yeah, I noticed the avoided that word quite well :)

You can't beat sat latency. It just can't be done. That bird is way the frack up there.

Do fast internet speeds get you down ... does the information come in so fast you can't absorb it all ... does information overload cause you distress ... then come to dialup world ... we guarantee the slowest internet speeds possible ... just follow our simply download steps:

1. Begin download
2. Take a short nap
4. Have a snack
5. Check download again
6. Go do your shopping

See how much more you accomplish with our service than with those so called "high speed" service ... call now ... our operators are standing by :D

I like it! I'd be a lot more productive with super slow internet service anyway. Skribbels are patient creatures too so waiting for a modem to do stuff would be okay as well. The initialization noise is comforting.

1. Begin download
2. Take a short nap
4. Have a snack
5. Check download again
6. Go do your shopping

slowskys-2011.jpg

When I first started in the 90's, 60 B-Channel hours cost me $150 in ISDN fee's, plus the ISP fee.

I dream't about having ISDN's back in the day, but could never afford it.

I was a young teenager at the time. My parents didn't even want me to use the phone lines for dialup :(

Zarathustra[H];1039190827 said:

Gotta love the Slowsky's ... tortoises after my own heart ... or shell ... or something ... I think any internet service that offers more time for naps and snacks is a good thing :p

Back in the day when I was using DirecPC satellite internet, I recall the bandwidth bap being "soft", in that it merely restricted your speeds after hitting your limit, which if I recall was both a daily and a monthly limit...

Excede at least offers uncapped bandwidth during its 12-5am time frame. This was recently announced so all you have to do is grab a download scheduler and set it to grab whatever you want late at night while you sleep so you can have it in the morning. All without hurting your monthly cap.

But really sat internet is for people who don't have the luxury of regular broadband. It's not the best option and makes gaming impossible to a degree but its better than absolutely nothing.

I have some family out the boonies where they live and they actually get a full 5 bars of 4G , so they tether to there phone and use about 10GB a month between them. They would absolutely love to use more and actually get on board streaming video programs and download large files more frequently. But they make it work. Sat service is great for when you are in the middle of nowhere and have no options but in reality LTE towers will likely be the solution for the majority of those people in the next 10 years. Its far cheaper to erect a tower and beam a signal out 5-10 miles than it is to launch a $400+ million dollar sat that can only serve a limited amount of people at maximum capacity.

Zarathustra[H];1039190847 said:
I dream't about having ISDN's back in the day, but could never afford it.
Tell me about it when 1.5Mbps-down ADSL service came out for $49.95 my dick nearly ripped a whole through my jeans I was that excited! Considering I was paying something like $19.95 for Netcom using a 28.8kbps modem!

Just thought I would add that Huges.net just launched a new speed tier and MUCH higher caps to go with it. Looks like a better deal than Excede (if you don't count that they offer uncapped service from 12-5 everyday).

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Hughes-Launches-Faster-Gen4-Broadband-Speeds-121429

•Power: 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up for $60 a month ($50 promotion) with a 20 GB monthly usage cap.

•Power Pro: 10 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up for $80 a month with a 30 GB monthly usage cap.

•Power Max: 15 Mbps down, 2 Mbps up for $100 a month with a 40 GB monthly usage cap.

Best caps I've seen from sat service.

Howdy [H]....Its been quite some time since ive logged in. Just out of curiosity, I did a search for WildBlue. This happened to be the first threadur that came up. Sooo, why was I curious?

I happen to install Exceed for a living :)

Guys, I know we all are [H] and "speed" and "latency" is of utmost concern. But, gaming and streaming videos, downloading stuff DOES work and it is FAST!!!! Granted.....it is Data based, starting from 10g to up to 25g. It was mentioned in an earlier thread...from the hours of 12am to 5am, you can download or do anything you want free of charge.

You "can" play online games with it, totally, but, unfortunately, online games are a constant data hole. Every little piece of info you see change on the screen is, for lack of a more technical term, data transferred and received, which eats up your data plan.

Is it good? Well, it IS good. With proper anti-virus and proper setup of your computer...web pages load up wayyy fast. If you live in the sticks, boonies etc. etc. Excede will give you the internet your looking for.......just dont leave your web browser logged in to Facebook or have your Directv Broadband Deca plugged in. Again, it will eat your data plan.

Also keep in mind that a quality product (which Excede is) is only as good as it was installed. Get a Tech who just slaps it in and doesnt dither the dish correctly, then yes, your going to have problems regardless of a good product.

:)

I'm calling BS on the gaming. My parents who have two Minecraft and Team Fortress 2-addicted munchkins moved from WildBlue (or been upgraded to Excede) and latencies were the usual 1.5-2 seconds average; they changed to HughesNet, same thing. Our satellite dish was installed with clear line of sight and solid signal.

However, true, yes, even if you ignore the latency part it will eat through your data quota very fast.
Howdy [H]....Its been quite some time since ive logged in. Just out of curiosity, I did a search for WildBlue. This happened to be the first threadur that came up. Sooo, why was I curious?

I happen to install Exceed for a living :)

Guys, I know we all are [H] and "speed" and "latency" is of utmost concern. But, gaming and streaming videos, downloading stuff DOES work and it is FAST!!!! Granted.....it is Data based, starting from 10g to up to 25g. It was mentioned in an earlier thread...from the hours of 12am to 5am, you can download or do anything you want free of charge.

You "can" play online games with it, totally, but, unfortunately, online games are a constant data hole. Every little piece of info you see change on the screen is, for lack of a more technical term, data transferred and received, which eats up your data plan.

Is it good? Well, it IS good. With proper anti-virus and proper setup of your computer...web pages load up wayyy fast. If you live in the sticks, boonies etc. etc. Excede will give you the internet your looking for.......just dont leave your web browser logged in to Facebook or have your Directv Broadband Deca plugged in. Again, it will eat your data plan.

Also keep in mind that a quality product (which Excede is) is only as good as it was installed. Get a Tech who just slaps it in and doesnt dither the dish correctly, then yes, your going to have problems regardless of a good product.

:)

Until we figure out a way to beat our current understanding of physics, latency will ALWAYS be an issue with satellite based internet. Satellite based internet uses microwaves to transmit information, these waves travel at the speed of light. Even though that's incredibly fast, it still takes time, and adding in an extra 44,000 miles to the trip the data has to take adds a huge chunk of time in relation to the time it takes the data to travel through ground based means. Sure, it may be enough for some games that don't require reflex response information but RTS, FPS, MMO games....no thanks.

The only reason I don't call PR monkey on this guy is because of the time he's been on the boards. It's one thing to enjoy and be proud of the company you work for, its something else entirely to endorse it for a purpose its not intended/useful for.

Back