Dish Network TV

{NcsO}ReichstaG

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,
We are soon going to purchase cable service from Dish Network. When I went to order it, the people there offered me DVR. I said that I do not want it because I can record to my hard disk drive. Their reply was that you can't because the signals going to the computer are encrypted or something of that sort. I have a Hauppage TV tuner PVR-150. Is this true that with Dish Network I will not be able to watch TV on my computer anymore? Any software that can solve this problem?

-Thanks

Hello,

(Dunno if this is in the right forum ><;)

Yes, Disk Networks use encrypted signals. That's why you have to use a card with the respective decoding key for the network you subscribe. There are several ways to bypass that (yes, ilegally). I do not know how to do it and will not discuss it here, just am aware of its existence :D

www.lyngsat.com --> Might be a good start to learn about networks, channels, satellites and encryptions used.

Regards,

|MKSM|

mksm said:
Hello,

(Dunno if this is in the right forum ><;)

Yes, Disk Networks use encrypted signals. That's why you have to use a card with the respective decoding key for the network you subscribe. There are several ways to bypass that (yes, ilegally). I do not know how to do it and will not discuss it here, just am aware of its existence :D

www.lyngsat.com --> Might be a good start to learn about networks, channels, satellites and encryptions used.

Regards,

|MKSM|
I am not trying to get cable illegaly. I was just wondering, is it possible to use a splitter to split the signal coming out of the DVR or tuner box so my computer can recieve it? If thats not possible, is there decrypting software available?
OR
Is it possible to buy a DVD recorder and record that stuff to a DVD disk?
OR
Is it possible to connect my TV to my TV tuner with AV cables and then record whats on the TV?

Yes, it should be possible to use a splitter coming out of the satellite box and then connect one cable to your PC and the other to your TV. Keep in mind though that you'll only be able to record and watch one channel at the same time.

I remember reading something about IR blasters that you connect to your pc to automatically control the Dish Network / Direct TV/ Digital Cable receiver box. Again, you would only be able to record one channel, but at least you could program it like a DVR.

Splitter is not needed. In fact, nothing is needed. If your Dish Network receiver has S-Video or composite out, you can connect that directly to your capture card. Works perfectly fine.

and this IR blaster thing you speak of will not work...dish network boxes use UHF radio to control, this is much better as it can go through walls and is omni-directional

Dish Network DVR's are UHF, but the base boxes were IR. I don't know if they have been switched to UHF as well.

Base boxes are also UHF...I have them...the older ones were IR, but the new ones are rf

SLiCkFX said:
Splitter is not needed. In fact, nothing is needed. If your Dish Network receiver has S-Video or composite out, you can connect that directly to your capture card. Works perfectly fine.
What about the sound......? AV cables?

Yes, if you use S-video, you will need the RCA audio jacks. That's why I'd say it's probably easier using a splitter. Only one single cable, and RG-6 is pretty cheap so you can get one long enough to reach your PC if it's a ways from your box.

Back